PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Are Cheetahs the tamest of the Big Cats?

Tiger, lion, cougar, leopard, anything cheetah size or larger

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Wolf67

Are Cheetahs the tamest of the Big Cats?

Postby Wolf67 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Many people tell me out of all the Big Cats Cheetahs despite them still being wild animals are the most calmest big cats ever, And there easier to train than a Leopard, Panther, Jaguar and Mountain Lion etc. I also heard something that 1000 years ago Egyptians used Cheetahs as pets for hunting and Egyptian Kings usually had Cheetahs as pets that laid next to them on the throne.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Are Cheetahs the tamest of the Big Cats?

Postby sarajeku » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:26 pm

I've heard the same thing, but I don't have the hands on experience with cheetahs to say whether it's true or not. I'd like to though. I've been around a couple of incredibly laid back mountain lions, so I'd like to see how cheetahs compare.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:21 pm

I've heard that moutain lions and cheetahs are pretty laid back when it comes to big cats. Since I havent' worked with any exotic cats though, I don't really have any experience to prove it or disprove it.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:15 pm

In theory, the tamest are supposed to be cheetahs and snow leopards (of course it varies by individual). They're next to impossible to get though. ;(
blacksagephoenix

Postby blacksagephoenix » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:15 pm

I once worked with a cheetah at White Oaks Conservations here in Florida. She was forcibly hand-reared, and cheetahs are known to imprint on whatever it is raised by. Cheetahs are often raised (in captivity) with an Anatolian Shepherd if they are going to be used in direct contact with people. The dogs help them stay calm and controllable. The cheetah at White Oaks was rejected by its parents and had to be hand-reared. They are one of the cats that cannot be put back with another cheetah because of this imprinting. So, I would say, if human raised, it would be possible to "tame" one to an extent, and I would love to do it one day, but make sure to raise it with a dog similar to an Anatolian Shepherd. I'm gonna look for some of those pics.
*~*~*~*~* Chell *~*~*~*~*

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:18 pm

I've heard that King Cheetahs were used by indigenous people to hunt with in Africa, and that's why their markings are different.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:17 pm

Yes they used to be tamed and used for hunting and not just by kings and till kind of recently in the scheme on things. I used to have a scanned copy of a magazine article with color photos of them in action.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Digging I found this online
http://hatefsvoice.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... n-cheetah/

And this
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... riend.html
After stretching their legs, the cats — who can run 100 metres in 4.5 seconds — even play ‘fetch’ when the tribesmen throw bits of rope for them to chase.

The cheetahs are so tame you can tickle them under the chin, and they drink water from the sinks at the home of 35-year-old Marlice Van Vuuren, who set up the sanctuary in 2007.
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:02 pm

Juska wrote:I've heard that King Cheetahs were used by indigenous people to hunt with in Africa, and that's why their markings are different.

No, king cheetahs are just a mutation. Mainly normal cheetahs were used, but I suppose that's because king cheetahs are rare. Cheetahs have an extremely small gene pool.

My dad once showed me a video of a girl out in the middle of no where with a bunch of cheetahs around her. I'm not sure why there were so many, as they are mainly solitary.
Delight

Postby Delight » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:31 am

My dad once showed me a video of a girl out in the middle of no where with a bunch of cheetahs around her. I'm not sure why there were so many, as they are mainly solitary.

Don't cheetahs live in small prides as well?
Akuma223

Postby Akuma223 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:41 am

Delight-Yeah I think they do. I think its mainly young males who are related will hunt together.
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:05 am

Cheetahs will live in small groups of males that are usually siblings. Occasionally they join up with other males. These groups are usually of about three. Female are solitary until mating season, and then spend their time with their cubs when they are born. So groups are usually 2-4 males, or a mother with 1-3 cubs, give or take. This video had probably ten or so cheetahs together, if I remember correctly.

Edit: I guess someone had posted it as well: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7803
Lionsniper

Postby Lionsniper » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:07 pm

I just had my first experience with a cheetah and he was extremely sweet, very friendly, purring like mad. I've cared for every big cat except for the snow leopard which I believe it more docile than the indian/african/amur leopards, this cat lives at a sanctuary with far too little space for it to stretch its legs.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:03 pm

Cheetahs are like greyhounds they just need to get some sprinting in and then are happy to lay about. They will often do this by letting it chase a lure, when the zoo is closed.
Lionsniper

Postby Lionsniper » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:30 pm

I wish this place would do this, I don't believe they even have close contact with this cheetah anymore, he would make a great ambassador if they had someone experienced to handle him or let an experienced person show them how it is done. They just have more money than sense, they have like 274 acres they could have given him an acre or 2 of enclosure.

Return to “Large Exotic Cats”