PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Bengal cats?

Bengal, Savannah, and Chausie, all Hybrids of domestic cats with exotic/wild cat species

Moderator: Ash

FoxAdorer817

Bengal cats?

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:31 pm

Ok, well, now I have taken up an interest in Bengal cats (as opposed to a fox, and probably a dog as well.), because they honestly seem like the most perfect cat [for my situation and me at least] (Thank you, Wesley!), so, I'd like to learn more about them - I already read about 4 pages on them, but I'm wondering about some personal experiences with people or what they have read about them... ...I honestly don't know what to put after that, but that seemed to short...Oh well, I guess that's it. ^_^
Thanks. ;)
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Let alone the coloring - they have beautiful faces too! :D

....Didn't realize that they cost more than a gray fox or a dog too though...so I guess that means I won't be getting one this year if I actually get one. :?
Attachments
Bengal closeup.jpg
I like this one so much I made it my profile picture on Facebook. ^_^
Bengal closeup.jpg (89 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:46 pm

They to me are just like domestic cats apart from being a bit more active and they HATE restraint (like being forced to be held). They are also prone to health conscerns like IBD and food allergies.
Of course higher generation ones will be more dog like and less cat like but your average SBT bengal is just like a hyper domestic shorthair.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:07 am

Ok, interesting, thanks. ...Thing is though- I don't even know how to care for domestic cats, I don't know much about them- I've only studied exotics as pets, and I know nothing about normal domestic pets (except chinchillas and hamsters...then again, I never researched hamsters, so I technically don't know much about them- but I figured they were simple to care for and learned over time from experience I suppose.)
So, is there anything special to owning a cat I should know about? Or even anything non-special, besides I have to give it food and water everyday. Hah...

Oh, and one more good thing about choosing a cat over a fox is that I've already found 7 breeders within my state for bengals. Hehe..
Elina

Postby Elina » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:20 am

They love water and Harry and Elspeth are terrified of them...Or at least of my mothers one.

Since I got them he has not left my end of the house which is really odd as there is really nothing for him here bar the ego boost he gets from freaking out the foxes.

They need to be kept indoors, I am not sure if this is just as people will kidnap them if they go out...

My Mums one is also my daughters shadow. He will not let her go anywhere without him. He crys when she goes to school :lol:
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Hah, ok, thanks.

So, yeah, I think I've decided on one of these - I already decided on a breeder, and I asked her the questions I needed for the problems I thought of with getting a cat... and, so, I was going to ask my parents this weekend- but I remember the other day that my mom was going to pick my siblings (maybe sibling, I don't know if my sister is coming) up from college for their spring break, so...I guess I'll wait 'til after they leave. (I assume it wouldn't be the most opportune time to ask...) So...I'll just do a week or so more of research on them (if I can- I don't know, all the things just seem to repeat themselves), but, I guess that will install it into my brain to make sure I know my stuff before I ask, and they can answer questions and I can answer. ;)

But now, I've come up with two problems: (1.) I don't have the money at the moment (my saving strategy intended on getting enough money for a fox and his things by next year's summer... so, it wasn't expecting to buy something yet.) Although, the over-all cost I guess is a lot cheaper than a fox (I don't need to buy an outdoor enclosure.), and there are other things I don't have to buy too... But, the breeder I found sells them for $400 (cheapest breeder I've found - but she seems credible, and she's get very pretty kitties too.), and then I'll need to find extra money for vet bills, and I need it for things like a crate, harness, brush, litter stuff, toys, shampoo, uhh...and other things - so, the straight up cost will be like, $550 (?), then I need some set aside for the vet... and at the moment I have $300. I asked her when her last babies of the season/next season should be due/available (so I could have the most time- and she told me she probably wouldn't be having litters in the summer), and she said the last ones should be available around May. ...so, I don't know if that's enough time, and, I'm sure my parents won't chip in, soo...I see that as a current issue.
(2.) If they ask me what I'm going to do with it after I go to college, I really don't have a 100% answer for it... Because, I'd guess I'd rather have it stay with them (because it'd be used to the surroundings and my parents), but, if they really don't want it - I asked my sister, and she said she would take it, but only if her living conditions permitted it, and she wasn't sure what her living conditions would be, so she can't promise anything. And I didn't ask my brother yet- but, I think it'd be the same basic answer as my sister's. And my sister suggested a friend's house, and, most all my friends I would try with any of my animals are going to college the same time as me, so that wouldn't work either.
So, I'm thinking this might be the make-or-break point, because I think they (my parents) want to move into a smaller house by themselves once we're all off to college, and I think they may not want to take the cat around (although, I think it is a little more versatile than a fox- because the fox needs the enclosure outside, and a kitty doesn't), so that Might no be as much of a problem, but I'm not sure.

