Pink noses?

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Pink noses?

Postby sarajeku » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:17 am

Are these full wolves? Or wolfdogs? Or is this some sort of skin condition? I always thought wolves always had black noses, so my first thought is some sort of medical condition, but I wanted to ask and see if someone more knowledgable than me might know for sure. :shrug:

Lasergrl

Re: Pink noses?

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:33 pm

That's what it looks like when an animal buries and digs and rubs so much the nose leather wears off. Its like a scar. There are diseases that cause that too but usually there are other symptoms like flaking and missing pigment around eyes.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:39 pm

I agree, definately looks like he's hurt his nose before. That nose definately wasnt always that color.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:32 pm

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Interesting. I thought it might be some sort of condition that caused it, but why do you say definitely? Is there something I'm missing to let on that it was black before? Image
Dudley nose?? I've never heard of that. I've heard of vitiligo though.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:25 pm

I hadn't heard it called Dudley nose before either. I had heard of and seen snow nose before though.

The nose is black around the edges and inside still so it would be unlikely to have been born that way and a strong indication it was once black all over.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Ahhh I missed that! I thought it was just shadows in the second picture! I kind of like it, as long as the cause isn't painful. It's kind of cute. I like the "different' look of it. :icon-wink:
My (almost) 13 year old golden retriever gets snow nose every winter, but I've never heard of "collie nose" though. My collie doesn't have a problem with it.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Now that Im home and can see the picture alot better then on my phone, I do think it looks like snow nose.
It looks like the pink extends down the front of the nose and not just the top.
Very strange. I have never seen snow nose so extreme let alone in a wolf or wolf dog. It may have some Husky in it, thats a common husky trait.
Dudley nose is alot different, its usually associated with a dilute gene, like a yellow lab that is dilute (they will usually have yellow eyes too).
My Toller has snow nose, she is a "black nose" but it does fade. There are black nosed tollers that dont fade, they have sable gene.

http://www.prodoggroomingsupplies.com/d ... hp?t=44213
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:51 pm

The site LG linked to said a nose can lighten because of thyriod problems. Maybe it's a wolf or wolfdog with thyriod problems.

As for Dudley noses, aren't they a light brown color(like on chocolate lab),not a pink color?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Web MD said it could be just lightened or turn to pink for Dudley nose, which they defined as any lightening where the cause is not known.

My first thought had been winter nose too. Thyroid is unlikely as there would be fur thinning as well.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:34 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Web MD said it could be just lightened or turn to pink for Dudley nose, which they defined as any lightening where the cause is not known.

My first thought had been winter nose too. Thyroid is unlikely as there would be fur thinning as well.

Oh. Wait. Dudley nose is a condition/disease that a dog gets that makes its nose lighten? Then,what's it called when a dog is born with a pink or brown nose (instead of a black nose) that stays brown or pink it's whole life and doesn't change color like brown noses on a chocolate lab for example?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:03 am

I think there are different meanings for Dudley then. In dog breeding a Dudley nose is a mismark. Its lack of pigment on a dog that should have pigment. A chocolate labs nose is not Dudley, its called "self colored". A tan nose on a yellow lab is Dudley. Yellow labs should have dark pigment. Sometimes they get snow nose and sometimes they are yellow labs that also have chocolate dilute. In most breeds Dudley's are dilutes. Google Dudley bullmastiff the get the idea.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Lasergrl wrote:I think there are different meanings for Dudley then. In dog breeding a Dudley nose is a mismark. Its lack of pigment on a dog that should have pigment. A chocolate labs nose is not Dudley, its called "self colored". A tan nose on a yellow lab is Dudley. Yellow labs should have dark pigment. Sometimes they get snow nose and sometimes they are yellow labs that also have chocolate dilute. In most breeds Dudley's are dilutes. Google Dudley bullmastiff the get the idea.

Oh. That's what I thought. I thought I remembered dogs being born with pink noses being called dudley nosed.

Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:09 am

I think pink-nosed wolves are cute! They have that derpy look, hehe.

Return to “Wolves”