PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Sand cat hybrids

Bengal, Savannah, and Chausie, all Hybrids of domestic cats with exotic/wild cat species

Moderator: Ash

Lasergrl

Re: Sand cat hybrids

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:32 pm

Here is a breeder I think in russia, of british. It isnt hard to ship cats out of russia. Where are you?

Note the kitten on this page, it has the perfect genetics for crossing, see how its lightly ticked and lightly striped? Even a cat that didnt display this perfection of color could still produce this color/pattern so seems a very good choice. BTW I would never tell anyone that you will be crossbreeding. They may not sell you a cat.

http://www.muslincats.ru/en/sirs/xenon/

One more thing to note is to NOT buy a blood type B queen as sandcats are type A and the kittens that inherit type A will fade and die after recieving type B colostrum. You can avoid this by not allowing the kittens to nurse untill the colostrum is gone but thats a pain in the rear. British shorthairs are one of the few breeds that can be B (AB would even be ok) so buy from a tested breeder.
Stripes

Postby Stripes » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Hi Elina, I saw those aswell! Thanks for looking! :) not to sure I would invest in a cross though. I like my pure breeds, at least that way if things dont go to plan with the sand cat i can have nice kittens that will find homes, if i find a good stud. Also i found some golden shorthairs at £400 each, so for the sake of £75, i could have a pedigree.

Just put our bengal upstairs with the sand cat, me and my partner spent a while watching them, they were just playing etc. Have taken her back downstairs now. We did get a video but it's grainy, could upload to youtube if anybody wants to see, but would want to make a new account on there as mine uses a username i use a lot, and there will no doubt be people messaging.

Lasergrl, Thank you so much! That is something I would have never considered. I'm so glad I posted this thread now. I thought there would be more issues than just getting a nice looking cat but this didn't even cross my mind. Yikes. I can't thank you enough! As mine is actually group B! Could have almost ended up making a terrible and stupid mistake there. Thank you again.

And Thanks everyone else aswell!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:25 pm

I think this is a very exciting project. If all turns out well, do you have any idea how much you would charge for the hybrid kittens?

Keep us posted on how things go. I'm really enjoying this thread and would like to know how everything progresses. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Elina

Postby Elina » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:44 pm

At the moment you need to put a kitty into 6 months quarantine to get it into the UK from Russia unless it is 6 months of age with a pet passport BUT in January they will be able to come in with no problems and will just need their shots so it makes getting pets from abroad much easier.

Just noticed you kept Trevor's name hehe. Did you see New World are closing down?

I will keep my eyes peeled for interesting breeds of cat. People are always telling me when they have kitten and I know a few breeders of interesting breeds.

I told my daughter about where you were thinking of breeding the Sandcat to a domestic and Audrey (my daughter) wondered if a Munchkin would work well to keep the size down? I thought they just had short legs but in Audrey's book of cat breeds it lists them as being smaller then average. . .

She is very interested in all of this as she has been messed about regarding a fair few sand cats and wants one or two SO much!
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:24 pm

I don't know if this will be controversial or not, but have you thought about the "toy" persians, which come in basically any color you want? I haven't done enough research to know a whole lot, but some breeders claim the small size comes from a mutation, not just breeding runts. If that's the case, it might be a good breed to think about! There are some "doll-face" cats that don't look too unlike sand cats.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:06 pm

The ears are too small and you would have to find a doll face one. They also can have birthing troubles. A shaded golden could have its place in a breeding program but you would be sacrificing ear size for sure.
Stripes

Postby Stripes » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi Ash, We are very excited too but we're now trying to sort out a breeding queen that is more suitable as we have decided that if we are going to do it, we want to (hopefully) get it right the first time. As for prices I have no idea, I think a lot would depend on what the kittens actually looked like and how they behave. i'm not entirely sure what price range they would be worth :S

