https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

just read your advice page

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

autumn blitz

just read your advice page

Postby autumn blitz » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:16 am

well that's me stuffed :(

didnt know about needing a license and i live in england -- my total experience with a wolf dog is at this moment approx 24hours and its gone pretty damn good considerign i didnt have a scooby. think whats gunna help me overall is that she's 11 and a half months old and all my collies are older and she's submitted to jake my top dog collie.

the training that i thought would help is the same level as a grade 3 collie - not outstanding but suitable for everyday stuff :) also thought that by running her with my collies they would bond to each other so if she does get big they'll all still get on or at least thats the plan. the idea with the exercise is that a well exercised animal is less likely to be a pain the butt and by changing out the places where i walk i'm hoping that like my collies the mental stimulation will be enough.

most people where i live are pro anything that i bring home with 4 legs and fur :) and for now they are quite happy to have her living next door.

gunna need all the help i can muster i think if what i'm doing is wrong.

please feel free to shout at me if i'm doing things wrong :)

the pictures on my facebook page show her off leash -- she responds really well but can i stress that the field that she's in is totally enclosed by 4ft high wire mesh and barbed wire with proper 5 bar entrance and exit gates --- todays walk has been with my long line leash and a short leash - i just dont know what would happen if i did let her go off leash would she stay with the "pack" or would she just go ?????
no point blaming the dog cos you tukd up ;)
Juska

Re: just read your advice page

Postby Juska » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Dogs do not live in packs or follow that fake "pack mentality", I would imagine wolf dogs are the same. Don't trust her to "stay with the pack" because there is no such thing.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:55 am

you may not need a licence depending on what generation wolf dog it is. if it is 2 generations or more from the pure wolf ancestor then you don't need a licence, you only need a dwa if it's F1 (pure wolf parent) or F2 (F1 parent)
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:14 am

Yes they do. O_o

https://tarastermer.wordpress.com/2009/ ... stic-dogs/

The idea that dogs are "not pack animals" is probably the silliest idea conjured up by the new "modern dog training ideology". Anyone who knows anything about dogs and dog behavior, or has ever owned multiple dogs at one time, must know that they are pack animals. It's right there to see.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:18 am

Dogs certainly are pack animals, but the "pack hierarchy" originally described (eg "alpha" "omega" etc) came from captive bred wolves that were not from the same pack, thrown into the same enclosure and having to work out a system of "who is boss"
If you expect your dog to see you as "alpha" and therefore never run away if they start chasing a rabbit or "stay with the pack" that is where the issue is. Especially wolfdogs, who are notorious escape artists.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:19 am

^ This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Also notice that all of those dogs are wild or feral dogs. Whether or not an animal lives in a group has no relation to a dog's loyalty to people.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:05 pm

There's a difference between just grouping together and being a pack as well. They group together for company but feral dogs are more of a mob than a pack.

Edit: "In 2004, a study reviewed 5 other studies of feral dogs published between 1975 and 1995 and concluded that their pack structure is very loose and rarely involves any cooperative behavior, either in raising young or in obtaining food."

Return to “Wolves”