PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Coywolves

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

GrayWolf

Coywolves

Postby GrayWolf » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:23 am

I'm looking to purchase a Coywolf. The mother is pure Eurasian Wolf and the father is pure Plains Coyote. The person who purchased him lives in a town that has banned the keeping of all members of the genus canis, except domestic dogs, including Gray Wolves and Coyotes, which this poor creature is both. I live in Grants Pass, OR and am considering purchasing him and giving him a loving home. He has lived with Ring-Tailed Lemur, 2 Savannahs, Miniature Pig, Agile Wallaby, Common Marmoset, Crab-Eating Macaque, Grey-Crowned Central American Squirrel Monkey, Ecuadorian Capuchin, Cape Genet, Arctic Fox, Chausie and Sugar Glider since he was 6-weeks-old and they also have a 6-year-old daughter. I've been told he is very playful. They are asking $700 for him, which I find to be very cheap. They just need him to find a good home before he is seized and euthanized. Now, I'm not sure if where I live allows Coywolves. This dog is 96.5 pounds, so is about the size of a large German Shepherd Dog. Does anybody know if Oregon allows Coywolves and if I need a permit or not? Thanks in advance. Could I just say he was a domestic dog? He could pass for a Tamaskan. The only problem is that he has absolutely no domestic dog DNA. I don't want to lie, but I feel I could give this animal a great home. By the way, is anyone else sick of the exotic pet bans that keep going in to place? Sorry to go on and on, but I think we should just legalize everything. :lol:
Juska

Re: Coywolves

Postby Juska » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:40 am

Just from reading the Oregon exotic law summary here on the forum (though I'm not sure how up-to-date it is), the laws are, briefly, this:

"in summery exotics are non-domestic canines, felines, bears, primates, crocodiles and alligators and and are banned as pets. You are exempt from the exotics law if you are USDA or a sanctuary as defined by the new code.

All other animals are categorized.
Domestic and unregulated there are no rules for owning them.
Regulated, you need a permit.
Prohibited, you can get a prohibited animal permit but it's harder to get because these are considered a threat to the wildlife if they escape."

So just from that I'd say a coywolf probably isn't going to be legal. It's not that it's a coywolf, just a non-domestic canine in general that isn't allowed.

I would not lie about his origin, that's only asking for trouble. Game and fish people mistake plain old domestic dogs for coyotes, wolves, foxes and all sorts of other creatures, so who knows what they'd make of him.

Also, how/why the heck would someone breed a coyote to (specifically) a Eurasian wolf, not to mention how did someone get hold of a pure, unaltered Eurasian and then have the mind to start breeding it to a coyote? Why would you do that? And then why would you sell it to someone who couldn't keep it and then not take it back/why would you buy one if you lived in an area where you can't have one (besides them changing the laws, which happens). I'm very confused about that.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:35 pm

Probably just a wolf hybrid with no coyote and the breeder lied to these people. Hybrids to domestics are legal as far as state law goes.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Do you have any pictures of him?

Return to “Wolves”