PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

My Nonstandard Savannah

Bengal, Savannah, and Chausie, all Hybrids of domestic cats with exotic/wild cat species

Moderator: Ash

cat person
Banned
Banned

Re: My Nonstandard Savannah

Postby cat person » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:00 am

Hi All,

Here are some photo's of my almost eight and half month old wacko Savannah. I mean Loki :mrgreen: . He is calming down somewhat. He does like to lay with me when he is sleepy. But when he is awake he is always breaking something. If anyone cares to hear what he has broken I will make the list of his latest disasters. But he has broken thousands of dollars worth of stuff.

To Lasergrl and any other Savannah owner is a cup to a cup and half of food enough for a Savannah this age? Till about six months old he was eating two cups of food a day at least. But he still seems to be growing :mrgreen: :shock: :roll: . Also he eats a mix of Evo dry and Taste Of The Wild dry mixed together. Plus whatever plastic, paper, soap and God knows what else a day :roll: .

I will try and get some action shots that are clear. Since he seems like a red blur most times. Also Lasergrl does his profile seem normal for a Savannah? Also is an F3 Savannah normally so hyperactive and destructive? Do you think an F2 would be a good idea? Like so he could pal around with another cat of his "type"? Also could an F2 be worse then him? Like destruction wise? Lastly his litter box habits are immaculate. Would adding an F2 possible change that?

To TamanduaGirl,

What does Jake's profile look like? How was he acting at eight months old?

To everyone else who is considering this breed of cat all I can say is they are not for the weak of heart. Or anyone who liked there home. If anyone wants to know what my Savannah proof home looks like just let me know :lol: .
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:55 am

No way... I have the exact same rug! :lol:

Loki is quite the handsome little fella, ain't he?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
xLovey

Postby xLovey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:42 am

I love him. Trade Lokis? :icon-wink: (Just kidding!)

I would like to see your savannah-proofed house, if you don't mind posting pictures icon_biggin.gif
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:13 am

I think the jumping photos in the yard were about from that time.

He just brought in his first lizard of the season. We don't let him out at night any more because he used to bring in bats and let them go in the bathroom. When we close him in at night he spends some time and making noise(can't really call it meowing). He bites more now than when he was young.

Oh remember the video of Bella fox using her own cat teaser wand? Jake started doing that the other day.

He also chased a dog off a bit ago. It followed me home and he came out and was jumping at it like a fox then ran it off.

He kept knocking our plants down. One was in a huge pot and he somehow knocked it down and is a really old plant, broke it off at the root but is a vine so looks like it may survive since reburied. He wasn't trying to be bad just kept trying to jump over and knocked them down. They've all been moved now. We did have one cactus casualty.

To the question more directly I think he bites more now than when he was young. Play bites but he's got sharp teeth and he likes to kick when he does it. He likes to attack me when I go up and down the hall.

Closest thing to a profile shot I have is this but it's not fully from the side so his muzzle looks shorter than it is.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/5079387799/

And it's tinny but there's his snow photo
This white stuff is everywhere by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

His paws are still big
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/5202689693/
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi Ash,

Ash wrote:No way... I have the exact same rug! :lol:

Loki is quite the handsome little fella, ain't he?

I am sure you have a newer model. Mine are 16 years old. Or there about. But being a neurotic house keeper/cleaner they are still in fairly good shape. But Loki like to chew on the tassels. So I am sure that like the rest of my home will look like it is "cat proofed" soon :lol: .

Yes he is handsome. He is not quite so little anymore :mrgreen: and way too big for his britches :lol: :cool: icon_biggin.gif .

Hi XLovey,

xLovey wrote:I love him. Trade Lokis? :icon-wink: (Just kidding!)

I would like to see your savannah-proofed house, if you don't mind posting pictures icon_biggin.gif

I would trade Loki's with you if you had your own home. But I can assure you that you would want your Loki back instead of keeping mine :mrgreen: .

I am going to post picture. If you want more just let me know :mrgreen: .

What are on my windows to prevent escape.

Nope that is not my window. But that is the product I bought. Do you want to see all my boxes of breakables that are now put away? Also do you want to see some other breakable items that are put up in appropriate cases? If so I will do that tomorrow.

Hi TamanaduaGirl,

Thank you for all that information icon_biggin.gif .

I am sorry to all of you for the delay in response time :red-face: , I have been too busy the past three days :nogif: .
xLovey

Postby xLovey » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Ooh, is that a palm tree? I don't see many of those where I live. Nice bars, that must be so he doesn't push out the screen? I'm interested in seeing what's left of your house. Is my image of a completely empty room besides a mattress with rubber sheets (so he doesn't chew through fabric ones) too far from the truth? icon_biggin.gif
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:28 am

Haha. Actually the rug we have IS 15-20 years old. My family is very clean and we clean the house just about every day or two--so it's still in good condition as well! :mrgreen:

It's a small world when it comes to rugs, lol!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi XLovey,

Nope that Palm Tree is not from outside my window. Like I said I believe in the post from March 13th 2011 that photo was just an example of what will be going on my windows, in order to prevent Loki from escaping via the window. Yes he will pop the screens out as you said. But I also have two windows that are old fashioned and open from the side and not up and down. Hence he can just "grab and slide the windows open". If you want a visual example of what I am trying to explain just let me know and I will take a picture and post it tomorrow.

If he was allowed in my bedroom then I would have a room that looked like you described. But the final straw was when he broke one of my desk top computers via dragging it. Keep in mind at the time he was only seven or so pounds. He is around ten pounds now but pure muscle still. Hence much stronger then an average domestic cat.

