PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Mackenzie Valley Wolf

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Splashstorm

Mackenzie Valley Wolf

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:52 am

Does anyone know where I can get a Mackenzie Valley/Alaskan/Rocky Mountains/Canadian Timber wolf? I've searched ALL over the internet and can't anything on them. They are not endangered, by the way.

Thanks.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Mackenzie Valley Wolf

Postby sarajeku » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:29 pm

Why do you want a MacKenzie Valley wolf? Why not a high content wolfdog?
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:18 pm

My favorite animal has been a Mackenzie Valley wolf for nearly half my life. I can't feel truly complete knowing I never had a pure.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:34 pm

Research your state laws before purchasing. Most states do not allow pure wolves as pets, no matter what subspecies it is, but they often do allow wolfdogs of any content. I do know of a few breeders of large high content wolfdogs. But if you're looking for a pure wolf, I don't know of any breeders that will sell to the public as pets. Even one of the HC wolfdog breeders prefer selling them as educational animals.
A high quality HC looks identical to a pure wolf, except for some minor differences only noticed by a well trained eye. This, for example, is a good quality high content wolfdog.

Have you researched how to keep a wolf or HC? Do you understand that you cannot keep a wolf indoors? Wolves and HC wolfdogs need special enclosures. They can easily clear a 6 foot fence (one that I work with can jump straight up and nearly clear his 8 foot fence). They can also easily dig out of their enclosures, so they would need a concrete skirt or dig-out wire. Their diet also needs to be high protein and meat based. They cannot digest regular dog foods.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:50 pm

Yep i know a great deal about these animals though of course I'm no expert. I was thinking of perhaps getting a Mackenzie from a preserve or something. The problem is tht i haven't found a preserve that has any mackenzies i know of. I'm still pretty young and have not had the opportunity to interact with wolves or wolfdogs but in a few years I'm going to CA to train exotic animals. They have wolves there so I'm sure ill learn much more than i already know now.

ImageImage
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:06 am

I think that is a good plan. It is always good to work with the animals for some time. Spend time with them, get to know their behaviors, feeding and everything you can learn about them before ever purchasing. You can also volunteer at a local sanctuary to get some experience. At our local sanctuary most of the animals were bought by people with no experience with the animals they purchased, found that they could not care for them either because of their behaviors, diet, or couldn't spend the time needed for all of their needs. Spend this time researching, trying to volunteer, and just getting to know as much as you can. Good luck with everything.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:26 am

Thank you! :) i def will not be a part of those irresponsible owners that give our hobby/lifestyles a bad rap.

ImageImage
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:22 pm

I know of a preserve that has a pure british columbian pair that they are breeding and a pair of pure arctics also that they breed too, but dont know of anyone with a pair of Mackenzie valleys though.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:13 pm

How come on this site it says BC wolves went extinct? It isn't the only place that states as such... :shock:

And because of the reclassification of Mackenzie valley wolves, these all count:
Canis occidentalis: The Alaskan and western Canadian species: alces, columbianus, griseoalbus, mackenzii, occidentalis, pambasileus and tundrarum.

ImageImage
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:49 pm

More specifically (because a lot of the wolf "species" were bunched together to form just the occidentalis), I am looking for the former Canis lupus pambasileus, which goes by the names of the Alaskan, Interior Alaskan or Yukon wolf.

ImageImage
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:50 pm

Cindy23323 wrote:Guess you'd have to ask the preserve that

I contacted them.

ImageImage
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Hopefully the contact you back, the owner is Cynthia Watkins. My male Loki has alot of his family line there.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Sites say they went extinct because they were reclassified into the Mckenzie Valley Wolf subspecies after scientists decided that they didn't have enough unique differences to seperate them apart from the other subspecies, same with all the others you listed above. They're not actually extinct. They just aren't considered their own subspecies anymore by most scientists.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:47 pm

That could be the reason, seeing as I never got a reply back from them. This is the full list of the subspecies, updated since scientists went and reclassified a bunch of them:

Five In North America:
1) Canis lupus occidentalis Mackenzie Valley/Rocky Mountain/Alaskan Wolf Second largest in the world.
2) Canis lupus arctos Arctic Wolf
3) Canis lupus baileyi Mexican Gray
4) Canis lupus nubilus Great Plains/Buffalo Wolf
5) Canis lupus rufus Common Red Wolf (now classified a gray wolf after mitochondrial DNA was evaluated).

Seven in the East
1) Arabian Wolf Canis lupus arabs
2) Common Gray/European/Eurasian Wolf Canis lupus lupus
3) Iberian Wolf Canis lupus signatus
4) Italian/Apennine Wolf Canis lupus italicus
5) Steppe/Caucasian/Caspian Sea Wolf Canis lupus campestris
6) Tibetan Wolf Canis lupus chanco
7) Tundra Wolf Canis lupus albus LARGEST WOLF IN THE WORLD.

Three Others in the World
1) Egyptian Jackal/African Wolf (Gray wolf) Canis aureus lupaster
Found to be a gray wolf after Mitochondria DNA was evaluated.

2) Dingo Wolf (Gray Wolf) Canis lupus dingo

3) Domestic Wolf/Domestic Dog Canis lupus familiaris

ImageImage

Return to “Wolves”