please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Interesting Nat Geo Article About Ethiopian Wolves

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Interesting Nat Geo Article About Ethiopian Wolves

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:23 pm

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/ ... n-wolf.htm

I wonder why there are none in zoos?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
luccistar
Banned
Banned

Re: Interesting Nat Geo Article About Ethiopian Wolves

Postby luccistar » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:29 pm

caninesrock wrote:http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/aussie-experts-helping-to-save-ethiopian-wolf.htm

It's also called the Simiens wolf or Abyssinian wolf.
On my trip to Africa, Ethiopia in 2006, I saw one of those at Bale mountains. Truly amazing, beautiful creatures.
They were hunted by the local populations because they tend to kill domestic chickens and goats.

There are none in zoos because the Ethiopian government doesn't want them to be exported, since it's their pride (patrimonial specie) but that's kind of stupid, the fact they say that those wolves are their pride, but they still kill them...
Anyways, a breeding program tried to breed them in Ethiopia, but unfortunatly failed, since those wolves are so stressed in captivity, they wouldn't reproduce.
Anda aka Luccistar
caninesrock

Re: Interesting Nat Geo Article About Ethiopian Wolves

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:11 pm

luccistar wrote:
caninesrock wrote:http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/aussie-experts-helping-to-save-ethiopian-wolf.htm

It's also called the Simiens wolf or Abyssinian wolf.
On my trip to Africa, Ethiopia in 2006, I saw one of those at Bale mountains. Truly amazing, beautiful creatures.
They were hunted by the local populations because they tend to kill domestic chickens and goats.

There are none in zoos because the Ethiopian government doesn't want them to be exported, since it's their pride (patrimonial specie) but that's kind of stupid, the fact they say that those wolves are their pride, but they still kill them...
Anyways, a breeding program tried to breed them in Ethiopia, but unfortunatly failed, since those wolves are so stressed in captivity, they wouldn't reproduce.

I knew about the names. They are also sometimes called the Simien Jackal or Abyssinian Jackal as scientist can't really decide if they are a true wolf or more closely related to a jackal. You're so lucky to have gotten to see them. I've never been out of my home country before. Well,that sucks. If the animals are so endangered, the government should allow them to be exported for breeding and reintroduction programs in AZA zoos and stuff atleast. It's better than their pride of a species going extinct which they are if they don't get any in captivity and breeding soon. I wonder what kind of standards Ethiopian Zoos have though. Maybe they would fair better in an America zoo with strict AZA standards? Yeah. They should atleast give them more legal protection than just not allowing them to be exported.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “Wolves”