PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Bengal cats?

Bengal, Savannah, and Chausie, all Hybrids of domestic cats with exotic/wild cat species

Moderator: Ash

FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Oh, really? For the link you sent me, they said their Siberians cost like $1,500 a cat, and that they had nearly a two year waiting list, so I figured that cost was normal (and the normal cost for a bengal was about $500.). But ok.

I think the only question I asked was in response to Lasergrl telling me that the breeders only say they're hypoallergenic and put extra stuff in there to sell it - so I was wondering why I found so many random people who Don't breed them and Aren't trying to sell them saying that the bengal cat is hypoallergenic [if they aren't actually]. ?
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:26 pm

some people will be less allergic to some cats then others. Its not nescassarily true of every bengal but individual bengals or a family line. Also just because one person will not be allergic doesnt mean someone else wont. the only way to tell is to have your dad meet the parent cats and see if it causes him allergies. Some breeders are happy to let the cats sleep on a rag for a few days, then mail you the rag as a test.
My mom actually passed away and therefore isnt breeding anymore. Her kittens were sold to pet homes for about $500-$600 They are reliably hypoallergenic though so worth the cost and many many breeders have them spayed/neutered before sold as part of the cost, and if the kitten is at least 12 weeks old all vaccines should be done. It is actually a more economical way to go to find a good breeder and buy one with all vet work done.
Doesnt it seem like every breed is "rare" and has a waiting list? :lol: They still say that about savannah cats even though the market is saturated with them and breeders cant sell them in this economy.
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:25 am

Clyde's dad wrote:Hi FoxAdorer817,

Hi renwaldo,

Other then scratching what does this cat do that is so bad? Just curious?

The cratching is really the only bad thing about this cat. She is just a very busy kitty with ADHD and OCD in scratching. She absolately loathes my dad and myself with a fiery passion for some reason - we've never understood why. Really that's all that's noticeably wrong with her, she's healthy otherwise.
RIP Martino, I'm sure Olivia misses you.
Lex87

Postby Lex87 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:40 pm

Bengals are definitely not hypoallergenic. If you are looking for something hypoallergenic consider a cornish rex. I hate discourage anyone from getting a bengal but if you are allergic, they really might not be the right choice for you.

Good luck!!
Cheers
Alexis
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Ohh, that makes sense, Lasergrl. Hmm...ok, interesting. And oh, I'm sorry about your mom. But ok, I guess that's a good deal then. But by the way- the bengal breeders I talked to (or looked on their site) said that they don't sell until 12 weeks also and their cats are all up-to-date on shots. (But only a couple were spayed/nuetered, and those were more expensive, so I guess that is a plus for the cost on siberians..)

Hah, well I actually didn't notice that...interesting, but ok. :) heh.

Lex, I'm not trying to disagree with you (you're probably right), but I don't think that cornish rexes are hypoallergenic at ALL - they produce plenty of Fel d 1 and when they get it on their skin it spreads the dander all the more because no fur is there to keep it in? (I might be wrong, but I was pretty positive about that.) (Anyways, no offense to them, but I would never want to buy one.)
Thanks though. :)
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
Lex87

Postby Lex87 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:14 pm

They are not completely hypoallergenic but are one of the lesser. They don't shed (they kind of molt) They say even Sphinx (hairless) cats are not completely hypo allergenic. I guess it depends to what degree you are allergic. I know there are also anti-histamine shots that you can get to boost your immunity to the allergens. They last around 3 months or so.

FoxAdore I can't say I blame you for not wanting one they are weird looking little creatures but they have a wonderful disposition :)
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:20 pm

Ok, well my dad's (he's the one who's allergic) Not allergic to fur. He's only allergic to the dander- and since they still produce it (even if they aren't shedding it through hair.), I don't think they would be hypo-allergenic for my dad. They probably are for people whom are allergic to the fur though... Anyways, I don't think he would appreciate having to take allergy stuff for an animal he doesn't even like very much. (I also think he's even tried the stuff before for normal allergy season, and it didn't do anything for him, so. :? )
Thanks though, and sorry for responding I guess negatively.

Hah, yeah, I like their personalities, and I don't like discriminating against things, and I like to think of what other people think as ugly, cute - I'm just saying I probably wouldn't get one, because it doesn't have like 3 of the qualities I want in a cat- I think it's kinda cute though. ;)
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Re:

Postby tombraiderwes » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:31 am

Lasergrl wrote:They to me are just like domestic cats apart from being a bit more active and they HATE restraint (like being forced to be held). They are also prone to health conscerns like IBD and food allergies.
Of course higher generation ones will be more dog like and less cat like but your average SBT bengal is just like a hyper domestic shorthair.

