PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

What is this? Wolf? Wolfdog?

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

What is this? Wolf? Wolfdog?

Postby caninesrock » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:30 pm

It's labeled as a russian wolf,but it doesn't look like any of the russian wolf subspecies I googled. Other than the blue eyes, the picture looks like a pure wolf to me. Assuming the eyes are photoshopped to be blue instead of actually blue,do you guys see any other less obvious traits that indicate that it's a hybrid rather than a pure? The tan color does occur in some subspecies of wolf so as far as the goldness, they may have just photoshopped a plain tan wolf to look golden or perhaps there really are wolves out there that are this beautiful golden color?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: What is this? Wolf? Wolfdog?

Postby sarajeku » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm on my phone so the picture looks very small to me, but from what I can tell, it looks mixed with husky. The muzzle looks too short, stop is too pronounced. Definitely wolfdog.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Ok. Thank you. I wish I knew where the picture originally came from so I could find a breeder that breeds them to look like that with the pretty golden color as well as the very wolfish appearance.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

kermisracer

Postby kermisracer » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Looks like a regular dog to me - nothing about it suggests wolf.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:07 pm

If you simply check the image location, it says it came from this blog: http://sibar.wordpress.com/

The person seems to just post pictures and then add a random phrase about the photo they post. They don't give credit to the photographer either.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:55 am

I'd say its a wolfdog. It does have the v cape and the precaudal gland.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:56 pm

It also had blue eyes. From what I understand, all wolves have yellow eyes, unless I'm mistaken.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:05 pm

What's the precaudal gland?
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Alynn wrote:It also had blue eyes. From what I understand, all wolves have yellow eyes, unless I'm mistaken.

No, you're right, but caninesrock was saying it's possible that it was photoshopped, so she was wondering if there were any other signs to determine if it were a wolf or wolf dog or what.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:44 pm

There has been some known rare things to happen in the lines that normally isnt talked about much because the next thing you know everyone with a low content will be swearing they're blue eyed animal is a pure or high content but here's some pics of some of the animals that picked this up that is not the norm.

This first animal is at wolf park

This next one is at mission wolf, his eyes are so pale blue that they appear silver in person

Next two are high content wolfdogs located at two different breeders, the first one is the mother of the second one
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:50 pm

vln_girl wrote:What's the precaudal gland?

Its the dark mark up closer to the base of the tail. Its basically a scent gland. A few dog breeds still have this mark but it is a non working gland. Unlike wolves and wolfdogs

Here it is on loki
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:20 pm

I knew about the V cape, but I'd never heard of the precaudal gland either. I learn something new every day here! icon_biggin.gif
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:13 pm

They also have scent glands between they're toes, behind they're ears and on they're cheeks
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:49 pm

@Kremisracer: It definitely looks extremely wolfish, more so than an ordinary husky, malamute, Laika, or other northern breed. For one thing it has the grizzled fur to some extent and for another the head is big and bulky and some other stuff that I just can't place or explain,but about the head and face that look very pure wolf or extremely high-content wolfdogish to me. Other than the colors, I would have thought it was a pure wolf.

@Juska:I know. That's where I got the image from. I meant that I wish I knew what site the person who posted it on to that blog got the photo from. I tried googling "high content wolfdog", wolfdog", "wolf dog", and "golden wolf",but none worked. The only one that worked was Russian wolf and the only result for that image that came up was the blog you posted and some freewebs wolf site that really was rather sloppy and didn't have very good facts about wolves. It had the same "Russian wolves" text on it, so I think the person that made the freewebs site just took the image from that blog and stuck it on their site.

@Cindy:What breed do think it's crossed with? Is it a high content?

@Alyyn: They do,but I was asking if it could be a pure wolf if the eyes had been photoshopped to be blue.

@Cindy: Are the ones at Wolf Park and Mission Wolf high content or pures? Also, interesting on the v-cape and tail gland. I didn't know about that.

Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:31 pm

The one at wolf park is supposed to be a pure. The one located at mission wolf is a high content wolfdog.

The red animal its hard to say without seeing more pics of him. At best I'd guess he's either a lower high content or even possibly a mid F1. I've seen some decent F1's that were straight up dog to wolf breedings.

Return to “Wolves”