PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

DNA Testing.

Bengal, Savannah, and Chausie, all Hybrids of domestic cats with exotic/wild cat species

Moderator: Ash

AzureWolf

DNA Testing.

Postby AzureWolf » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:58 pm

I understand that DNA testing on dogs and cats are not really taken serious on the "Registered" level. However, for personal information it seems to be able to tell you quite a bit about your companions. Does anyone recommend a testing center? There seem to be quite a few. It would be for my two Bengal ladies. Ive been doing a lot of research into the genetics, especially the dominant and recessive genes when it comes to breeding. So far I know Spotting is dominant to Marble, Brown is dominant to Snows, Silver is co dominant to Browns. None can carry for Seal Mink. Seal Mink is created with two separate recessives - Seal Lynx Point and Seal Sepia. Snows and Marbles are recessives, but good ones. :D
Sephoracat

Re: DNA Testing.

Postby Sephoracat » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:49 pm

I personally use UC Davis in California for all of my genetic testing. They can color coat test and pk def test. Pk def testing is crucial when breeding bengals. I just swab the mouth of the cat and send it in once i have paid for the test. You are correct with your colors. Brown is dominant over the snow type bengals. Silver is an inhibitor gene which blocks the actual color of the cat. Unfortunately it can not be tested for. Bengals actually come in many colors, silver, brown, lynx, mink, sepia, melanistic(black), chocolate, cinnamon and blue. Many of these colors can be combined to express different phenotypes. I have a chocolate mink female. She is the only one of her color combination known. I love color genetics! If you have any questions please feel free to message me!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:44 pm

Ooh, could I see your chocolate mink one? That sounds like it could be pretty. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Sephoracat

Postby Sephoracat » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Sure thing! She is very light for mink. For the longest time I thought she was a seal lynx until I had her tested. She also carries cinnamon which lightens her coat.
Attachments
IMG_9985.JPG
IMG_9985.JPG (13.69 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
IMG_9976.JPG
IMG_9976.JPG (13.9 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:27 pm

She's very pretty.
Sephoracat

Postby Sephoracat » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Thank you, she is my unique baby. I am hoping for her first litter this winter. I am so excited to see her kittens.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:14 pm

Wow, she is gorgeous. I think it's awesome how much dedication and knowledge you have towards your breeding program. Too many people just get a male, a female, and throw them together. It sounds like all of your breedings are well-planned and thought out.

What does your F2 look like, out of curiosity? Sometimes they can turn out really leopard cat-looking.

Have you ever thought of getting into savannahs?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Sephoracat

Postby Sephoracat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Thank you. I have worked hard to get my program where it is. Most of my cats have amazing temperaments and are quit affectionate. My main goal in the next year is to improve my silvers and snows.
My F2 is a rescue. He was in a home were he was not provided the appropriate environment and he began to lash out at his owners. I took him and put him with my stud in an outdoor enclosure and now he is as happy as can be. :) He does not like affection but that is ok by me. He is fixed but was sterile anyways being an F2 male. I may be adding an F1 female to my program in the coming weeks. She is very exotic and a good keeper.
I have thought about Savannahs but I have enough work cut out for me raising my bengals. lol Maybe in the future!

My F2's name is Stryker. I have attached a pic of him.
Attachments
IMG_2732.JPG
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:40 pm

Wow, he's one gorgeous kitty. :) I'm glad he's with you. I didn't know F2 males were sterile.

What got you into bengals? I always think it's neat to see what animals people are attracted to, and everyone always has different stories on how they "got started."

Do you have a website or anything? Or a facebook business page?
Sephoracat

Postby Sephoracat » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:26 pm

I have always loved cat and also love the exotic cats. I am also currently doing research on population size of striped hyena and Arabian wolves in Jordan. I am actually finishing that up. My life revolves around animals, domestic and exotic. I love the genetics behind breeding and bengals have very interesting genetics. Eventually I would like to move on to other exotics if I do not take up working as a biologist.
My website is sephorabengals.weebly.com and with my facebook page all you have to do is type in Sephorabengals and it pulls right up.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Cool. :) I may have to go check out your page and see more pictures of your cats.

I too love striped hyenas, and they are on my list of animals I would like to own. What does your research entail?
Sephoracat

Postby Sephoracat » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:59 pm

My research has been to calculate population size and waterhole use of striped hyena in Dana Nature Reserve in Jordan. I am sent data collected from camera traps set up by artificial waterholes. I receive all the photos taken each year. I go through all of them and record each animal spotted. When a hyena is photographed I compare it to other photos gathered. The individual patterns are what help me identify each hyena and help better understand how large the population is. I also traveled to Jordan to meet the local rangers and visit the waterholes where are cameras are set up. It was an amazing place.
I would love to own a striped hyena one day. I wold love to study their behavior.

I added a pic of a Hyena from the camera traps :)
Attachments
Camera B15 (240).JPG
Camera B15 (240).JPG (7.85 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:59 pm

That's really cool. Sounds like something I'd love to do, lol. I think they're gorgeous--them, and aardwolves. The spotteds are pretty too, but in their own way.

I'm hoping I can really work toward owning one.
Sephoracat

Postby Sephoracat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:36 pm

Same here, I just love them! ;)

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic cats”