Sand cat hybrids

Bengal, Savannah, and Chausie, all Hybrids of domestic cats with exotic/wild cat species

Moderator: Ash

macmanmatty

Re: Sand cat hybrids

Postby macmanmatty » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:55 pm

I would blood type both cats. Persians can carry or be type b blood and although most wild cats in the felis genus are Type A blood they could possibly be carrying type b blood.  All most all cats are either type A blood "AA" OR type A carrying for b blood " Ab" or type b blood "bb" There is a fourth type of blood that cats can have called type AB blood where types A and B blood are co dominate (normally type A blood is dominate and b is recessive to A) But in this case the cat has both blood types (this is NOT caused simply by being type A carrying for b alone either ; there is more to than that and not much is under stood about it). But if a kittens blood type can differ from the mother especially if they could be type b and mother is type A then you should not let them nurse for the first 48-72 hours because of the antibodies present in the mothers colostrum during that time period. If they are type b and the mother is type A and you let them nurse for over 24 hours they will most likely die due the A antibodies being present in the colostrum and the fact b type blood cats cannot take any A type blood transfusions at all due to the difference in the antibodies. I hope that explains it let me know if you need anything cleared up or explained better.
Stripes

Postby Stripes » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi there macmanmitty,
I do understand the risks between mating a type A stud to a type B queen, however to my knowledge it's actually only the first 24 hours that pose an issue. Though some british shorthair breeders say that only 18 hours is necessary ( BSH's as a breed are much more prone to different blood types). I was planning on having Bee (my queen) tested with langfords vets in bristol before any kittens would be born if blood typing was an issue for the breed. I won't be typing my sand cat and will assume he is A for now as obviously B stud to A or B queens poses no compatibility issues. It is only a type A stud to a B queen where the antibodies will effect otherwise healthy kittens. I will however be testing any further queens I intend to put him to (If this litter is successful).

Thank you for the advice. I have got kitten milk replacement and feeding bottles on hand and do have experience in hand rearing kittens (but only domestic) from a rescue I worked at.

If you know anything about the potential size of the hybrid kittens I'd be very interested. The average domestic kitten is born weighing about 90 grams where as sand cat kittens weigh between 39 and 60ish grams. That is quite a size difference for a little one and I'm worried about them being too small at birth or much more fragile than the average mog.

Thanks again for your reply
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Hi I would not worry about the kittens being to small at birth as long as they are to term
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:01 am

Stripes wrote: I won't be typing my sand cat and will assume he is A for now as obviously B stud to A or B queens poses no compatibility issues. It is only a type A stud to a B queen where the antibodies will effect otherwise healthy kittens.

Actually that is wrong. If you mate a b stud to a queen that is A carrying for b then 50% of the kittens will be b. and they cannot nurse from her because her blood type is A because is dominate and no co-dominate. Also if you mate two A carrying for b kittens together then 25% of the kittens will be b and cannot nurse from the mother either. And finally if you mate a b queen to a A carrying for b stud then 50% of the kittens will be A and should not nurse from the mother as this can still pose problems in the kittens as type A kittens still should not receive type b blood just like in humans. There is no universal donar blood type in cats like type O in humans. Their is a universal receiver however called type AB but it is very rare in all cats and what all causes the cat to get that type of blood is not known yet.
Stripes

Postby Stripes » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:24 pm

As far as I understood it, it is ok to breed blood type B studs to A queens because the Anti B antibodies are too weak to cause any harm.

I'm sending a sample off to langford vets on Monday (I dont want a sample stuck in the post over sunday). I havent taken it yet and will do it right before it is sent off.

I've been to see a local vet today but not my normal vet. He offered me a scan to count the kittens next week but I don't think I will be having her scanned simply because I don't think she would appreciate the stress and also because I don't really want her clipped. She isn't the sort of cat that likes being pulled around at the best of times either so I imagine she would be annoyed and wriggly during the whole ordeal. I asked him about the blood typing test but it was just under 3 times the price there for a snap test (usually used in emergency for blood transfusions) as it is for me to send my own sample off and wait a week for results. I was also told that the snap tests used cannot detect AB blood and will show them as A.

She is well today and has just started to show a little. I have upped her feed as her appetite has grown considerably over the past few days. I'm unsure if I should be giving her anything special, but I have started to give her a bit of natures menu kitten food (not the raw variety). She is still currently ok being around my sand cat but I'm getting the impression that she would rather her own space now, I plan on having them separated by next weekend so she can settle into the upstairs of our house. I have started to put together the normal things like clean blankets and a birthing box. The bedroom is where hopefully she will be having the kittens so that I can keep a close eye on her as it is her first litter (though knowing my luck she will vanish into the spare room one night and have them in my wardrobe!). I have also found a good emergency vet in case things don't go to plan but I'm hopeful it will be a trouble free birth.

Getting excited already, goodness knows what I will be like in a few weeks!!! ^__^
Gian94

Postby Gian94 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi my name is Gianfranco

I was wondering sand cat and the british short hair what was the reason why these two cats, was there something of British short hair had something for the sand cat to have a litter? How the litter doing are they fully grown yet or to small is sand cat father helps out or no? I was wondering can the sand cat and cheetoh cat breed to have litter it will be so cool? May I see any picture i am a big fan of cats because when I was little my cat save me because I was afraid of mouse and he attack it to save me lol pleae email me
shunra

Postby shunra » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:52 am

Did she have any kittens? I think she was due around the 10th August.
EpicCatsMeow

Postby EpicCatsMeow » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:04 pm

Was reading up on good looking non-domestic cats and came across Sand Cats -- they look great!
Immediately thought of whether a hybrid have ever been attempted and sold, googled it, and came across this thread. So being curious, I read over all and not getting to any difinite conclusion on whether this cross would work, decided to move on to other places that discuss the same topic.

But just now I found this peculiar article, and instantly thought of this thread and the OP: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/new-b ... 34151.html

Man, if the OP and these people are the same people (key points OP lives in the UK, Sand Cat male is named "Trevor") and this isn't just coincidence, amazing work on that!! Would love to see pictures of any of the kittens as kittens or mature cats, genuinely curious how those look and if they have any health issues (if at all)

Wonderful cats those Sand Cats are, though!!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:41 am

Cool. Thanks for sharing that.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hecate

Postby hecate » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:39 pm

There are pictures of some F1s here:

http://pictures-of-cats.org/marguerite- ... ybrid.html
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:58 pm

They are cute.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:20 am

Oh. Wow. They look awesome. I wonder if they ever started selling them yet.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:05 pm

Adorable! Hope to see them in the US pet trade.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 1 leopard gecko, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, mink, bat eared fox, jerboa, lemur (brown or white ruffed), egyptian fruit bat.

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic cats”