PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Is it possible to have a Wolf as a pet?

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Wolf67

Is it possible to have a Wolf as a pet?

Postby Wolf67 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:59 am

I hear many people owning WolfDogs which are Dogs mixed with Wolves. But I never heard of anyone owning a pure blooded wolf, I'm just curious if its even possible to own one anywhere in America? I'm fascinated by wolves and it would be a dream come true to own one for me. But I highly doubt it will ever happen.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to have a Wolf as a pet?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:03 am

There are some places it is legal but it is vary hard to find any pure wolves to buy.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:59 am

Yes there are a few states that are legal. One being Oklohoma.
There are also breeders of pure wolves out there if you know where to look.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Just curious. Why do you want a pure wolf, over a high content wolf hybrid?
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:09 pm

A well bred true high content, there should not be any differences in looks or actions. Only professionals who have been around these types of animals will be able to see the slightest differences. But where as some states consider pures illegal, some of those states will allow any content of wolfdog. But neither are a simple animal to own, you will need special enclosure, proper feeding a high content wolfdog like a pure wolf can not just be thrown just generic dog food and expect it to survive on it. Etc. etc.
Wolf67

Postby Wolf67 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Cindy23323 wrote:A well bred true high content, there should not be any differences in looks or actions. Only professionals who have been around these types of animals will be able to see the slightest differences. But where as some states consider pures illegal, some of those states will allow any content of wolfdog. But neither are a simple animal to own, you will need special enclosure, proper feeding a high content wolfdog like a pure wolf can not just be thrown just generic dog food and expect it to survive on it. Etc. etc.
How are low content Wolfdogs? I heard many low contents are mostly okay indoors and they can sometimes pass as a Alaskan Malamute or a Siberian Husky.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Why do you want a hybrid if you want it to 'pass' as a malamute or husky? Why not get a malamute or husky if you want it to look like one?
Wolf67

Postby Wolf67 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:02 pm

sarajeku wrote:Why do you want a hybrid if you want it to 'pass' as a malamute or husky? Why not get a malamute or husky if you want it to look like one?
I don't I'm just curious if thats how low contents act like a typical northern breed Dog with little Wolf behavior? I'll probably just get a Husky anyways cause there easier to own and they are cool looking Dogs with the blue eyes they have.
Wolf67

Postby Wolf67 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:05 pm

Except when Huskies are destructive and I hear they shed ALOT. lol.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Wolf hybrids, as well as northern breeds, are all destructive. They need a firm hand to train them, and they also shed a lot. Especially when they are mixed with malamute or husky.
Amy09

Postby Amy09 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:06 pm

One thing you've got to remember is that dogs like huskies and malamutes are working breeds. They're meant to have a job and work hard. While they can be very well behaved if they receive the right training from an experienced owner, they usually need something to do. They're only destructive when they're bored which can happen EASILY.

The reason huskies, malamutes, rotties, and similar breeds are passed off as destructive and aggressive (and therefore discriminated against) is because they either got bored because they weren't given the training and stimulation they needed, or they didn't receive the kind of training and structure that they need. This usually happens because people just want to get a cool looking or pretty dog, and aren't prepared for how strong willed and stubborn these breeds are.
Mommy to two dogs and three cats
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:26 pm

I want a pure wolf too, and am very willing to move to a legal state if I have to.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:00 pm

If you think a husky or malamute is hard to take care of, you probably shouldn't get a wolfdog(especially not high content) or pure wolf. These are not animals to get just because they "look cool" like you stated for your reasoning of wanting a husky.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “Wolves”