Cost of a Wolf?

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cost of a Wolf?

Postby Ash » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:44 pm

I know that high content wolfdogs are a decent price--like around $1500--but what about wolves?

I've seen some ads for pures in the Animal Finders' Guide, and they were selling their wolves for $400. Is that a typical price?

Then again, you can find lion and tiger cubs that cheap too. They're cheap because there's no market for them; is that how it is with pures?

Exotics that are generally more convenient--either legally or care-wise--are typically a lot more expensive. High content savannahs are generally MUCH more expensive than servals.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Cost of a Wolf?

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:25 pm

I've seen older animals priced at that, but not pups. Cheapest I've come acrossed the pups in the last few years were $800.
You positive they were real pures and not someone with low content wolfdogs that were claiming them to be pures? I've seen this happen alot.

For ex. this person has an ad for wolf puppies, obvious by the pics they're no where near that
http://www.hoobly.com/0/0/1831094.html

same with this one
http://www.domesticsale.com/classifieds/a263989.html
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Thank-you.

The ad was for two intact adult females.

So what is the price range for pure puppies?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:45 pm

5 years ago I know some sold for $800, but from what I understand that was pretty cheap for even then. They're going for about the same as the hc wolfdogs now anywhere from $1,000 to $3,500 the higher range would be for pure arctics.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Which wolf subspecies is the most expensive, do you know?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:06 pm

The arctics seem to be selling for the highest
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Oh that's good, cus I don't want Arctics. ^_^ I've always loved Alaskan wolves the best, because I grew up with White Fang and Julie's Wolf Pack. lol!
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:00 pm

I think Mace Loftus has the prettiest white & black HCs I've seen. I prefer the gray color, but his white ones are gorgeous. icon_biggin.gif
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:35 pm

I agree
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:36 am

Mace's animals are really pretty. They look huge as well.

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:50 pm

Cindy, in addition to the wolf pup's original cost, how much would you say it cost yearly to have a pure wolf or high content, for things like vet bills, special diet,etc.?

Also,how much does it cost for one time costs like building the enclosure, buying toys and enrichment that are tough enough that the wolf's teeth wouldn't break them,etc.?

About how much do licenses/permits cost? They're a yearly thing. Right? Not one time?

Also, is there anything else I'm forgetting?

Oh, also, can you tell me how much it is for two animals since I'd have to get atleast two since wolves are extremely social animals?

Thank you.

I'm obviously not going to get a wolf or wolfdog anytime soon as I currently live in an apartment with my mom and am unemployed looking for work as well as live in a state that only allows wolfdogs,not pures, and don't know if I plan on staying in this state or not,but I'd like to know for future reference when I get a wolf or HC wolfdog in the very distant future when I have the resources to actually care for the animal properly including an actual house with a large yard that I can build an enclosure in, a steady job that gives me the money I need to care for the animal, all my legal stuff in order for whatever state I end up living in,etc.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Ok let me see if i can remember all of this right.

I spent roughly around $1,800 for the enclosure I built for Loki and Selene. Thats the price of all cattle pannels. 4x4's for posts, 2x4's for gates. A hot box and all the wire. Concrete. Hog rings.

The log cabin i built for them was probably around $200.

I spend probably around $125 a month on food.

Vet bills can be different. If something happened in a emergency I'd have to go to the vet thats only a mile from me. The one's here can be quite expensive. But if its a non emergency visit that I can make a appointment, I'll cross over the North Carolina line and go to the Moyock vet which is a lot cheaper and about 30 mins from me.
Usually I dont have to spend a lot on yearly vet visits. Just the normal check up fee's and if i have to get any shots.

Now buying doggie toys for them is a waste of money because none are going to last. Most of the tough toys dont last either. I did find a tough Jolly ball that I paid 20 some odd bucks for and I've had it around 3 years now and they havent been able to kill it. Also dont waste money on kiddie pools they dont last either. You would need to invest in a stock tank. I purchased a 150 gallon rubber maid stock tank for around $100. They do make a lot bigger ones, and you can also find them in metal too.

Here's an old post i did with some pics of the things I've done for them. The high rise dog house though I dont have anymore
http://www.wolfdogforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=57

You should also look out for different things, for ex. I had a friend who found a old mcdonald play land that I ended up making into a tunnel for them that they love
http://www.wolfdogforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=212

Sorry no clue about costs of permits/liscences though.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Ok. Thanks Cindy. So, I added it all up and I can basically expect to pay almost $3000 for their care when I first bring them home plus an additional $125 every month for food in addition to permit/license costs and the cost of the animals.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:49 pm

Wow, Cindy! I can't believe your enclosure was that cheap. I've heard cattle panels are cheaper than chainlink but I didn't know they were by that much. I spent a little under $1000 for my fox's enclosure (his was chainlink). Where did you get your cattle panels from?
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:52 pm

They came from a feed/tractor typle supply store. Called Southern States. I forgot to mention that the price I gave even included having the pannels delived to me, beings I didnt own anything that i could transport 16ft. long pannels in.

Return to “Wolves”