Pure wolf breeders

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pure wolf breeders

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Cindy23323: Cool. I couldn't find the original source. At least there was no real trouble caused by it.

Ash: interesting observation. Maybe it's the dog's fault in the hybrid mix as it's easy to find images of Huskies climbing fences. Or maybe it's just because they are raised in and around the fences so are used to them and figure them out.
Lonewolfjay

Postby Lonewolfjay » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:22 pm

Yes I read this before and several other information on the subject and understand it I have talked to several people to see how I would go about getting everything I would need and without question there would be lots of hassle and aggravation that's why it's not going to be anytime soon but I figure it doesn't hurt to know where you can get a full blooded wolf when or if the time comes.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:34 pm

I just kind of skimmed through all of this.
Ash, WR has both chain link and cattle panel, depending on the animal. The larger enclosures housing the cats, Totem, and higher content animals are mostly chain link, while the enclosures housing the lower content animals and the perimeter fences are mostly cattle panel.

I have a question about the WV law. IF one were to get the permit for a pure wolf, would the no importation part of the law still apply? Or is that only for wolfdogs?
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:37 pm

[size=85]I don't trust chain link with regular dogs let alone a wolf or wolfdog. I've had hounds chew through it, and a rescued husky push under it. Cattle panels with woven horse wire on the bottom, and a hot wire on top and half way up the side, with lean ins sounds the best to me. Note, I have no wolf or wolf dog experience just going off of what I know about dogs, and what I've read about wolves.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:51 am

No one ever talks about high tensile steel wire horse/deer fence. Its cheaper then chain link and looks FAR better then either chain link or cattle panel. Comes in different heights and openings.
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:16 am

deer fencing actually might work. i go up to scotland quite a bit to work with some farmers and game keepers in the highlands their fences are 12foot high with a zap in the middle and at the top to stop things getting in/out not sure hwo effective it would be against a wolf.

if it were me building the enclosure i would dig down the perimeter and bury the bottom i would bury the last few feet of chainlink in concrete with a concrete base covered in soil and have lean in's at the top with zaps middle and top -- you're trying to keep them in afterall.

just my thoughts and i have no experience of wolves just dogs and a dog will go under/over and chew through a chainlink fence.
no point blaming the dog cos you tukd up ;)
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:57 am

Deer fencing is normally 14 or 12 1/2 gauge. That is no where near strong enough.
StormyTheCoon

Postby StormyTheCoon » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:23 am

Ash wrote:Cool. Well, if you've been in the wolfdog community, I'm sure you can understand why I wanted to know. Like I said, too many people out there are keen on getting a wolf, claiming they have the experience when they really don't at all since they've been lied to or misled. You've probably run into that a lot since you've worked with wolves.

Well, here are some reputable breeders I know of. :)

http://www.seacrestwolfpreserve.org/

http://www.bigrunwolfranch.org/contact.html

There are others too, and Cindy may chime in and give you some more. She's very knowledgeable on wolves and wolfdogs and owns two highs. You should check out some of her threads. I just love her Loki and Selene. ;)

From what I've read, 8' is the minimum height for a high content or a wolf, though since they are great escape artists they have been known to get out of them anyway. If it were me, I'd do a 12' just to be extra safe, but that's just me (I may be overly cautious though; my red fox is an escape artist, so he has taught me to be that way, lol).

Whenever I get around to getting wolves (not anytime too soon, unfortunately) I'm hoping to use cattle panels to make the enclosure. They are way cheaper than chainlink. So are horse panels, and they have smaller spacing between the bars, so may be better. I really enjoy making up enclosure plans, it's just a fun past-time for me, and I love looking at other peoples' pictures of their enclosures and hearing their ideas. It gives me a lot to build off of.

Anyway, hope you stick around some. We'd love to hear more about your pets, and also your plans for your future wolf.

EDIT: Oh, also since you already have the 8' fence you could add in lean-ins for added security if your wolf happens to be an escape-artist type. This will make it almost impossible for them to climb out.

I know I'm commenting on an old thread but the link you provided are not breeders and don't sell to the public. They ask for donations to help take care of their animals. More like a sanctuary. No breeding or selling for the public.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:36 pm

StormyTheCoon wrote:I know I'm commenting on an old thread but the link you provided are not breeders and don't sell to the public. They ask for donations to help take care of their animals. More like a sanctuary. No breeding or selling for the public.

Many MANY breeders that used to breed and sell to the public, do not do so anymore for various reasons. Including both of the facilities that Ash posted. At the time this thread was active, they were breeders.
One of Cindy's animals is from Seacrest I believe. Cindy hasn't been active here in a while, but she has posted a lot of pictures of her wolfdogs in the past.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:14 pm

Loki is from St. Augustine Preserve in FL. A lot of his family members are housed at Seacrest Wolf Preserve, which Cindy posted in 2012 that they were selling to the [properly licensed] public. Their Facebook and website say this: "The 2016 wolf pups are in their new homes with their new families. Pawnee, Maverick, Mesa and Apache were adopted into their packs on this past Saturday tour. It was a true celebration of wolves as family and very moving to experience. Even the rain did not interfere with this exciting event. The pups are doing well in their new homes and love their new family and habitats."

Whether or not that means they are selling to the public or not, I am not sure, but it does mean that they are breeding and selling at this time.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:57 am

Right Loki is from St. Augustine wild preserve. His mother is from Seacrest and there is a ton of his relatives there.

Both Seacrest and Bigrunwolfranch used to sale to the public. I know several of the private owners who have gotten from them. Now if they do or not anymore that is a different story though. A couple of Seacrests ended up in rescue the last few years and rescuers giving them a hard time for not screening owners properly, so they may have finally stopped.
Just because they ask for donations does not mean they are not selling animals. If you check out St. Augustines page where I purchased Loki, they have a donation button right there too. http://www.staugustinewildreserve.org/Mission.htm

The user cl0ud77 that is on this forum, dont think she is active anymore, who has a sister to my Selene, has/had 2 animals that are cousins to my Loki that she purchased straight from Cynthia Watkins aka Seacrest wolf preserve.

Return to “Wolves”