PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Factual help needed re: lions and tigers (no bears :) )

Tiger, lion, cougar, leopard, anything cheetah size or larger

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Factual help needed re: lions and tigers (no bears :) )

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:07 pm

The only time male lions are together are when they are brothers, in the wild. The males chase even their own sons off once they reach a certain age.

Tigers is different. I've seen large groups of tigers together in captivity. They are happy long as fed well.
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Yes, at the two sanctuaries that we go to they feed all the cats through a small door in the enclosure. We feed our bobcat mostly in his enclosure since he mainly eats whole chickens, but when we feed him chicken quarters or other meats from the store we feed him in the house. When he is in the house he tends to play with the food more like he is attacking it, throwing it in the air and pouncing on it. It's really cool to watch. I know the Cincinatti Zoo has a cheetah run, but not for the other big cats.
Taj's mom

Postby Taj's mom » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:20 am

Thank you so much for the answers, those really help! I didn't even think about the lazy nature of some cats, lol. I'll have to change that in the book. I do show the lions being fed through small doors in the enclosure that hold the food bowl, but it sounds like most don't use bowls to put the food it, just put it in the cage, right?

I wrote that each enclosure is about 3/4 to 1 acre large, more for more than one cat, has a running water source, a den that can be closed off during cleaning with the cat inside, and appropriate climbing enrichment.

Does anyone have an idea about what types of circumstances would cause two bonded lions to suddenly dislike each other and act aggressively towards each other? It's a background story for two of the cats, one who loses an eye and is scarred from the attack.

Thanks again for the answers so far, I really want this project to be as factually correct as possible while showing the majesty and beauty of these creatures.
Talys

Postby Talys » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:58 pm

I have a question, when can I read this book?? =D
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 pm

I'd like to read it too!

Taj's mom, I didn't see your last question until just now.
Do they necessarily have to dislike each other? I saw some pretty brutal fights between Singa and Serandi. Mostly it was Singa telling Serandi off, and him grumbling because he didn't get his way, but he would end up getting smacked around quite a bit. It was always very noisy and unnerving to watch. I was always sure one of them would get hurt, but as soon as he backed down, she'd go along her merry way like nothing ever happened.
Taj's mom

Postby Taj's mom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks sarajeku and Talys :red-face: I'm pretty excited about this project, even though it's still in the editing phase. I have another novel coming out in September that I will be focusing on promotion-wise, so this one will probably have to stay in the editing phase until then. I hope to have it out before too long, though :) Thanks!
Taj's mom

Postby Taj's mom » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Sarajeku,

What are your enclosures like? In the book, the cats are in a huge enclosure with a smaller "den"-like area that can be closed off for cleaning and maintenance. Sound about right? If not, how do you go about cleaning the enclosures?
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:50 pm

I don't have many good pictures of it them, but here are the ones that are posted.

The cats have a concrete den that they can sleep in or lay on top of, depending on their mood. The lions had two sides to their enclosure. One was more shaded than the other so that was usually where their water was kept (depending on the season, but it was moved from time to time). Both sides needed cleaning (poop scooping, dens cleaned and sprayed out, leftover rotting meat removed, etc) and they could be closed into either side to clean it. There is a perimeter fence to keep people from trying to put their hands into the enclosure and pet the pretty lions.
The first picture (the one taken in the dark) shows the gate to the second side of the enclosure.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:55 pm

sarajeku wrote:The cats we have (and had previously) there are too lazy to chase it even if we did. Maybe super early in the morning or really late in the evening (cooler parts of the day) but the times I'm there, they'd just stare at it as it zipped by. haha

And people claim lions need more exercise than dogs XP
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage

Return to “Large Exotic Cats”