PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

faithful spirit

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

autumn blitz

faithful spirit

Postby autumn blitz » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:58 am

due to an absolute fluke that happened on wednesday i'm now the new handler of a white wolf cross alaskan malamute :)

she's total white with dark eyes and is now 11 months old and before todays walk i dont think that anyone had actually walked her properly -- my collies needed walking so we went 20 miles and she was with us all the way :) she stopped pulling after about 5 miles and walked nice enough next to me on a collar and leash :) -- i've not had anything to do with wolves apart from commenting on pictures and watching them on tv but always thought that i'd never get the chance to work with one.

there are some pictures on my FB timeline cos i never did work out how to put them up in these boards -- my FB addy is --- www.facebook.com/snoball.snoball

there are some pictures but bear in mind that she is only 11months old - would love to know what wolf content she is before she grows up so that if i need a bigger house i can move before she grows up :)

food wise i'm giving her working canine food with meat (whatever i get off the farm so its either lamb, chicken or beef or some pork sausages) mixed which she loves --- i dont really want to change the mix due to the fact that all my dogs get the same mix so i just added an extra bowl :)

also will she start howling on her own ????? and if so is there an age that she'll get to and then start or does it depend on other factors ????? a lot of people have told me that keeping her at home with me and jake is the best thing i could have done cos of the pack mentality is this right ????? either way she's gunna be going walkies with my collies everyday for a very very long time :)
no point blaming the dog cos you tukd up ;)
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: faithful spirit

Postby sarajeku » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:59 am

Hi there! I creeped your page to see your pictures. She is very pretty, but if she has any content, from what I can see, it is probably low, so I'd say you're pretty safe to keep doing what you're doing. My low content stays indoors with me most of the time, and when I'm gone to work, he stays outside with my collie. My low content started howling at 7 weeks old, so I suppose it really depends on the animal.
This is my boy howling throughout his life (up until recently because that's all the videos I had)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0hlFTZcYXM

Another member on here, Cindy, has experience with all contents, so she will probably come along and add more info to what I have said, as I only have a couple of years of experience working with higher contents, and my wolfdog is low. She's a wealth of knowledge.
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:13 pm

thankyou for that :)

i was reading some other stuff posted in these boards and things like the v cape are pronounced on her its just that maybe piccie quality or lighting for the shots is not quite right but its definitely there.

neither myself nor the guy that i took her in from knew how much malamute or wolf she was so to be pointed in the right direction is a very great help :)
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:26 pm

i've put some more piccies up on my FB page :)

just wondering if there's much difference between a pup and the actual adult -- i say this cos all my collies started out with different colours to what they ended up with so will that be true for faith as well and will things become more advanced in time given her age so she'll better define what she is ????? in which case send a friend request cos there's gunna be almost daily updates :)

i am in no way knocking anything that you're saying cos -- i havent got a scooby -- it's not my area of expertise :)
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:29 pm

There are lots of traits to consider, not just the V-cape. icon-smile

I sent you a friend request so you can see my pictures of my boy on FB and the mid and HC I photograph. If you like, I will PM you there.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:55 pm

This site contains invaluable info: http://www.texx-wolf-tails.com/
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:23 pm

all friend requests have been accepted :)

i'll have a look at that website too ash :)

i was "talking" with Sara J. Worley on FB earlier this afternoon and she said that faithful spirit is a low content white wolf --- have a look at the piccies cos i got no ideas !!!!!!

sara said that she was low content and outlined what i will and wont be able to do --- some of which explained a lot - like for instance being able to let her off leash like i did about 2 hours ago so she could go and run with my collies apparently she would never do that let alone come back when called which i thought was outstanding given the length of time that i've had her for - even a collie takes a certain amount of time before it complies.

sorry for the collie references in this forum but thats where my experience lies and this is totally new to me.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:28 pm

That's not QUITE what I said... but Ash is right. That website is a great source. :icon-wink:
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:33 pm

just spoken to the previous owner about her on FB and he said that the test results are as follows 77% white wolf and 23% malamute !!!!!!

i am totally shocked then by what i'm witnessing on the ground when i'm out n about ---

here's what i've got her to do so far
walking to heel - short leash and collar
sitting at the kerbside to cross roads - sitting and waiting whilst i do other stuff
going in her pen on her own - with a finger snap command
running around off leash in farmers fields
coming to me when called - takes a bit of time but she does come and then she sits for her leash

thinking that my collies are rubbing off on her bigtime in which case every wolf owner needs to get a collie first and then bring in the wolf cub to learn from the collie :)
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:47 pm

sorry sweetie - i've just put 2 n 2 together --- your UN got me sorry my bad :(

the other stuff was me forgetting to start a new paragraph :(

have since respoken to the origninal owner and posted about it in these boards
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:16 am

Sorry running out the door so cant post much at the moment but I seen where you said test results and percents. There is no test out there for the public that can give you percents of how much wolf is in a animal. Also there is only one test out there that will show you if it even has wolf in it and that is the UC davis test. So if the breeder or past owner told you that, then they are definitely telling you some lies.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:48 am

And as far as I know, even some purebred dogs (Shar-Pei?) have come up positive for "wolf markers" in their DNA. Tamaskan dogs, a breed uncertain if there's any wolf in it or not, has had both positive and negative results come up for litter mates. So it's not a very good test at all, it seems.

I second sarajeku, if there is any wolf in your dog, it's very, very little (<10%), so she's practically all dog. She also looks rather small and has no spitz-tail, so I even doubt malamute, she looks mostly like a husky-cross.

He's a pure wolf and pure dog to show some of the differences:

Also the site posted above, Texx wolf tails, has great picture (and text) representations of what a dog, low-content, mid-content, high-content, and true wolf looks like.

http://www.texx-wolf-tails.com/lowcontentwolfdogs.htm
http://www.texx-wolf-tails.com/midconte ... spage1.htm
http://www.texx-wolf-tails.com/midcontentspage2.htm
http://texx-wolf-tails.webs.com/highcontentwolfdogs.htm

http://www.texx-wolf-tails.com/contenta ... typing.htm
http://www.texx-wolf-tails.com/wolfdogscomparison.htm
(Lots of black text on dark background unfortunately, but if you mark the text it can be read.)
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:17 pm

Just looked at the pics of you're pretty girl, and I'd say a low at best. Appears to have an awful lot of husky in her. A higher content animal is going to look mostly or all wolf and not appear to be all dog. Here is a pic of a higher content white

This one is my boy Loki's mother a pure named Isis who is at St. Augustine wild reserve

And here's a couple pics of two of my animals. A higher content next to our low/no boy. See the differences.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:25 pm

She looks just like my BF white huskies only smaller. She's pretty though and better behaved than his dogs.

Return to “Wolves”