PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

My Nonstandard Savannah

Bengal, Savannah, and Chausie, all Hybrids of domestic cats with exotic/wild cat species

Moderator: Ash

Lasergrl

Re: My Nonstandard Savannah

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:51 am

I think it only comes in two sizes, a small bag (probably like 5-7 pounds) and a big bag that i buy.
They keep growing for the same amount of time a domestic does, about a year. They may get a little bulk after that (fat) but thats really it for frame size.
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:04 pm

Hi Lasergrl,

Thank you very much. I just got him a few sample bags of Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain Formula. He of course eats it, he eats anything. Is that normal for a Savannah? The big bag here is only $23 dollars plus tax. Which is MUCH cheaper then $47 plus tax and shipping for Life's Abundance. I also like that Taste of the Wild is better made.

Now there are two "types" of feline Taste of the Wild. Which do you feed your Serval? I will try and get that one in sample size, if it is not the one I got to give Loki. Here is the website just so you know what I am talking about: http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/pr ... e_formula/ .

Lastly his growth rate is phenomenal from what I can see thus far. Does that slow in Savannah's like it does domestics as the year of age mark comes closer? I hope you understand what I am asking. Since I can not seem to phrase it appropriately.

Thank you very much. Yes, I am a paranoid owner :rhin: .
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:25 pm

The only variety they have around here is the rocky mountain one. That is the one I would choose anyways. I try and not choose all fish for the protein when possible. The rocky mountain is venison too.

You will see the growth drop at 8 months or so, but, he will still grow oif course, just slower.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:11 pm

So what all has your cat destroyed?

Jake wasn't to bad that way but he shredded some curtains and chewed cables.
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:26 pm

Hi TamanduaGirl,

You must read minds :lol: . I wanted to post something like what has your animal broken. Loki has broken so many things. He is a hyperactive boy. Plus having no grace now has turned my home into a "child proof" home.

Do you want the whole list or just the cost? Well or both :mrgreen: ?

If anyone wants more photo's I will post them. I just do not want to bore people to death. Since I am a picture nut and love to "show him off".
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:53 pm

You mentioned the price in another thread so that got me curious so a list. On being clumsy Jake did topple the cactus garden the other night as he always goes flying over the plant counter.

And pictures are still welcome.
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 am

Please, post more photos! icon-smile
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Hello TamanduaGirl,

Alright here is the list of major items:
Three depression glass plates valued/appraised at $150 dollars.
A 100 year old Vase valued/appraised at $400 to $500 dollars.
My Flat Screen T.V. $300 at the time of purchase.
Destroyed two pair of shoes that on sale for $50 for both pair.

Now if you want a complete list I will post it no problem. But it is long. Now do you mind telling me what Jake broke. I would feel better :lol: :mrgreen: .

Hi Trish_Claire,

Here are some photo's:

That is a rare moment of him sleeping. Yes he is crated at night or I get no sleep :roll: .

On the computer chair "modeling" his spots :lol: .

Loki sitting before he jumps onto my head/neck icon_biggin.gif :roll: .

Hi Lasergrl,

My Loki still does not love that Taste Of The Wild. Do you have any suggestions for some other good dry foods?
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:05 pm

Such a beautiful cat! You are so lucky to be the proud owner. Are you a huge savannah lover now? If you wouldn't mind, could you compare his personality to a regular domestic cat?

I miss your cat stories :kitty When you get the time you should post a few more.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:54 pm

Well we don't have anything that expensive besides the tvs and those are okay. He liked chewing through cables when younger. I'm not sure what all but do remember he ruined my dad's headphones that way. He shredded some nice curtains, ruined them. He helped shred my dad's chair but Kat had started on that before and the corner of the couch has a big hole from clawing. He likes playing with shoes but never ruined any. I think he chewed through a shoelace once. He dug in several potted plants too. Toppling the cactus garden the other night seemed to be an accident but they don't look to pretty right now. He locked himself in the studio room once and made a mess but don't think he ruined anything though another time he did jump onto a wet painting.
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:14 pm

trish_clare wrote:Re: My Nonstandard Savannah
Such a beautiful cat! You are so lucky to be the proud owner. Are you a huge savannah lover now? If you wouldn't mind, could you compare his personality to a regular domestic cat?

I miss your cat stories :kitty When you get the time you should post a few more.

Thank you for saying he is so beautiful. I tend to agree with that. Like I have said I love the nonstandard ones the best. I am not sure I would say I own him. I would say we are friends. I am not sure one can own a domestic, I can say one does not own a Savananh. Part of understanding/working/living with them seems to be understanding that he will never act like a normal domestic cat.

He is nothing like a domestic. He has the play drive of a lab puppy. He is also as destructive as one :lol: :roll: . He also loves to chew on things like a dog. He also lacks the fear seen in domestic cats. He is as stubborn as a mule when he wants something. The only way to stop him is to redirect him. He also unlike a domestic cat will climb anything. He as we speak is climbing all over me and purring. He is just in constant motion. Again like a Labrador dog. If you want more vivid example of "Savannah vs domestic" let me know. I would be glad to post them.

I would say I do like Savannah's. But other then he uses a litter box he is not the cat for most people. Now in all fairness to the breed. I got my boy understanding he was not a "normal F3". Most F3 are good with kids and much more like a normal house cat. My boy is very destructive. He has the refleces of the Bobcats I have worked with. My Loki was described as a normal F1 or F2 in terms of behavior. Meaning most F3 do not brake as many things as my boy has. Also most F3 are not so crazy hyper and bitty while purring. That is another difference my boy "play bites" like a bobcat in my experience or F1 or F2 would according to the breeder. Though the biting is slowly getting better.

Cat Stories have been posted. Please let me know what you think.

Hi TamanduaGirl,

Be glad you did not have as many expensive things is all I can say. I am glad to see your Jake has calmed down with age. That gives me some hope my Loki will calm down. Also I think you being able to let Jake outside is very helpful. I wish I lived in an area where I could do that with Loki. Lastly Loki destruction does not seem to be on purpose. It just happens :lol: . Also what do you feed Jake?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:11 pm

He gets Diamond indoor cat kibble because it's what we had Kat on. It finally got her weight under control. It's not one of the best quality foods out there but it's a good food. We tried chicken soup senior for Kat before but that didn't help her weight any. Even when we had kitten food for him he preferred to eat hers. Jake also gets some regular canned food, a spoon full morning and night. Plus whatever he mooches off of us. His favorites are fried chicken, ham and tuna. He always has a bit of my dad's egg each morning.

Jake still likes to bite and kick to play with my hand.
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:45 pm

Hello TamanduaGirl,

Your Jake looks great so his diet did just fine for him :mrgreen: . I just wish I was out in the country more and could let my Loki outside. But I can not icon-sad .

Anyway he is just five months old and in the past five weeks he has gained a pound and a half. I can not tell how much taller he has gotten. It is impossible to measure him, as I would need either three or six arms :lol: :roll: . So here are three more photo's of him to show how he has grown.

Also Lasergrl does his head look to small for his body? I think so, :mrgreen: but I was informed that is a good Savannah trait :lol: . Is that really true?

Also does he seem to be a "good size" for his age?

Okay here are the photo's:

He likes high places :mrgreen:

Showing off his nice spots icon_biggin.gif .

Him in what I think is an average sized sink , o and forgive the dishes :lol: :roll: .

Now as you all know I had Cinder rescue with the broken jaw. That I repaired. Well he was re-homed to a friend of mines girlfriend. Since well I do not need so many cats :roll: . But it has more to do with despite Loki being a month or two younger then Cinder, Loki still treated him as prey. Loki would chase and trip Cinder and then drop Cinder at my feet. Like he was a toy.

Keep in mind Loki was purring the whole time and Cinder would not back down to any cat I own but Shadow. My only real concern is Panda my completely indoor domestic long hair might be his next "target". Though so far he always rubs on Panda. Panda also chases Loki around the house. But I am still very concerned as Loki one day will most likely be much larger then Panda and Panda is not a very brave cat. But she has been landing quite a few good blows when Loki takes his play too far. I do think Loki is playing cause he never growls or hisses. Just Panda does, along with when Panda "smacks" him hissing Loki runs off.

Lasergrl what do you think will happen with Loki and Panda in the future? Thank you all for reading and post some comments so I know I am not boring you all to death.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:48 pm

They will probably never be best friends but maybe. regular cats tend to know that the savannahs are different.

It is ok that he doesnt love the taste of the wild. You dont want him to love it or he will overeat just because it tastes good. Unlike us, cats should eat because theya re hungry not because they love it.

His head is small, just the way it should be :)
Candy Cane Girl
Banned
Banned

Postby Candy Cane Girl » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:32 pm

Lasergrl wrote:hey will probably never be best friends but maybe. regular cats tend to know that the savannahs are different.

Lasergrl, nothing could be friend that cat :monk-dev: . He is completely hyper and crazy. No offense Cat Person. Your a dear, but your Loki is a nut case. Everyone says F1 Bengals do not make good pets. I would take Taro, my F1 Bengal any day over your F3 Savannah.

Can I post or well you can post the photo of Loki on my head with the empty can of cat food he "stole". Or the one of him jumping at the window trying to catch fireworks :mrgreen: .

Ms Paula Otto

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic cats”