PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

outdoor enclosure

Bengal, Savannah, and Chausie, all Hybrids of domestic cats with exotic/wild cat species

Moderator: Ash

macmanmatty

outdoor enclosure

Postby macmanmatty » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:59 am

I am planning on building and outdoor enclosure for my savannah right now just the male but there will be females in future. For those who have an outdoor enclosure made of chain link fence what gauge did you use I was thinking of going with 11.5 gauge is that to light? Or should I get 9 gauge? I was going to secure it with on to 2x4s every 2 ft. This is going underneath our house so the enclosure will be at least 15x10 ft and 8 ft high. I am screwing 2x4s in to concrete floor and bottom of house then running 2x4 pots every 2 ft to hold the wire. The corner posts will screwed to 16x16 cement filled concrete posts that are holding up our house. I was planning on buying 4ft fencing and doubling up to make it 8 ft high. Is that ok? Should I have the bottom 2ft closed off with no wire? I could use cement board for this?

let em know what you did for your enclosures and if you'd like to include a pic that would nice.
Delight

Re: outdoor enclosure

Postby Delight » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:32 pm

I personally have not had a problem using the 11.5 guage chainlink as long as it's stretched tight! We also have some enclosures built out of the 9 guage, and those are nice because they wear better with cat spray *yuck* but as far as cat's escaping; either gauge will likely be fine to keep them in. Our enclosures are built on the ground (not on concrete) as it's hard on the cat's feet, but the concrete does make it a lot easier to clean. I have one enclosure (for my geoffs) that is built with 4ft chainlink (doubled) to make 8ft tall and it worked fine, but I did zip tie the chainlink together where it met in the middle so the cats wouldn't push out of the over lapping chainlink (or get stuck trying to push out.) I typically like to bury my chainlink in the ground about a foot to prevent escaping out of the bottom, but I am not sure how well that would work with concrete. Your other option would be to run 2 X 4's around the bottom and nail the chainlink to the 2X4s (we have a couple enclsoure that are done like that) and it works pretty well.
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Hello delight here some pics of my finished product.
Here are some pictures of my enclosure in the final stages all that's left are lights and a building a little more cat furniture. It has 2 9x10 areas one 8x8 area and 5x8 storage area acting as double door. The 2 9x10 rooms are chain link fence enclosed with 2x4 on 2 ft centers and plywood on few walls. They are 8ft tall rooms with a board celling. The 8x8 room is insulated with r-3 foam board and r-9 fiberglass . This is where kittens will be born and live out there first 6-8 weeks. It is also 8ft high and has 2 windows. All rooms have concrete floor.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/img3572y.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/img3577sg.jpg/
Delight

Postby Delight » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Looks like a nice set up Jesse!

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic cats”