PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

What is this? Wolf? Wolfdog?

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Re: What is this? Wolf? Wolfdog?

Postby caninesrock » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Someone on another forum said they think it's probably a high content wolfdog with husky in it since it has the reddish color.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:00 pm

I found out what it is. It's a purebred Caspian Seawolf(Canis lupus cubanensis). They are apparently gold in color with light colored eyes unlike the north american subspecies.
There's a picture of one's head in my book Kinship with the Wolf by Tanja Askani on Pg. 54.

Here are some pictures of them online as well:
http://passionelotto.forumcommunity.net/?t=44246442

Scroll down to see one with blue eyes under Canis lupus cubanensis:
http://linwolf.gportal.hu/gindex.php?pg=32310245

Also here:
Image http://rpguide.soulsrpg.com/species/wol ... cubanensis
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Moonfall

Postby Moonfall » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:52 am

What a beautiful wolf. <3
Talys

Postby Talys » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:24 am

Thank you very much for posting that beauty~it very much made my day!
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
Ciaobella

Postby Ciaobella » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Cindy23323 wrote:There has been some known rare things to happen in the lines that normally isnt talked about much because the next thing you know everyone with a low content will be swearing they're blue eyed animal is a pure or high content but here's some pics of some of the animals that picked this up that is not the norm.

This first animal is at wolf park

This next one is at mission wolf, his eyes are so pale blue that they appear silver in person

Next two are high content wolfdogs located at two different breeders, the first one is the mother of the second one

Can I ask the breeders of the last two? They are beautiful!
Was Cierpke, lost password xD
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:09 pm

Barry H. of Wolf zone 1 who used to breed nice animals but is in prison right now, his girl friend took over and is now breeding his animals to her gsd's. So I wouldnt recomend them until he's back to doing the breeding himself in a couple years.
Kanahi

Postby Kanahi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Pity i didn't get here in time to mention the Caspian wolf. Yep a beautiful creature, just be weary thoguh there's an awful lot of photoshop running around! :)
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 pm

I met Ruedi at Wolf Park this weekend. He was part of my wolf encounter. His eyes are that beautiful blue color in person too. :mrgreen:
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:05 pm

In the pictures Cindy posted, the animals from Wolf Park and Mission Wolf are wolves or hc wolfdogs?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:48 am

I believe the one at wolf park is a wolf. At least that's what they told me when I was there.
I don't know about mission wolf.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:53 pm

Kanahi wrote:Pity i didn't get here in time to mention the Caspian wolf. Yep a beautiful creature, just be weary thoguh there's an awful lot of photoshop running around! :)

So is the first picture photoshopped then or is it actually an actual Caspian Sea Wolf?

Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:45 am

The animal in the first picture is not a wolf. But I heard many people call it ''Russian wolf'' and state they're breeding wolfdogs from a Russian wolf parent... haha. Never heard of that specie before.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:28 am

Nothing I read about the Caspian Sea Wolf (Steppe Wolf) mentioned light eyes. They're also critically endangered so I seriously doubt anyone is crossing them with dogs and selling them. The dead giveaway that those aren't Steppe Wolves is that they're described as small, very thinly furred and have very poorly furred tails. Neither of those first two look that way. And those two are red, which isn't their normal color. They're supposed to be "rusty-gray" or brown colored.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:07 am

Juska wrote:Nothing I read about the Caspian Sea Wolf (Steppe Wolf) mentioned light eyes. They're also critically endangered so I seriously doubt anyone is crossing them with dogs and selling them. The dead giveaway that those aren't Steppe Wolves is that they're described as small, very thinly furred and have very poorly furred tails. Neither of those first two look that way. And those two are red, which isn't their normal color. They're supposed to be "rusty-gray" or brown colored.

Steppe wolves and Caspian Sea Wolves are two different subspecies,although people often lump them together. Just like there's been lumping in North American wolves,there has been some lumping in European wolves. Subspecies lumped together don't always look identical. For example, the Hudson Bay Wolf is lumped together with the Great Plains Wolf now,but it is, if not always, almost always white and is more simliar in appearance to an arctic wolf which are also always white than it is to a Great Plains Wolf which are usually gray although they can be black,white, and other colors as well,but they are not exclusively white like Arctic and Hudson Bay Wolves. Also, Vancouver Island Wolves, a subspecies lumped together under Great Plains Wolves as well, look much more similiar to Red or Eastern Wolves than they do to any other subspecies of Gray Wolf. The Steppe Wolves(Canis lupus campestris) themselves are similiar in appearance to Southern clade wolves such as Arabian Wolves and Indian Wolves. All these Southern Clade wolves have thin fur usually tannish in color, thin tail as a result of thin fur coat, usually big ears, all are small,around only the size of dog, and are generally more jackal or dog-like in appearance than other wolves. Arabian and Indian Wolves rarely howl and even make short,sharp barks like dogs. I'm not sure on Steppe Wolves though. Caspian Sea Wolf(Canis lupus cubanensis) on the other hand, are northern clade wolves. They are heavily fur as they live in the coldness of Russia. They also howl like northern clade wolves.

http://www.wolfsongalaska.org/Europe_taxonomy
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/wow/regions/Asia/

I trust the first two sources listed above and they list Caspian Sea Wolf as a different subspecies from the Steppe Wolf. The following 3 sources I'm not sure about as though don't really list references and don't seem to be science sites.

http://www.wolfcountry.net/information/ ... uasia.html
http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blog ... listtype=0
And from here(This site also mentions barking of Southern clade wolves):
http://wolfsubspecies.blogspot.com/2011 ... chive.html
[/quote]The Caspian Sea Wolf (Canis lupus cubanensis), also known as the Caucasian Wolf, is a critically endangered subspecies of the Gray Wolf once found throughout the area between the Caspian and Black seas. Now an extremely rare animal, it exists only in a remote area in the extreme southeastern portion of Russia that borders the Caspian Sea. Also known as the Caucasian Wolf, it has been hunted as a nuisance sometimes killing livestock. The government had a bounty system for killing predators, which was abolished in 1993. Also the Caspian Sea has been polluted by Russian waste water, which has had an impact on wolves and other wild animals in and around that area. It's a smaller wolf with reddish brown fur and some white around the snout.[/quote]

The Caspian Sea Wolf was recognized as its own subspecies from the Steppe Wolf by wolf expert and taxonomist, Ron Nowak. Unfortunately, while he gave us new subspecies of wolf like the Caspian Sea Wolf, he is also the same guy that decided that North America only has 5 subspecies instead of 20-something and as a result many subspecies or former subspecies rather are threatened with little hope of conversation because the subspecies they've been lumped with isn't endangered. For example,there are only about 150 Vancouver Island Wolves left so as their own subspecies they'd be considered critically endangered. However,they've been lumped with Great Plains wolves of which there are atleast 20,000 or more of if including the population in Canada as well as the US, so would be least concern.

Also, no one said anything about them being crossed with dogs. :shrug:

Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:26 am

Russian wolves apparently can look quite "interesting"

This a wild female wolf that wandered into Sweden from Russia.

She kind of reminds me of the first wolf posted, because of the orange color.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.

Return to “Wolves”