ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Jobs working with Wolves

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

Jobs working with Wolves

Postby Laughing Hyena » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:45 pm

Hello all I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any jobs where you get to work with Wolves? I'm currently unemployed and desperately looking for work I don't have that much work experience and I'm trying my best to find a job I would enjoy and have fun doing and I would like to get a job working with Wolves. I'm even willing to do volunteer work with them to gain experience and get my foot in the door to help me get an eventual paying job. I live in northern Illinois about 30 minutes from the Wisconsin Border are there any nearby Wolf sanctuaries or maybe even zoos where I can apply or send a resume to? Thanks I greatly appreciate all help. :)
egroegart

Re: Jobs working with Wolves

Postby egroegart » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:01 pm

I'm sure there are zoos in Illinois you would just have to do some searching. Most likely a sanctuary would be your best bet if there are any near. Even with that said the two wolf sanctuaries in our area do not let any of the volunteers go in the enclosures with the wolves. So getting hands on with a wolf may not be an option. I don't know though. And every person is a volunteer. There are no paid positions.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:21 pm

How old are you? You can't go in with animals unless you are atleast 18 years of age. That's the policy of most sanctuaries I know where you can go in with them. For most zoos, they will not hire you unless you have some kind of experience and/or a college degree. Also, zoos don't usually allow direct contact with their large carnivores. Regardless, even if you can find a zoo or sanctuary that let's you go in with the wolves, they are not going to let you go in right away. You have to work there for awhile so they know they can trust you and you won't do anything stupid that would compromise your safety or the safety of the wolvles or other humans.Even places like Wolf Park that allow Wolf Encounters make everyone go through a safety training course and charge quite a bit of money for the encounters. Also, working with animals is not just about the animals. It's not going to be fun and playing with them all day even if you are lucky enough to find a place that allows direct contact with them. You'll have to clean up poop, maybe even do ground maintance that has nothing to do with the animals like pull weeds or fix buildings to make the sanctuary/zoo look nice depending on how small the staff is. You will have to scrub clean the exhibits, the water and food dishes, make(and repair broken) enrichment items for the animals, possibly examine poop to make sure it has no worms or parasites in it, and a whole bunch of other hard and/or unpleasant things. When it comes to working a job in animal care, very little time is actually spent getting to play with the animals in most cases.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 pm

This is the only place I know of in Illinois: http://www.bigrunwolfranch.org/contact.html

It's probably a ways away from you, but I thought you still might be interested. When I get back to Illinois I think I'll at least go there to check it out.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Wolves”