PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

SI/AI anyone?

Bengal, Savannah, and Chausie, all Hybrids of domestic cats with exotic/wild cat species

Moderator: Ash

macmanmatty

SI/AI anyone?

Postby macmanmatty » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:49 am

As you may know I have f1 savannah that won't breed anything so I was going to sell her. But in past 2 weeks I have gotten 3 offers from people who are going to SI /AI her and give me a kitten back. That got me thinking it can't be to hard / expensive if I have gotten three offers from people offering to do it; so why don't I do t it myself. I was looking up AI but surgical insemInation seems to have a better rate of success and seems to cost less (but all the costs I can see seem to be based on large dogs so maybe they are easier to work with) and more vets can do it than AI?? Has anyone done this with cats?? I know laser girl was going to try with her geoffroys cat but I don't think she ever did. For anyone who has done this or know someone who has I have couple of questions. What was the cost?? Did a specialized vet have to do it? How many kittens /puppies were born? Would you do it again? Did the animal need a c-section to deliver? Also does anyone know where to get serval sperm?? I was talking to one of the guys who was going to do surgical insemInation and he said he know a guy in texas named Dave Mc something who servals and savannahs using this method and can get sperm from him. Does anyone know him??

Thanks

Macmanmatty
Godzillasuarus Rex

Re: SI/AI anyone?

Postby Godzillasuarus Rex » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:55 am

Honestly I've been wondering about AI in cats too. Unfortunately I'm afraid I couldn't help you. I've tried researching, but I couldn't find any websites. My best guess is to talk to a vet about it.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:35 pm

I have read that it can be done on cats, but that it is much harder to do than it is with dogs. Speaking to an experienced vet would honestly be the best thing to do, or meeting up with someone who has actually done it themselves before. I recall reading that it's more... "invasive"? than just sticking sperm up into them, but I have not researched the topic myself fully enough to know why that is the case.

I think you should look for somebody who has done it before and use them as a "mentor," or find a vet who can do it. Then you would know for sure how to do it yourself and know whether it's something that's able to be done in a home setting.

A mod here, Lasergrl, bred savannahs for a while if I remember correctly. But I know she's super busy and has a lot going on, so it may be hard to get a hold of her. She's also a vet tech and very knowledgeable, so would know more about it than most people here.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:22 am

this post is from 2013 I no longer own my f1 savannah I got her fixed and adopted her out to a good home in south FL.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Sorry you didn't get an answer sooner but I'm sure it was just a matter of no one knowing at the time.

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic cats”