PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Bengal cats?

Bengal, Savannah, and Chausie, all Hybrids of domestic cats with exotic/wild cat species

Moderator: Ash

tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Re: Bengal cats?

Postby tombraiderwes » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:51 pm

I would say he is about a foot high or a little more. He is very muscly. Although he also has a little pudge starting to develop on his tummy so I have him on this friggen expensive weight control all natural formula.
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:14 pm

Do you let him stay outside or is he an indoor cat/out doors on a leash?
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:21 pm

Yes I keep him inside all the time except for when I walk him on a leash.

this is just my two cents about Bengal cats;

First of all,
My cat LOVES to be held. He immediately purrs when you hold him and know he gets a treat afterwards. You can train a cat to like ANY behavior as long as they get a reward afterward.

Second,
I personally think a cat would be perfect for FoxAdorer. My roommate, who is like Epi-pen allergic to cats, can live with him. She doesn't like cats however because of their personality. My brother, who used to need allergy shots for cats, loves to carry my cat around like a baby in his arms. My cat purrs and purrs when people hold him. As long as you give him positive reinforcement for being "restrained" they will be just fine. However, she LOVES my cat Alias. He sits on command, comes when you whistle, and speaks as well as begs for a treat. I promise I will get these on video for you one day, and I have a video of how I trained him to use a toilet. I have an entire training tab on my website about this.

Third,
I personally feel cats make some of the best, and most sanitary pets, provided you teach them to use the toilet. The main reason I taught my cat to do this was for his health. Male cats are prone to getting urinary tract infections, my Veterinarian told me due to dust from cat litter, among other variables. I want my baby to last as long as possible, so I trained him to do this.

Fourth,
Cats can be trained to behave better than foxes. Having owned a dog, cat and fox, I can say my cat is the smartest of the three. He knows how to adapt to situations, and catches on to my body language as to what I want him to do. The only drawback is he usually only "performs" when he knows what is in it for him. He will greet you at the door, come up for attention like a dog, and he never holds a grudge. He also walks on a leash. Being a Bengal, he has more energy than a regular housecat, so walking on a leash calms him down.

Depending on the activity level you want, make sure you pick out the right Filial Generation. The further they are away from F1, the more domestic they will be. My cat is an F4. You also have to take into consideration the more domestic they are (i.e. F5 - F10s) the more like a prissy regular housecat they will be. Personally, I do not like regular cats, but my Bengal is a God-sent. And my breeder wasn't too expensive, only $550. I seriously would recommend getting a Bengal, I love mine, and I will fight anyone who has anything bad to say about him.

The key to picking out a kitten is observing them first; you see which one would rather play by himself or with the human rather than rough-house with the other kittens. See which one lets you hold him. I did this, and my cat is the most well-behaved angel. I have never heard a negative comment from anyone about him cat lovers and haters alike.

Here is the link for the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mGm0YiL5lw

I apologize for my roommates language
Wesley :peng: :peng: :peng:
Attachments
small ALias House.jpg
Small Pretty Alias.jpg
outside small.jpg
SMALL sleepy.jpg
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:59 pm

Your cat sounds a lot like mine! Only thing I'm sad about is that I know he has the intelligence to do tricks, but he doesn't like treats or anything besides his cat food so I can't teach him tricks.

Maybe after he's running to his cat bowl one day I can make him do a trick for it... :icon-wink:
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:03 pm

For most cats who don't like treats, pieces of food will work for them when they are hungry. If they refuse to perform even when they are hungry, put away their meal until they decide to cooperate. That is what has worked for me, and it won't kill them, especially since my cat is slightly overweight, haha.

It could also be you haven't found the treats that your cat likes. I got lucky, my cat hates people food except for pizza and french fries (long story, don't ask, haha) but he loves all treats. My fox and dog, however, only like specific brands of treats that are not dry (I spoil my pets worse than some people spoil children).

:D
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:45 pm

Haha don't get me started about spoiling your pets! The workers at petco down here must have thought I was crazy, I was trying to find treats that he'd like and I got tons of 'treat samples' from every single treat they had - and of course he wouldnt eat ANY of them!