Here are two picture's of whatever antique/expensive possessions that he has not broken. Also my CD case so he does not brake my CD's as well. Lastly I also have glass pocket doors to keep him out of two rooms to prevent whatever nice furniture I have left from being destroyed.

I am actually surprised that this breed of cat is not in rescue more often. I mean people do not seem to cope well with domestic cats so a Savannah must be overwhelming to most people icon_biggin.gif .

Here are two picture's showing how large and leggy he is at eight and a half months old:

This picture is about a month or so old but it shows high he can jump :roll: . Also all that stuff you see up there is broken or put away now.

Hi Ash,

Glad to see I am not the only one who is a clean freak icon_biggin.gif . I am also glad to see I am not the only one who does not do "out with the old and in with the new" :roll: :lol: .
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 pm

:mrgreen:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've never had a fox, right? From what you've read on here about foxes, how would you say they compare to savannahs destruction-wise (not smell-wise).

And oh my goodness! Loki can get up into some super high places! I can't believe he's only an F4. That boggles my mind that he still has that much serval in him!
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:16 pm

All pretty typical high generation savannah activities :lol:
My fennec is alot less destructive then the high gen savannahs. At least the fox doesnt chew up the light switches and baseboards.
xLovey

Postby xLovey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Whoops, I must have read the window thing backwards. Dang, you seem to have a lot of fancy things, no wonder he has so much to destroy :lol:
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:13 pm

I like your magnet. I say that all the time. After all, it is what it is :rhin:
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi Ash,

Ash wrote::mrgreen:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've never had a fox, right? From what you've read on here about foxes, how would you say they compare to savannahs destruction-wise (not smell-wise).

And oh my goodness! Loki can get up into some super high places! I can't believe he's only an F4. That boggles my mind that he still has that much serval in him!

Well technically he is an F3 so that is about 12.5% Serval while an F4 is 6.2% Serval. But yea my F3 is not a normal F3 like I said in the beginning. The breeder made that clear at the start. He has the energy and intensity of at least an F2. I would say that is for sure.

Like I have said I have worked with adult bobcats and Lynx for months when trying to rehome them for a no kill shelter. Which I finally did :peng: . The owners and cats are still happy to this day. I have also worked with and owned an F1 Bengal. Lastly I have worked with 75% Jungle cat hybrids.

But I have to say Loki has the most energy of any cat :lol: . Now maybe that is because he is in my home and the others where not :mrgreen: .

Okay so I have been a pet sitter for a Red fox for five months. The owner was divorcing so I held onto the animal and was payed to till the owner could take it back. So I have some experience with foxes.

I think it depends on that you consider destructive. I think the fox was worse cause it chewed on a lot of stuff. It also marked a lot of my processions. I also did not like that it had bowel movements in random places. Let me also say I am not a dog person. So to me he was like a domestic dog but way way worse.

That is Loki's saving grace. He is 100% litter box trained/reliable. Also Loki brakes a lot of things yes. But in all fairness I did not know how destructive or agile he would be. So part of it was my lack of preparing. But the breeder never said he was just a "small Serval" that is red and uses a litter box :lol: .

So in closing I think a fox is worse. The reason is they destroy more stuff (furniture, flooring, blinds etc) that you can not put away like I do/did with my Savannah. Also foxes use your house as a toilet my Savannah does not!

Yes, I am not for any canine species in my home :piggy: .

Hi Lasergrl,

Lasergrl wrote:All pretty typical high generation savannah activities :lol:
My fennec is alot less destructive then the high gen savannahs. At least the fox doesnt chew up the light switches and baseboards.

You are aware that my terror is just an F3 right? What I described is normal? How come there are not more in rescues? I just can not see the average person keeping a cat like this. Lastly why are the prices so high? I mean there are more idiots like me that want a wild cat in there home that uses a litter box :lol: ?

Hi XLovey,

xLovey wrote:Whoops, I must have read the window thing backwards. Dang, you seem to have a lot of fancy things, no wonder he has so much to destroy :lol:

Do not worry about the window thing. I was just trying to explain I do see Palm trees on a daily basis either :lol: . Hope that did not come out wrong. I would say I had a lot of fancy things :lol: .

So who wants a hybrid exotic cat now huh :mrgreen: ?

Lasergrl wrote:I like your magnet. I say that all the time. After all, it is what it is :rhin:

Thank you very much Lasergrl. I like that saying too. I also say it along with curse words lately. O and he broke the magnet :roll: .
Candy Cane Girl
Banned
Banned

Postby Candy Cane Girl » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi Dear :kitty Person,

All I can say is your a saint for keeping him :monk-dev: .

cat person wrote:So who wants a hybrid exotic cat now

I see nothing wrong with hybrid exotic cats. Just your choice of Savannah :monk-dev: .

cat person wrote:O and he broke the magnet :roll: .

The cat has broken your home :mrgreen: .

Lasergrl wrote:I like your magnet. I say that all the time. After all, it is what it is :rhin:

You breed Savannah cats correct? I would imagine that you say that alot as it keeps you from wanting to harm your breeding stock? Or are you like Cat Person and like pets that are "multipurpose": part pet, some house cleaner (eating non food items :lol: ), and mostly home wrecker ?

Ms. Paula Otto
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:32 pm

vln_girl wrote:Cat person, when was the last time you posted pics of Loki?? "monkshock: I think we need some!

Well, since, you asked, here are two.

This, is a rare, moment of him laying down.

This, is, Loki, with his "best friend" Panda.

If, you want, more photo's, just ask :mrgreen: .

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic cats”