PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

My cougar (puma) Carmelo :-))

Tiger, lion, cougar, leopard, anything cheetah size or larger

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BB

Re: My cougar (puma) Carmelo :-))

Postby BB » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:23 am

How majestic! The baby pics look nothing like him, except in the second lot of photos when he was a little older, it seems. As I have no idea about exotic cats my questions are probably rather dumb...
Is he dangerous? These photos look like that you were right in front of him, so can you walk into his cage without being worried? I guess if he is tame it is the same like with my pig or emu, you are always alert and prepared for them to do something unexpected.
How often do you feed him? Is there special care like trimming nails or checking teeth or certain regular shots he needs? (Like I said, probably really lame questions... :roll: icon_confused.gif )
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Cougars are one of the best big cats. A lady on the Rexano list in the past said she was right there as her cougar gave birth. That said you're right any kitty could have a bad day or bad attitude. If I ever got a big cat it would be a cougar but I don't think I'll ever get a small exotic cat much less a big one. I just don't think I'm an exotic cat person.

So I'm thrilled to have someone here posting about theirs, cuz I do like them :)
Amberthebobcat

Postby Amberthebobcat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:42 pm

cat person wrote:I LOVE Carmelo. I have to ask, you, a ton, of questions. So, I apologize, ahead of time :chair: . Yes, you can beat me later, :lol: .

Well, first question, how did Carmelo get his name? I think, he has, an awesome name. Plus, it is so unique, I had to ask.
Funny how he got this name. When I got him as a cub, I was told he was a female. Well, I didn't really look and since the paperwork from the breeder said female, I named "her" Carmela. It wasn't until she went to get spayed, that I found out she was a he :red-face: So, he already knew his name, so I just changed it from Carmela to Carmelo

Second question, how much, roughly, does he cost to feed now? How much, rough order of magnitude, did he cost to feed, when, he was growing? Lastly, on that topic, what do you feed him? Well, he gets approx 5-7 pounds of food per day (the higher amount during the winter season) So you can kinda go from there. I feed him lots of chicken leg quarters and I know people who hunt, so I also get plenty of deer meat as well. I love the looks on people's faces when I go shopping for my cats, because the cart is full of chicken lol. I get leg quarters for about $4.90 per 10 pound bag. I also have the bobcats to feed and there is also the wild feline vitamin supplement that is added to the food. That is a little over $100 for a 25 pound container.

Next, question, I am guessing, he lives, outside, full time? If not, what is he like in the house? Do you have a house left :lol: ? I see, when, he was smaller, he was indoors. What was it like having him inside with you? How destructive was he? Regarding, both, breaking house hold items and inappropriate urination. Yes, he now lives 100% of the time outdoors. I wouldn't have much left inside if he was inside the house now lol. He lived indoors until he was approx 100 pounds. He always got to go outside, but when he hit the 100 pound weight, he had to be out all the time. I loved when he was inside with me. Slept in bed with me all night sucking my thumb. As for the urination. He would use the litter box (very large) but cougars are very lazy. They will pee where they are sleeping. He will pee in his den box, rather then go outside. That's just how cougars are. One day he was drinking water in the kitchen and peeing at the same time.

Thank you, in advance for answering all those questions. Yes, I have more :roll: . Poor poor, you :mrgreen: .No problem :icon-wink:

In the cougar's den with 4 domestic cats, 5 bobcats and 1 loving cougar :-)
Amberthebobcat

Postby Amberthebobcat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:08 pm

BB wrote:How majestic! The baby pics look nothing like him, except in the second lot of photos when he was a little older, it seems. As I have no idea about exotic cats my questions are probably rather dumb...
Is he dangerous? These photos look like that you were right in front of him, so can you walk into his cage without being worried? I guess if he is tame it is the same like with my pig or emu, you are always alert and prepared for them to do something unexpected. First, I don't think any questions are dumb, so please ask anything you want to know :icon-wink: No, he is not dangerous, he loves people and will purr and chirp at anyone. BUT, I never forget that he is a very powerful cat at approx 230 pounds. Yes I go in with him all the time, but I never do anything dumb with him (such as wrestle) and I always have a bite stick with me. The stick is NEVER used to hit him, but used to place between me and him, should he decide to get very playful. He likes to try and trip me, by smacking the back of my legs lol. He just wants to play, but a cougar plays very rough. If he gets rough, I place the stick in front of him. He can grab the stick and I use the stick as a toy and then I walk out of the enclosure. But, I know how to read him just by looking at him. Just by the way he is walking around, I can tell if he is in a mood for lovins or if he wants to play. If he is in the playful mood, I won't go in with him.
How often do you feed him? Is there special care like trimming nails or checking teeth or certain regular shots he needs? He gets fed once per day, usually in the evening. No nail trimming is needed, he can take care of that on his own by clawing on items in his enclosure, logs and such and his favorite toy....pumpkins in the fall. I check his teeth on my own, I can hold onto his fangs. I would play with his teeth all the time when he was a cub, so he still lets me do this today. He gets regular vaccinations as with my other cats (Like I said, probably really lame questions... :roll: icon_confused.gif )
Amberthebobcat

