PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Getting a wolf

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:24 am

Well then, maybe I'll be able to get away with hamburger meat, I don't know. I only get $8.50 an hour, for five hours most weeks. With the initial cost of the dog plus half an acres worth of 7ft. high fencing, this venture is becoming expensive enough as it is. :?
RIP Martino, I'm sure Olivia misses you.
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Still waiting for the breeder to email me back to see what they feed them.
Alyssa

Postby Alyssa » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:48 am

Apologies in advance for the late response. Illness has recently caught me off guard.

I decided to take a look at the breeders website for myself, what you will be receiving is a mid content. I would be concerned if the wolfdog caused irreparable damage, this ultimately would lead me to believe the wolfdog is bored out of its mind, which is unhealthy - mentally - for any animal. With the content this breeder is selling, a raw diet shouldn't be necessary. I'm in the understanding you have your heart set on a wolfdog, however, please think of the animal if you intend to own one. A kong isn't going to keep a wolfdog at bay. Getting a sandbox and sticking hotdogs deep in the sand is only one of many ways to keep a wolfdog stimulated. You have to be creative, a walk will not suffice. Ask more than one wolfdog breeder how to keep a wolfdog content. After looking at the site, if the breeder cannot spell german shepherd, I would be a little concerned about her knowledge of the breed and the various needs of different breeds. The combination of a wolfdog and a german shepherd has not proven to be the best combination with most incidents I have heard from various wolfdog breeders. Please do thorough research before seriously considering the animal. It will be expensive. Most wolfdog breeders sell their puppies for upwards of $3000. Add in vaccinations from the first year (based on your local vet prices), food, various stimuli, collar, leash, microchipping, potential health problems that may occur, toys, upgrade in fencing, containment, and repairs the wolfdog may cause to your house..it's not going to be cheap.
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:14 pm

Oh don't worry about being on here to write to me if you aren't feeling well. I have other resources, and it will still be another year for me until I can actually get to the point of purchasing a dog.

Thank you for sharing your thorough knowledge though. The breeder wants to speak to me in person before considering selling to me, so I figured that was a good sign. However, to be honest the main reason I chose them was their proximity to me, I might not have considered a wolf dog at all if it weren't for this breeder being nearby.

Though you are absolutely right in everything you've written, and I should be judgmental of this person, only given that there isn't anything that can be assumed about them and their work until I can see it for myself.

The initial reason I set my heart on this type of dog over another was mostly for the looks. I chose a wolf over a husky, lab or another dalmatian only because I want to take care for something unique. The interactiveness was the second most valuable characteristic, I'd like an animal that will keep me on my toes, that will provide 'surprises' in various forms.

While it is true that destruction is usually an unavoidable detriment, I feel I'm mentally prepared enough to handle it. Our dalmatian that we had did more than enough to lower the value of our property as it is. I'm talking about 'removing' any curtains, cords, furniture and pillows that we would have otherwise kept in our basement. Not to mention the backyard which didn't have any flora larger than the dandelions while he was still alive. :roll: When/if I get this dog there won't be anything in the basement for him to get into, there will be dog dishes, a dog bed - which would need regular replacing of course as with the dal, and of course many toys and chewables which would also need regular replacing. That would be it, the basement would be his, there's even a drain in the middle of the room so it's easy to keep clean. He would be outdoors for the majority of the time anyways, it would be easier to do that with a heavy pelted wolfdog than it was for our dalmatian. He couldn't handle winter weather at all. Also he would be supervised constantly of course, and played with plenty enough. I'm very interested in hearing more about creative stimulants, what else can I hide in various places around a backyard to keep rambunctious wolf entertained? :lol:

I'm prepared to cover all medical expenses and other costs after purchase. That's why I want to wait, I won't know whether this dog will require surgery or medication until after I've had him for a while. I was skeptical about the raw meat thing because I wasn't sure if it was entirely necessary. I can afford it if I need to, I just thought it was a large expense for something that initially seemed like a daily treat.

Things like replacing chewed up doors have taken place once already. If it happens again I already know how to avoid it or deal with it when it does happen. The basement doors already have metal bottoms and chicken wire after the last dogzilla tore through them.

The microchiping, shots and other vet stuff I've already accepted as a given fact. We have a family vet we've known for years. Our dalmatian required expensive allergy medication monthly for most of his lifetime from being poorly bred. I can definitely afford things like that.

If after talking to the breeder and if by next spring I've found I haven't saved up enough, I'll simply wait and work for another year. I have time, and while in my mind I've committed to buying a wolfdog, I won't physically do so until all the preliminary work is done with.

