PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Pure wolf breeders

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lonewolfjay

Pure wolf breeders

Postby Lonewolfjay » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:35 am

I would like to know if anyone on here knows any breeders that sell pure wolves.
1. wolves and wolf hybrids are not new to me and they are perfectly legal in my state.
2. I don't breed any animal I own
3. Why not a wolf hybrid? I own one and love him it is just my own personal reasons just like if I wanted to own a full blooded coyote,fox,raccoon, or any other pure blooded exotic animal I could and that animal would not be a mixed breed not that I have anything wrong with mixed breeds it is as I stated above I own a hybrid I love him and I would not take anything for him it's just my own personal decision.
4. I know of countless wolf hybrid breeders but no pure wolves breeders

Anyone that could help me find one would be highly appreciated
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pure wolf breeders

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum. We do know of a good number of pure wolf breeders.

Do you know the content of your current wolfdog? If you don't have a high content, you may be up for quite a challenge. You haven't posted too much about yourself, so obviously I don't really know much about the wolfdog you currently have. :) Lots of times we get people on here wanting to get a pure wolf, claiming they have a high content, when in fact they have a super low content or no-content animal. Not saying that you're one of those people, but we don't know much about you.

They are gorgeous animals, indeed. I would absolutely LOVE to get some wolves someday, but at the moment I don't have the money to provide for a huge outdoor enclosure. Darn chain link being so expensive! My fox's new enclosure is going to be quite an expense, and so there's no way I could provide the type of enclosure needed for the wolf, but hopefully one day. I'm always interested in enclosure plans--do you know the dimensions of the enclosure you'll be making? I'm always looking for others input. :)

Anyway, glad to have you here. I would love to hear more about your pets!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Lonewolfjay

Postby Lonewolfjay » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:15 pm

I have worked with wolves before I would rather not go into it because they did not belong to me I just worked with them from time to time. My wolf hybrid is high content not one of the highest out there but high as for his behavior and personality it is just like that of a wolf he is very shy,skittish,and he does not like places or people he is not familiar with and he does not bark he only howls. Dimensions of the enclosure is unknown I did not measure it I just did everything by eye sight and a little hard work it is 8 feet high chain link concreted around the bottom however if you ever want to share ideas or opinions I would be glad to do so.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:00 am

Cool. Well, if you've been in the wolfdog community, I'm sure you can understand why I wanted to know. Like I said, too many people out there are keen on getting a wolf, claiming they have the experience when they really don't at all since they've been lied to or misled. You've probably run into that a lot since you've worked with wolves.

Well, here are some reputable breeders I know of. :)

http://www.seacrestwolfpreserve.org/

http://www.bigrunwolfranch.org/contact.html

There are others too, and Cindy may chime in and give you some more. She's very knowledgeable on wolves and wolfdogs and owns two highs. You should check out some of her threads. I just love her Loki and Selene. ;)

From what I've read, 8' is the minimum height for a high content or a wolf, though since they are great escape artists they have been known to get out of them anyway. If it were me, I'd do a 12' just to be extra safe, but that's just me (I may be overly cautious though; my red fox is an escape artist, so he has taught me to be that way, lol).

Whenever I get around to getting wolves (not anytime too soon, unfortunately) I'm hoping to use cattle panels to make the enclosure. They are way cheaper than chainlink. So are horse panels, and they have smaller spacing between the bars, so may be better. I really enjoy making up enclosure plans, it's just a fun past-time for me, and I love looking at other peoples' pictures of their enclosures and hearing their ideas. It gives me a lot to build off of.

Anyway, hope you stick around some. We'd love to hear more about your pets, and also your plans for your future wolf.

EDIT: Oh, also since you already have the 8' fence you could add in lean-ins for added security if your wolf happens to be an escape-artist type. This will make it almost impossible for them to climb out.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:57 am

Sorry I'm running out the door to work, so I can't type much right now but will when I get home.
But wanted to ask real quick, what state is it that you live in that you can own a pure wolf?
Lonewolfjay

Postby Lonewolfjay » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:42 am

Yeah I understand and I actually thought about adding lean-ins maybe in the future.
Just so everyone understands each other I'm not planning on getting a full wolf anytime soon there is still lots to think about and lots to do first to own a full wolf where I live you must get a permit which I can get but like I said there still lots to do and think about for wolf hybrids there is no permit required. I would like to say more but I got some things to do and gotta jump off of here.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:28 pm

Where is it that you live? Which state?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:13 pm

The wire(cattle panel type) are actually easier for them to climb than chain link. The wood corners make it easy. I knew guy long ago shared a video of his low content going right over the corner of a pen like that and it was 8 ft I think.

This one did the same and it was 10ft(mostly wire and wood too)
http://www.news-press.com/VideoNetwork/ ... bing-fence

My opinion would be stick with chain link and lean ins at top.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:16 pm

Are these the cattle panels you're thinking about? These are the solid piece ones:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h

Do you know if it was this type in the link above, or was it wire-type like in the video? I think the place where Sarajeku volunteered used the cattle panels for their wolfdogs and wolves.

Good to know though that they can get out with the cattle panels.

Horse panels would probably be better then since they have the smaller holes, and a wolf may not be able to get such a big paw through the hole.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:32 pm

I think either can be a problem, wire or harder. The video long ago showed it going up a corner so the wood can be part of the problem. I don't think you can trust any of them without a lean in though.

PS For the sanctuary looks like small opening chain link viewtopic.php?f=68&t=8787&start=15
Attachments
Wolf climbing 12' fence.jpg
Wolf climbing 12' fence
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:41 pm

I would suggest lean ins and hot wire on the top. No animal is going to go over the top with a zap waiting up there.
~RabbleFox
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:44 am

TG, ah, yeah I see. It looks like chain link in the Totem pics. I wonder how they can climb up so fast? To my knowledge wolves don't really climb in the wild.

RabbleFox wrote:I would suggest lean ins and hot wire on the top. No animal is going to go over the top with a zap waiting up there.

Definitely. I think hotwire is a must for most larger animals. Lean ins would help a lot too.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:06 am

TamanduaGirl this pic you shared here, there is actually a funny story to go with it. The owner of the sanctuary had noticed stuff around moved. But could never figured out what was going on. All the animals were in they're enclosure. Till one morning she finally caught the culprit. Not going out of his enclosure. But he had already been out and caught him climbing the fence to go back in.

Here is a couple more pics of escape artists.

Lonewolfjay

Postby Lonewolfjay » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:31 am

West Virginia is where I live.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:35 pm

Actually wolfdogs you can own, but only if you get them within the state, as they do not allow importation. Reading about the part on the wolves it sounds like they do not always allow you to get the permit for owning a wolf either.

West Virginia

"The importation of any species of wildlife into West Virginia is governed by a Wildlife Importation permit. These permits have been denied in recent years for wolves and other potentially dangerous wildlife due to some bad experiences in the past. Wolf Hybrids with more than 1% dog in their lineage are treated as dogs and therefor would not be under the jurisdiction of the Fish and Game Department; however, importation is not allowed."

Return to “Wolves”