PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Adopting a 1-year-old Bengal

Bengal, Savannah, and Chausie, all Hybrids of domestic cats with exotic/wild cat species

Moderator: Ash

Neofelis

Adopting a 1-year-old Bengal

Postby Neofelis » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:09 am

There's a possibility that I could be adopting a 1-year-old bengal very soon. I haven't met her yet, just heard about her through a friend. I have a couple of small doubts though.

Firstly, a bit ridiculous, but I've never adopted an adult cat. I've had a ton of cats, but I got them all as kittens. What differences will this make? Whether in bonding, adjusting, how my other cats will react, anything.

Secondly, I'm assuming an SBT bengal will be exactly the same as a regular domestic in rehoming. It shouldn't be too rough on her, right, more than the usual stress of a new home?

So excited, hope it works out! :mrgreen:
cat person
Banned
Banned

Re: Adopting a 1-year-old Bengal

Postby cat person » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:10 pm

vln_girl wrote:There's a possibility that I could be adopting a 1-year-old bengal very soon. I haven't met her yet, just heard about her through a friend. I have a couple of small doubts though.

Congratulations and best wishes :mrgreen: .

vln_girl wrote:Firstly, a bit ridiculous, but I've never adopted an adult cat. I've had a ton of cats, but I got them all as kittens.

I have always, had it, the other way around. Other then, bottle feeding, foster kittens, all my personal cats, where, adopted as adults. Minus, Loki. He was, about, four months old, when, I got him.

vln_girl wrote:What differences will this make? Whether in bonding, adjusting, how my other cats will react, anything.

I have always liked, adopting, older cats, since, it "clearly" shows the cats personality. As far as, adjusting, to a new home, that depends on a few things. One, is, the individuals cats temperament. Second, it, depends on, the amount of socialization, the cat got, when, it, was younger. Now, "how the cat, bonds, to you", depends, mainly, on the above factors, and some luck. Lastly, I can not, imagine, how, your cats will react. Other then, to say, some cats reactive "positive" and some cats, react "negative". Your, most likely, going to be, better, at assessing that, then, us.

vln_girl wrote:Secondly, I'm assuming an SBT benga

I would, assume so, too. But, if, your overly curious, I would ask. My, F1 Bengal, Taro, was a cat, acquired, by a breeder, but, she never breed. So, I was given her. She was, as sweet, as pie. She was calmer, tamer, and more "normal" then, Loki. Normal, as a get gets :lol: .

vln_girl wrote:l will be exactly the same as a regular domestic in rehoming. It shouldn't be too rough on her, right, more than the usual stress of a new home?

If, she was, properly, socialized, yes. If not, I have found, working with, rescued Bengals, sometimes, can be challenging. Only, in the sense, that, they can sometimes, take a little longer, to "calm down". They, can be a little more, flighty.

vln_girl wrote:So excited, hope it works out! :mrgreen:

I am, very excited, for you. Please, let us know, how, it works out. Lastly, why does the owner, want to, rehome, the cat?

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Good luck! I hope everything works out for you.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks for the reply, cat person. She's rehoming because of pregnancy and moving; she thinks it would be too difficult to handle everything at once. As far as I know, there's still a small chance she'll keep her, though, so we'll see what happens.

None of my cats really like each other, so I don't have high hopes of instant friendship with a new cat lol. I was just wondering if they would take longer to accept an adult than a kitten. Maybe, because they couldn't necessarily assert instant dominance. (With new kittens, they tend to whack them around a bit and feel all powerful. :roll: :lol: An adult might just whack back and ruin their confidence. icon_biggin.gif )

I guess it'll just remain to be seen how they take to her. IF I get her.

Thanks, Ash, I'm so excited! :mrgreen:
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:06 pm

vln_girl wrote:Thanks for the reply, cat person.

You are welcome, vln_girl.

vln_girl wrote:She's rehoming because of pregnancy and moving; she thinks it would be too difficult to handle everything at once.

That is, a, common/plausible reason, to rehome a cat. At least, in my experience, dealing with, recused cats.

vln_girl wrote:As far as I know, there's still a small chance she'll keep her, though, so we'll see what happens.

For once, I hope, the owner, relinquishes, the cat to you :mrgreen: . The words, owner and relinquish the cats, are rarely, said or typed, by me. But, in this case, it is :lol: .

vln_girl wrote:None of my cats really like each other, so I don't have high hopes of instant friendship with a new cat lol.

Most, of, mine do either. In fact, I would say, the three, pure domestics, hate, each other. What helps, in my case is, two, go in and out, at will. While, one is, completely, indoor, by her choosing. Lastly, all three, of my pure domestics, are females. I have noticed, female cats, get along, less well, then, male cats. But, all my cats, are, rescues. So, what can I do?

vln_girl wrote:I was just wondering if they would take longer to accept an adult than a kitten.

In general, yes. But, all cats, are individuals, so, results will vary, sometimes dramatically.

vln_girl wrote: Maybe, because they couldn't necessarily assert instant dominance. (With new kittens, they tend to whack them around a bit and feel all powerful. :roll: :lol: An adult might just whack back and ruin their confidence. icon_biggin.gif )

To the best, of, my knowledge, that would be, the reason, cats accept, a kitten better then an adult cat. Also, how many cats do you have, what gender are they, and ages, are the cats> Lastly, all the cats, you own, plus, the Bengal, have been castrated, already, correct?

P.S.- I am sure, you know, how, to do, a "proper domestic cat introduction". But, if, you want, my "version", feel free, to, ask.

Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:19 pm

I have 4 cats, 3 females and 1 male. They're all fixed, but one was spayed improperly and still goes into heat. :wall: The bengal I believe is spayed, but I don't know for sure.

Maybe mine don't get along because they're mostly girls too. :monk-dev:

For once, I hope, the owner, relinquishes, the cat to you.

Thanks!! :mrgreen:
Ciaobella

Postby Ciaobella » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:42 am

Good luck! I hope it all works for you icon-smile
Was Cierpke, lost password xD
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Any news, on, your new kitty? Yes, just being nosy :lol: .

Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:32 am

Nice new avatar, cat person!!

I haven't heard from them. My friend, who is in contact with them, says that it's hard for the lady to give up her cat. They will email me when/if they're ready. :hin: The plan is to give it up, but it's a hard step to take. I feel really selfish wishing they would, because the cat might be happier staying in its original home. But I guess we'll still see!

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic cats”