PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Arctic Enclosures

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

StarXCrossedXWolf

Arctic Enclosures

Postby StarXCrossedXWolf » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:38 pm

This applies to all arctic species such as arctic wolves, arctic foxes, and snow leopards, but I figured since I'm most interested in how this applies for the wolves, I would put it here. Please tell me if there's a more appropriate place for it!

So I've been wandering around the forums and decided to finally see if I can get some answers for some questions I've had for a while. I live in Florida, and when I volunteered at the wolf sanctuary in my area, they had both an arctic fox and an arctic wolf. The arctic wolf was treated like the other wolves and wolfdogs that were housed outside - they had tubs for cooling down in and houses with shade. The arctic fox was treated like the other foxes with an outdoor enclosure but also had a small house which had an air conditioner hooked up to it so he had a cool space. While I was visiting the Detroit Zoo during the summer I noticed that the polar bear enclosure was outdoors as well.

My questions are these: 1) How do zoos and educational facilities usually keep animals such as these comfortable when they have outdoor habitats; do they also have indoor areas that are cooler for them to relax in? 2) If any of you have this type of animal in a similar climate, how do you keep them happy? And 3) Any other advice on how to keep such critters happy in warmer climates?
Call me Kia, the mama of:
4.1.0 Ball Pythons
1.1.0 Carpet Pythons
0.0.1 Spotted Python
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
1.1.3 Crested Geckos
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos
1.0.0 Short-Tailed Opossum
And more to come!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Arctic Enclosures

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:53 pm

Arctic wolves are just a subspecies of the gray wolf, not a separate species. So they would receive the same care as a regular wolf or high content wolfdog would receive.

People have expressed concern and worry about arctic foxes being kept in high heat. Owners usually suggest that an indoor area be provided for them. Of course, shade and water too. Some people put fans outside by their arctics.

They will pull out their winter coats sooner if they are hot. Usually their coats loosen up around spring, but it takes them forever to pull it all out. Drives me crazy when it's summer and my red still has gray winter coat poking out here and there. :roll:

A friend had an arctic fox out here in Utah. I asked if it did okay in the heat, and she said it did fine, so I'm assuming the animals do learn to adapt.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
StarXCrossedXWolf

Postby StarXCrossedXWolf » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:53 am

Thanks for the info! I was hoping to one day to own these animals - especially arctic wolves - but was worried about how they would handle the warmer weather. I probably will still supply a cooler area for them to relax in when the heat gets to be too much.
4.1.0 Ball Pythons
1.1.0 Carpet Pythons
0.0.1 Spotted Python
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
1.1.3 Crested Geckos
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos
And more to come!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Yeah, that's what I plan to do if I ever get any arctic foxes.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:22 am

It's not really much of a comparison behavior wise, but I know that Great Pyrenees do fine outdoors in Florida. Apollo gets very drooly outdoors for us, but that's because he's been living inside of our apartment since August, and lived primarily indoors at his foster home. The lady we are buying our Nubian goats from has Great Pyrenees guarding her herds (4 of them) and they all do fine outdoors in the summer heat. Their coats are about as thick as you can get in a dog, so I imagine they're competitive with wolf coats. That, and they were bred to shepherd in the mountains of France, so.. cold climate dogs they definitely are! :lol:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:17 am

Like Ash already stated, Arctics can be kept just like any other subspecies of wolf.
I picked up Loki from St. Augustine wild reserve in Florida, his mom along with a lot of others in his line are arctic. They were kept just like any other wolf there and were doing just fine. Other arctics in his line are at seacrest wolf preserve in Chipley, FL.
StarXCrossedXWolf

Postby StarXCrossedXWolf » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:39 am

@Blue - Great Pyrenees are gorgeous, and you do have a valid point. Thanks!

@Cindy - I didn't know that seacrest had arctics; I have wanted to visit them for a while but never got the chance. Thank you for the advice! It makes me much more comfortable knowing they will be okay in the heat.
4.1.0 Ball Pythons
1.1.0 Carpet Pythons
0.0.1 Spotted Python
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
1.1.3 Crested Geckos
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos
And more to come!
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant