TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Federal ban bill on large cats

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Also posted in the legal issues section

I don't have the actual text yet
http://mckeon.house.gov/this_in_detail.aspx?NewsID=2026

The Big Cats and Public Safety Protection Act would prohibit private possession of big cats except at highly-qualified facilities, like accredited zoos, where they can be properly cared for and restrained. Also, since nobody, including the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), state agencies, or local first responders knows exactly how many dangerous big cats are being kept in private hands, under what conditions, and in what locations, the bill would require any persons who currently possess big cats to register those animals with USDA in order to keep the cats they currently own. The bill would also outlaw the breeding of any big cat except at accredited zoos and research and educational institutions. Violators of the law could have their animals confiscated along with any vehicles or equipment used to aid in their illegal activity, and could face stiff penalties including fines as much as $20,000, and up to five years in jail.
amyers

Re: Federal ban bill on large cats

Postby amyers » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:10 pm

:wall: Hopefully the house realizes that there are more important things going on in the world. The non-human primate bill died, so let's hope this one does too.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Amberthebobcat

Postby Amberthebobcat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:25 pm

amyers wrote::wall: Hopefully the house realizes that there are more important things going on in the world. The non-human primate bill died, so let's hope this one does too.

We can only hope it does. :wall:
In the cougar's den with 4 domestic cats, 5 bobcats and 1 loving cougar :-)
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:00 am

In another thread in this forum, I mentioned the episode of the nature of things called 'the american tiger'. They actually had someone in the government talking who was attempting to collect information on how many captive tigers there are in the USA and pushing for a ban. This might have been what they were working on.
amyers

Postby amyers » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:28 pm

I am working on a "form letter" that will address the major issues covered in this bill and stereotypes of exotic cat owners. If anyone knows any info on legal monopolies please link me or pm me. That is what this will be since you will only be allowed to exhibit if AZA.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:28 pm

CapWiz now you have no excuse not to help

http://www.capwiz.com/gwpark/issues/ale ... d=61054931

PS yeah the monopoly thing is a good one. AZA is a private business org and it's not right to just let one company do business in a field, all need equal chance.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:53 pm

What can I do? There's lots of info about contacting senators but I don't have one since I don't live in the US. Can I still send a letter to someone? I have a feeling they wouldn't take it seriously because I don't live in the US
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:10 pm

Maybe you could email senators anyway. Yeah it may not get much attention but on the other hand the AR are always pointing at other countries and saying how they have stronger laws so letters from people outside the country saying the other view might help some too. to counter that
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:56 pm

More bills on exotics???! GOSH they need to get their stupid facts straight! Exotic pets are NOT dangerous. :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair:
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage

Return to “Large Exotic Cats”