Postby Amberthebobcat » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:00 am

A few more Carmelo pics icon_biggin.gif
Attachments
430323_363763873643681_100000302138037_1222908_863128190_n.jpg
423448_363762170310518_100000302138037_1222895_1730044904_n.jpg
422757_363763016977100_100000302138037_1222901_507546814_n.jpg
codycatz

Postby codycatz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:05 am

The very definition of REGAL!
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:47 pm

codycatz wrote:I had the distinct privilege of meeting Carmelo in his awesome real self. He is indeed a tribute to the great love and care he gets and a good poster boy for responcible ownership of such cats.

Did you get, to, touch/interact with him? I am guessing not, but, had to ask.

Amberthebobcat wrote: No nail trimming is needed, he can take care of that on his own by clawing on items in his enclosure, logs and such and his favorite toy....pumpkins in the fall.

Wait, you go into, the enclosure, with, a fully clawed Cougar? If so, how, do you manage it? My, F3 Savannah, at a mere, eleven pounds, can sherd me, like Swiss Cheese. Yes, it is play. But, the end result, is, still the same.

Amberthebobcat wrote:I check his teeth on my own, I can hold onto his fangs. I would play with his teeth all the time when he was a cub, so he still lets me do this today.

If, you could get, a photo, of you, playing, with his canine teeth, that, would be COOL :mrgreen: !

Lastly, the photo's, you, just posted of Carmelo, are great. You, made my day icon_biggin.gif !

Amberthebobcat

Postby Amberthebobcat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:48 pm

He's just a big baby, what can I say icon-smile When he was a cub, I played with his teeth/fangs and feet all the time. I'll see if I can get a pic of his fangs and me holding them. Should post a video, because you would hear him purring as well.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:04 pm

I would love to see a video. Your cougar is just beautiful.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Amberthebobcat

Postby Amberthebobcat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Not sure how good the quality will be with my phone, but I will give it a try.
Amberthebobcat

Postby Amberthebobcat » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:48 pm

OAAO
300 Stichter Rd.
Pleasant Hill, OH 45359
Ph: (937) 676-2058
Email: oaao@windstream.net
On the web: www.oaao.us
URGENT !!!
Your attendance is needed at the next hearing of Ohio Senate Bill 310. This bill if
passed will ban a long list of exotic and native mammals and reptiles and will allow
Ohio’s Director of Agriculture to add even more animals to the list.
We need you to come to the next hearing which is tentatively scheduled for the
morning of Tuesday, April 17, 2012. Bring others with you; we need to fill the
hearing room. At the last hearing on March 27, over 200 animal owners showed up.
We need to do it again and let the Senate committee know that the animal owners of
Ohio oppose this legislation that’s being pushed on us by Jack Hanna, the Columbus
Zoo, Governor Kasich, and the Humane Society of the U.S.
Address where the hearing will be held:
Ohio Statehouse
78 S. High St.
Columbus, OH 43215
Meet in the Rotunda at 10:00 a.m. and you will be shown to the hearing room.
Even if you are not an Ohio resident, if you do business in Ohio, you need to be at the
hearing.
Important: Email oaao@windstream.net or call (937) 676-2058 on or after Friday,
April 13 to confirm that the hearing is still scheduled for that day. The Senate
committee Chairman could change the date, time, or even cancel the hearing, so it’s
very important that you call or email us before driving to Columbus.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:32 am

I was just re-looking at the pictures of Carmelo and I noticed his enclosure. I can't see it well in the pictures, but it looks really nice. Is there chain link up top? For a moment I thought the walls of his enclosure was a wooden fence, but that obviously can't be right, lol. Also, what are the dimensions of the enclosure? Sorry for the questions. I'm just always interested in other peoples' setups.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Amberthebobcat

Postby Amberthebobcat » Thu May 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Ash wrote:I was just re-looking at the pictures of Carmelo and I noticed his enclosure. I can't see it well in the pictures, but it looks really nice. Is there chain link up top? For a moment I thought the walls of his enclosure was a wooden fence, but that obviously can't be right, lol. Also, what are the dimensions of the enclosure? Sorry for the questions. I'm just always interested in other peoples' setups.

Yes, the enclosure is covered. The top and sides are 9 gauge cattle panels, no wooden fences lol. The enclosure is approx 1100 square feet.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 04, 2012 9:29 pm

It sounds/looks really nice. I'm sure he enjoys having all that space to himself. Thanks for answering.

Have you ever considered getting him a girlfriend and breeding him?
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:06 pm

Awww he is absolutely stunning :D Especially as a tiny cub XD How much does it cost annually to maintain him? And I've seen mountain lions wrestle, and it gets very very rough!!

(Skip to 0:30 for the live action)
http://youtu.be/J5mnUbJ5-rI
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage

Return to “Large Exotic Cats”