Hi Elina, Thanks for the info about bringing cats to the UK. No, I didnt hear that they were closing down! Any idea why? What a shame! They were lovely helpful people. Haha yes we did keep his name the same, Lucy did tell us that they couldnt decide on a name and when Jon suggested "Trevor" she said "absolutely no way"... but it ended up sticking. We did intend on changing it, but after we met him for the first time we decided he was a "Trevor" :P
I would really appreciate it if you did keep an eye out for anything that might be suitable to breed him with. I think that a golden BSH is looking like our best bet at the moment as singapuras are so hard to find. Not sure if a munchkin would be a good match, I think they are adorable looking cats, but crossed with trevor i'm just imagining something really weird. lol
You're in the UK arnt you? When i find a suitable queen and if healthy kittens are born (could be some time!) I'll be posting on here and you can contact me if you are interested in one for your daughter :)

Hi vln_girl, not keen on the toy persians. I think they might actually be too small aswell and like Lasergrl says, the face wouldnt be very complimentary and the ear size. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks for all the suggestions and interest! If you think of any breeds that might be suitable and relatively easy to acquire, then please do tell me. Thanks again :)
Elina

Postby Elina » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:12 pm

I have no idea why New World are closing down, someone just posted it on a forum one day and the next apparently the shop was gone!

Yeppers I am in the UK and yes I would love to be informed if you have kittens. My Daughter and I have been looking for unrelated Sand cats for ages and will let you know if we see a female up for grabs, same with any interesting breeds of cat. It would make more sense for you to have a female sand cat if we find it then for us to as of coarse we don't have a male.

I have a friend who knows the broker that Lucy got Trevor from so I will ask him to ask the broker if he knows of any more. He did not last I checked but who knows that might have changed.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
Delight

Postby Delight » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:39 pm

These guys are only about three hours away from my house, it says they ship internationally :bear: it might be worth trying to contact them :icon-wink:

http://katzalano.com/
Stripes

Postby Stripes » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 am

Hi all,
Haven't posted for a while. Thought I would let you know that we currently have Trev running with the bengal. Haven't heard any activity but the two get along really well, sleep next to eachother etc. Hopefully he will get the idea and actually do something. I've seen him grab the back of her neck before, but not mount her. I cant supervise all the time so I've basically left them to it. I was just wondering if I should perhaps be doing anything special?
Posted another pic of Trev looking grumpy in bed and one of him looking cute.

Thanks
Attachments
trevsmall.jpg
trevsmall2.jpg
amyers

Postby amyers » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:02 pm

Love love love!!!
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:45 pm

I just LOVE your Sand Cat!

Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:07 pm

Cutie!! Hope he gets the idea!
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:50 pm

He is looking great!

I have never bred cats so I am of no help to you there sadly.

Ooooh I hope they have kittens!
Stripes

Postby Stripes » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi everybody,
It's been a long time since I last posted but I haven't had a great deal to report before now. My Bengal cat was put to sleep due to a liver disorder that the vet believed was inherited and my British shorthair was spayed and has gone to live with a family member.

After this I decided that I would not breed from my sand cat but he seemed lonely so I purchased a Chinchilla cross as a companion for him. The two got on fine and so far I had planned to have her spayed and him treated with suprelorin. Suprelorin is a drug licensed for dogs that has also been used in domestic cat breeding to render males and females sterile for a period of time, usually about 12 months. It makes male cats act like neuters and so I had planned to use this as his spraying had become dreadful.

However things have taken a turn again and just as I was thinking the idea of him having hybrid kittens was looking very unlikely he has mated my female chinchilla cross who is now about 15 months old. A mating was witnessed on the 7th of last month and she had a rather scabby neck that to me seemed to indicate more than one mating. I was dubious as to if she would catch or not but as we went into the 3rd week of potential pregnancy she got some tell tale signs such as a little bit of sickness and then her nipples pinking up. She has not come back into call either but that can sometimes happen with unsuccessful mating.

I'm feeling a little excited but also very unprepared as it was the last thing on my mind recently. I will of course be updating on here if the pregnancy goes to term and if kittens are born!

I just thought I would update you all and fingers crossed as this could be a very exciting time. She is currently eating well and seems to be happy but a little confused.

I was also wondering if anybody can tell me if blood typing is necessary for persian chinchillas? I have googled this but cant find any solid information as to if blood typing applies for them.

Thank you everybody and many thanks to the mods for changing my username.

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic cats”