I'll be speaking with breeder in person hopefully some time this summer or fall, I'm just waiting for them to email me back with a general date. By then I'll have a better idea how much I'll be spending throughout the animal's life and what specific care is required.
cl0ud77

Postby cl0ud77 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:46 pm

Just curious, are you going with Mystic Creek Ranch?
As for stimulation they get bored of things and you will have to give it new toys(bought made or found), or new things to do every so often. I used to put food in boxes and tape them up, I sometimes buy stuff like stuffed animals at the second hand store, and she loved the wooden spool i found while walking her. it kept her busy for awhile until she got it in pieces. They also need another canine to play with. It doesn't have to be another wolfdog, a dog would be fine. My girls buddy is a husky/chow mix. Also I would avoid calling the animal a wolf if its a wolfdog, it keeps it safer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8IGKKdtovk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei1WBAyv ... re=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w5Jx9x3 ... re=channel

Oh and you don't need to feed raw only, I feed her a good dog food. Has over 30% protein and over 20% fat content. (Don't go lower than 20% fat content), and she gets a piece of raw chicken almost every day. I buy chicken they mark down at the grocery store due to use by date or sale and freeze it after separating it into daily portions in plastic bags. I give 3 or more cups of dog food a day, just however much keeps her weight healthy.
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:58 pm

I was thinking of going with 'Sun Valley Kennels,' Quebec is pretty far, I'd have to pay for delivery.

I was planning on owning only one dog, however practically everybody here owns a dog. So he'll have plenty of neighbours to socialize with on walks and in the park. I'm hoping to get him pretty young so he can be socialized with other dogs.

If I can get away with simply a good quality dog food, that would be wonderful. Unprocessed meat is expensive where I live.
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm just waiting for the breeder to email me back again now. I'm so excited I could kill something!

I'll be meeting with them in Kelowna some time this summer if all goes according.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:02 am

Heya,

umm...some bad news

I was browsing some wolfdog breeders and sites and found some lists of bad breeders. Sun Valley Kennels is on two of the lists. Here they are;

http://virginiawolves.webs.com/

http://texx-wolf-tails.webs.com/wolfdogbreeders.htm

In that second list, they reccomend http://www.noblepawz.com/
as being a good breeder in Canada
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:41 am

Hm, that's too bad. . . but not terribly surprising. :? I had some suspicion after the breeder was so defencive about providing me any information via email. Even whether or not I would need a permit to own one of their animals.

I'm looking at noble paws right now. This guy sounds very professional.
I just can't seem to find an address, where is he based?
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:59 pm

When I looked at the site, I couldn't find an address either, I think you have to email/talk to him on the phone first.
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:07 pm

I might do that. Though now it looks like I may be buying a cat instead.

I'd much rather have a big dog. We'll see. :roll:
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:17 am

The main reason I began pursuing owning a wolfdog was because I found a breeder in my own region. Now that it looks like this breeder isn't trustworthy, I'm not sure I'll be speaking to another anytime soon. A pet like this costs enough money, let alone shipping and handling charges. :?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:33 pm

www.noblepawz.com has a pup right now as the buyer backed out.
FOXman

Postby FOXman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Wow!! They really look like wolves... Some other sites, their wolfdogs don't even look like wolves, but like a regular dog. What kind of dog do they use to breed??
When I see my future foxie for the first time, I'll know that it was worth the wait.
renwaldo

Postby renwaldo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:13 pm

HyzenthlayForesight wrote:www.noblepawz.com has a pup right now as the buyer backed out.
Where is noble paws though :?: I had my heart set on 'Sun Valley' because of its proximity to me, if it turns out I'll have to go through more import/export bs with the government, I'd rather save my money and do without the exotic pet for now.

At least until I have tens of thousands of dollars, and can afford to move to somewhere like Ohio or Florida.

I'd love nothing more in the world than to have a pet fox or wolf or siamese cat, but there simply isn't money for something like that. On top of the exorbitant college and university fees and price of gas or public transit, I still need to save up to find somewhere to live while I finalize what I want to do with my life. X( Then perhaps I can consider getting something like a rare exotic pet.

This is a wonderful board and community, I've collected a lot of information since joining here. However I need to be realistic. There's no way in hell my parents will allow me a pet while I'm still living in their tiny house, and there's no way I'll be able to afford independence for at least another ten years or so. Until I have enough money saved or a better job appears.

Return to “Wolves”