I'm actually really interested in the french fry story, I don't suppose I could talk you into a condensed version of it? :D
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:43 pm

Well, one time I left my french fries on the table from Mcdonald's (hey it's been like 6 months since I ate there). And Eevee jumped up while I wasn't looking and carefully stole a french fry, not knowing what it was. She gave herself away by the AMAZINGLY loud shriek she gave.

I have never heard her scream that loud out of excitement. She immediately tried to steal another one, and she was so lighting fast, she grabbed the bottom of the container. I grabbed the top so they didn't spill, and we were in a ridiculous tug-of-war. Well, long story short, the container ripped and they literally went flying everywhere like a movie.

Well, my cat heard the commotion, so he ran with his little fat belly over and grabbed as many fries as he could as Eevee stuffed her mouth, screaming all the while with her mouth loaded with my fries, and I waited till she thought I wasn't looking and grabbed her back out of her cage. I put her in the bathroom while I cleaned up and bribed my cat out from under the bed with treats.

After cleaning up the greasy mess, Eevee learned all food I have is delicious treats sent from God, so she had immediately investigated my next few meals for weeks.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:53 pm

Dont make kitty go a day without its food though. A cat, especially and overweight cat, that doesnt eat for over a day can develop hepatic lipadosis and its very deadly.
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:06 pm

I never said for a day. I said for a little while. Don't worry about it. I knew as soon as I posted someone would say something.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:11 pm

I didnt say you said a day. yes thats not what you said but you have no idea how some people will take liberty with advise. I sometimes wonder how some people survive. You really have to spell things out for people nowadays, common sense is a thing of the past.
I have seen a cat die becuase someone changed the brand of food and thought the cat would eat it when it got hungry, a couple days later. Not pretty, seeing a yellow cat thats supposed to be white.

You dont need to be so defensive, seriously I know the internet is serious business and all.

:lol:
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:38 am

Not being defensive, I just get a little ticked off when (if you don't believe me look at all my responses with my opinion) everything I posted gets commented on negatively. This was another reason I hadn't been on this forum in a couple months. It's not the same as it used to be.
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:31 am

I think it's safe to assume that a lot of the people who have enough common sense to join a forum dedicated to researching the animal they own have enough common sense to know not to stop feeding their animals. Your comment did come off as a little negative, especially because that was the only thing you responded to after his entire story, but you were obviously just trying to help so maybe we can just leave it at that. :roll:

I enjoyed the story. I have a Puggle, and he's a cross between a Pug and a Beagle. Pugs have an overwhelming desire for food, and Beagles usually have great smelling noses. I think the two combined to make an absolutely food obsessed animal, and in a way I feel like he is trying to prepare me for french-fry-stealing Eevees. I think I read you live in an apartment right? Do you ever feel like there isn't enough space? (Do your room mates mind her?)
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:36 am

Well I live in a four bedroom apartment and we were all friends from High School. Everyone loves foxes and all animals really, and I used to take her all the time to the dog park. I am extremely busy as of late though because of my last semester in college; the work has gotten harder and more time consuming. However, my roommates really love to help take care of the animals.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:15 pm

tombraiderwes wrote: If they refuse to perform even when they are hungry, put away their meal until they decide to cooperate. That is what has worked for me, and it won't kill them, especially since my cat is slightly overweight, haha.

I wasnt trying to direct it at Wes, just a general statement. As a moderator I think its important to point things out that a lurker might take literally. We all know what he meant of course. I know he didnt mean to starve his kitty. Untill they decide to cooperate could mean days to some. Since Wes posts here alot and has animals people may take his advice way too literally. It wasnt negative at all just a clarifying statement that was more so directed at someone that may just be passing through the forums. People often forget how many people read around without registering. There are alot of absolute idiots out there I see it daily in real life situations. I have nothing negative to say about about Wes' story or his animals.

My exact words:

Dont make kitty go a day without its food though. A cat, especially and overweight cat, that doesnt eat for over a day can develop hepatic lipadosis and its very deadly.

Nothing negative toward Wes at all. This is a medical fact that NEEDS pointed out :nogif:
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Back to the topic of Bengal Cats, my cat is one of the best behaved cats but cannot control himself when it comes to human foods. He seems to think it's worth the bop on the nose everytime. Haha. He definitely knows better.

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic cats”