So, those were the only main problems I could think of, but they could be determining problems.
Oh, and the problem Youko mentioned in my other thread....but I Think I have a solution for that, but I'm not sure. :?
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:41 pm

My cousins bought one of those, she's an ape-shit little psychopath. She settled down 'somewhat' (emphasis on 'somewhat' because she's still nuts) when they got her spayed, but she's always been crazy. :shock:

If you want the experience of owning a pet fox, this is probably the next best thing given that your curtains, carpeting, upholstery, and bed linens will suffer extensive damage. I'd recommend an assortment of scratching posts and furniture your Bengal will be allowed to gut. :lol: They're OCD scratchers.
RIP Martino, I'm sure Olivia misses you.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:51 pm

O.o
Ok, thanks. Hah. {=]
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:23 pm

Hmm.... Ok, well, I guess I won't mind that - as long as they're still hypo-allergenic, I've always wanted a cat, so I'll be fine if it acts like a normal cat...but, if it acts like a terrible cat, that might be a problem, but, I'm hoping for the best. ;) (I know, I should always expect the worst... :? )
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:41 pm

....Why would 6 sources say they are then? - they produce less dander/conceal it better, and they produce less FDL1 protein than normal cats...
(If you have proof that something says that isn't true, then please go ahead and tell me.)
Ok, thanks, I'll look into it.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:49 pm

By the way.... I asked my dad vaguely about it (because I went to ask him if he was allergic to cat's dander or the FDL1 protein in their saliva, and he said he didn't know, but then he wanted to know why.), and, he said the idea didn't look promising. :? and that he's not a cat person (I didn't know that - I thought he liked cats, but, I guess that makes sense.) But yeah, so, I was wrong- he doesn't like cats. Heh. :? And that doesn't help considering I'm aware that my mom doesn't like cats, and is probably not going to care that I tell her most have different personalities than normal cats...
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:15 am

http://www.encorebengals.com/info/bengalinfo.htm#q10

http://www.prattmandu.com/faq.htm kind of says so...

"Bengal cats are a wise choice for children with allergies; their sleek, soft, tightly pelted coat seems to hold less allergens. It is a different type of fur; more like the Asian Leopard Cat, more tightly pelted than ordinary cat fur and sufferers claim that they can tolerate close facial contact with Bengals with fewer reactions. Many children can sleep with Bengals, which might not be possible with other breeds."

"...there seems to be some indication that Bengal cats have a lesser degree of the protein that plagues allergy sufferers."

"Bengal cats are also the perfect choice for people who are typically allergic to cat dander. Because they have pelts rather than fur, Bengals do not usually shed. Bengals truly are the hypoallergenic solution for cat lovers who cannot have traditional domestic cats."

From personal experiences of others (no proof on hypo-allergenic-ness, but, it's examples.):
"I have a friend that is one of the fortunate ones who is allergic to most cats, but not Bengals."

Wesley also said he's rather allergic to normal cats, but not his bengal.

"Our bengal sheds very little and I've noticed that I don't have to wash my hands religiously after petting my Bengal like I do when I pet our other cat."

Ok, so, I guess I couldn't find anything that says it produced less Fel D1 - but multiple people say they are allergic to normal cats, but not bengals...
I personally think that wild cat species don't produce the same glycoprotein- and therefor, since bengals are hybrids of a wild species and a domestic species that some don't produce it (or produce less of it), but later generations do.... ...that's just a theory though.
So, it seems they think it's hypo-allergenic because it doesn't shed. ...But, although it's not because it doesn't shed- the coat still isn't dry, and it's rather silky, and so I see it less likely to emit dander into the air... it may cause a reaction if you pet it, but if not, I don't think it should get into the air too much.

And by the way, even though the more likely to be hypo-allergenic-ness seems to be more prominent for the siberian cat (which I like), I don't want to spend $1,400 on a cat... thanks though.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:34 am

Yes, many breeders will say what they want to sell a cat. Bengals are NOT hypoallergenic. Some people have less allergies to certain cats but as a breed they are not even close to hypoallergenic. The saliva IS the dander that has the protein/allergen. the saliva is in the coat and dries and becomes the dander.
I know this from absolute experience that the only hypoallergenic breed is siberians. I work with the bengal rescue and have personally rehomed two due to allergies.
My mom raised siberians and many many people with allergies bought her kittens and were happy. She also participated in a dna study of cheek swabs to prove the protein was missing in siberians. If you want a hypoallergenic one avoid neva masquerade (colorpoints) as they have other breeds in them and therefore arent all allergy free.

Also consider the vet bills will be approx $1oo or so every 3-4 weeks untill vaccines are done, then $150-300 or so for spay/neuter.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:00 pm

...You guys are awesome at crushing my dreams...(By the way, I mean no offense when I say that - I'm quite glad you're telling me the truth before I go out and get something and can't actually keep it for various reasons...)
So, ok, but, then why would multiple people who aren't breeders vouch for it saying they have allergies to most cats but not them? Because I read from more places that said that than just the ones I posted. :?
But ok, I believe you.
Hmm...ok, well, I guess I'm not getting a cat then (I just don't think a total of like $2000 is worth it for a cat...I'd rather put that into my otter fund I guess.)
Oh, and I asked her what about her cats make them hypoallergenic and she didn't respond. ;P
And, I also asked her what generation and she has like F11's (even though they don't go that far - she said they were far past the fifth generation that it goes to. ...I guess that's supposed to be a good thing? )

And true about the cost...that's why I realized I mentioned before that if I were to get one I'd have to wait 'till next year to have enough money. xP
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:04 pm

'found out though that my dad and brother aren't as allergic to cats as they are to dogs. As they seem to only have a problem with a couple of specific cats... (Not a reliable thing, just saying.)

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic cats”