PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

bobcat hybrids?

Bengal, Savannah, and Chausie, all Hybrids of domestic cats with exotic/wild cat species

Moderator: Ash

macmanmatty

bobcat hybrids?

Postby macmanmatty » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:07 pm

You all say bobcat / domestic crosses don't exist but, I saw the photo attachment on a texasbowhunter.com on thread talking about hunting bobcat hybrids. It that a hybrid or pure bobcat (the orange one not the other)?

I also have a new litter of kittens now that I think my be part bobcat. The mother of mine is f2 jungle cat / bengal hybrid, she had six kittens 3 marbled with GREAT horizontal / diagonal flow and three rosetted kittens. All of them have ocelli with darker ears and ear tufts none of which the mother has other than really faint ocelli. They also all have short tails that are NOT bob tails just REALLY short full tails. They only male cats I have seen around here are bobacts other than one stray male who has none of the features mentioned. They are only one week old will post pics of them when bigger
Attachments
bob.jpg
Last edited by macmanmatty on Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: bobcat hybrids?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:14 pm

It's pure.

Well get them genetically tested and prove it then you could get rich. Despite tons of attempts to get them to breed in captivity nothing takes. Despite lots of genetic testing no hybrid have ever been found. You would be the first to have proven bobcat hybrids the kittens would be worth a fortune. The cost of the genetic testing should be easily worth it to you.
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:19 pm

where can I get said testing done please do tell!!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:28 pm

Contacting UC Davis would be the best bet. They have all the DNA on file that would be needed and do that kind of testing regularly. It's not something you can just order online though so you need to call and get intouch with the right department and arrange it.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:55 pm

Please let us know the results. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:32 am

on another texasbowhunter forum mystery what is this cat in the pic a bobcat, ocelot, cross of the two, or domestic cross with one of the others?
Attachments
catttt.jpg
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:43 pm

any other ideas for place to do the testing? I contacted uc davis and that's not something they can do, as they have no genetic sample for wild cat markers.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:45 pm

While the feline ancestry test does not test for wild cat ancestry they do have bobcat DNA on file as they do trap and test them for things including DNA. They probably just quoted the info from the feline ancestry test since that's commercially available. It's not a commercially available test but they can do it if you can get connected with the right People. UCD has one of the biggest DNA collections. They are still your best bet.

The Northeast Wildlife DNA Laboratory at East Stroudsburg University in Pennsylvania did a test for someone once but the results were misinterpreted but it saved the animals life. A pure bobcat was confiscated. DNA results were 98% match of bobcat so it got to go home as a hybrid. Reality is since they tested mitochondrial that it was just of a different line(subspecies) than the local ones they compared to. Still their testing should at least show if there is bobcat or not. There credibility is just a bit hurt by the previous case though.
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:23 am

do you have any idea who these right people to contact a ucdavis may be? I have called the veterinary genetics lab and was told nicely they can't do the test. I don't wanna be "THAT" caller who keeps asking for something they can't do.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:53 pm

The Karen C. Drayer Wildlife Health Center is in charge of testing bobcats and mountain lions though I would expect the DNA info gets shared to the Gnome dept. Since it's not a commercial test maybe they'd be more forthcoming if you had your vet call instead. Like testing for coyote blood isn't part of their dog ancestry test either but they have tested to find out if hybrid or pure coyote in some cases, like where they were confiscated or wild rescues(since they don't want to release hybrids). Testing for bobcat would fall into the same category, not commercially available to the public but they can do it, and maybe a vet being more "official" would help.

Found a couple more options though where they can't pretend they don't have bobcat DNA. They did a test of bobcat DNA across the US http://www.furtakersofamerica.com/genetics.pdf

The two institutes on the list of credits are: Iowa State University and Laboratory of Genomic Diversity (well cancer inst. is on there too but they probably just funded it a bit or something and wouldn't have the info one of the others should).
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:25 pm

kitten update finally got a scale to weight them the largest one is 11.5 oz at only 1.5 weeks old. Also one male is flat chested and another one may be as well.
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:58 pm

I finally found a lab to test them. One of the professors at Texas A&M will be testing them as part of his study on bobcats!!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:44 pm

That's cool. Keep us updated.
macmanmatty

Postby macmanmatty » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:02 pm

not heard back yet but they'd better be part bobcat I have one heafty food bill to pay off at 5 weeks old the momma cat and her 6 kittens are eating 2 llbs of canned food PER DAY plus a bowl of dry aswell.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:41 pm

Any idea when you'll hear back? Did they give you a time frame at all?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic cats”