Actually, not trying to contradict you, but my cat loves to be held. I instilled this in his head since he was 6 weeks old. He knows if he gets held he gets a treat or a belly rub. He also is extremely different from a normal housecat. I have had housecats growing up, and his fur is noticeably softer, he loves water, he is so much more intelligent (or more willing to learn), and I was able to train him to sit, walk on a leash, and use the toilet to go to the bathroom. He constantly needs attention and hates being by himself. He also likes to play Hide n' Seek and sometimes Fetch.

He isn't a super high percentage, F5 I believe, but he is so sweet and different nonetheless.

FoxAdorer: I am severely allergic to almost everything about normal cats, and I can live happily with a Bengal. Have your dad meet a Bengal and try it out.
Attachments
smll me n alias.jpg
Small Pretty Alias.jpg
small ALias House.jpg
25879_1449821127756_1300074134_1253633_116749_n.jpg
Lasergrl

Re: Bengal cats?

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:00 pm

F-5 is pretty high generation for a bengal. They are so far removed from the ALC for the MOST part. They have been TICA accepted long enough that bengal to bengal STB breeding are the norm.
Having had savannahs, and pure exotic cats and many many domestics as well as being part of the regional bengal rescue, the MOJORITY of SBT bengals do not differ all that much from a domestic. The personality you describe is very much like a siamese or abbysinian. Thats awsome that you love your kitty, but to me, they arent that much different. Thats why they are so popular!

Forced restraint is more like at the vet, not cuddling. Most domestics will just take it. Seems bengals freak out though.
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:09 pm

He is never forced to be held. What I meant was, when he was little I forced him to be held, and now he willing comes up to me to get picked up. He doesn't squirm, and purrs now when I hold him. He also come up to me to be held when I am sitting or standing and enjoys it.

And he could be an F-6, I can't remember if it was an F-5 or F-6. I just remember the other two males in the breeders house were F-3's and he was 2 or 3 generations after them.

He has Asian Leopard Cat and Abyssinian in him.
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi tombraiderwes,

I really love your Bengal. How old is he? What breeder did you get him from? I love his eyes. How does he get along with your Fennec Fox thus far? Lastly what is your cats name?

Believe it or not I am severely allergic to cats as well. When I got the newest "full time addition to my family" Panda she made my eyes water, scratchy throat, and stuff like that. But after three moths and a few weeks I am not longer having an alergic reaction. Just like Mommy and Shadow.

I know in my case my body has an allergic reaction at first that is for sure. But over time my body goes threw a "desensitization" to each cats particular salivary protein. At least this is what I believe is the case. If you have any better idea's let me know :mrgreen:. That goes for anyone who has a theory on why over time my alergies to each of my particular cats "goes away" ?
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:30 pm

My cat's name is Alias, and thanks for the nice compliments, your babies are so cute too! I was just looking at their pictures.
At first, the first two days when I brought Eevee home, Alias was very jealous. He pouted in the corner for the first two days, and was terrified of the fox, because of her squeaks.

But today he started warming up to her and hasn't hissed or growled. He actually played with her all morning. He is learning he has to be gentle though. I was afraid he might have been stalking little Eevee at first, because he has only seen one other Fennec Fox, a full grown one my friend has, and freaked out.
But I realized he is playing with her, and now, within the last 24 hours, he has made a full turnaround and even sleeps next to her.
Do you have a fox or are you planning on getting one?
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi tombraiderwes,

That is great that Alias and your Fennec Fox get along. No I do not own or ever want to own a fox. I am sorry. But a fox is not for me. I do hope to one day own an African Serval.

But feel free to post picture's of your Fennec and Bengal cat. I would love to see them :mrgreen:. Lastly thank you for the compliments on my cats. I sure do think they are attractive :mrgreen:.
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Some more pics of my Bengal kitty, Alias!
Attachments
whats that small.jpg
cute face small.jpg
porch small.jpg
outside small.jpg
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi tombraiderwes,

I love the picture's. Alias is a stunning cat if you ask me. How tall is he? He seems like a very large cat. Note I said large NOT fat :lol:.

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic cats”