PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Wolf Subspecies

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Splashstorm

Wolf Subspecies

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:06 am

In the past, there were many different gray wolf subspecies, but lately scientists have begun reclassifying them, and so we end up with fewer than were originally thought to exist, and maybe a few new ones...

Only Five Types in North America
1)Canis lupus arctos; Arctic Wolf

2)Canis lupus baileyi; Mexican Gray

3)Canis lupus nubilus; Great Plains/Buffalo Wolf

4)Canis lupus occidentalis; Mackenzie Valley/Rocky Mountain/Alaskan Wolf

5) Canis lupus rufus; Common Red Wolf

Seven Types in the East
1) Arabian Wolf; Canis lupus arabs

2) Common Gray/Eurasian Wolf; Canis lupus lupus

3) Iberian Wolf; Canis lupus signatus

4) Italian/Apennine Wolf; Canis lupus italicus

5) Steppe/Caucasian/Caspian Sea Wolf; Canis lupus campestris

6) Tibetan Wolf; Canis lupus chanco

7) Tundra Wolf; Canis lupus albus

Three Other Types Of Gray Wolf in the World
1) Egyptian Jackal/African Wolf; Canis aureus lupaster

2) Dingo; Canis lupus dingo

3) Domestic Dog; Canis lupus familiaris
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wolf Subspecies

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:05 pm

Why do you count jackal as a wolf?
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:21 pm

I'm also curious as to why you included the jackal as a wolf.

Just because another common name for the egyptian jackal is the african wolf doesn't mean that it is a wolf. From what I've read, most jackal species have 74 chromosomes, while wolves, coyotes, and dogs have 78 chromosomes.
Also indicative that it isn't a wolf species is that its species is Canis aureus rather than Canis lupus while every other subspecies you listed is a member of the species Canis lupus.
Do you mind posting the research that indicates why its a wolf? I'd like to read it. icon-smile
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Coyotes are also referred to as American Jackal.

"The wolf, dingo, dog, coyote, and golden jackal diverged relatively recently, around three to four million years ago, and all have 78 chromosomes arranged in 39 pairs." But the other jackals do have 74

If included on the grounds of chromosomes then coyote would be a wolf too but since neither is canis lupis they normally would not be called gray wolves.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:15 pm

"The wolf, dingo, dog, coyote, and golden jackal diverged relatively recently, around three to four million years ago, and all have 78 chromosomes arranged in 39 pairs." But the other jackals do have 74

That's why I said "most jackals" rather than all jackals. The black-backed and side striped are the ones with 74, I believe. Those are the two species I'm interested in. Mostly because they kind of resemble coyotes and I love coyotes. :mrgreen:

I know a couple of professors that argue that coyotes are the same species as wolves and dogs because they can interbreed and produce fertile offspring. But using that argument, servals and domestic cats would be the same wouldn't they? They can produce fertile offspring, can't they? I have this discussion with my advisor all the time, and he talks in circles about how to define species.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:19 pm

This jackal is the only one of the jackals that are actually gray wolves. There was a study done pretty recently that showed they had close enough DNA to wolves to be a subspecies of the gray wolf.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:22 pm

Here is just one of the sources I looked at when I was researching:

http://earthsky.org/earth/the-egyptian- ... n-disguise

ImageImage
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:24 pm

I think species should be defined on which animal can interbreed without infertility as well, but that is based on my religious beliefs. icon_biggin.gif

ImageImage
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:00 pm

Okay so it's a "jackal" species I wasn't even aware of.

The difference between the dog/wolf/jackal/coyote hybrids and the feline hybrids is fertility. Most of the first generation of feline hybrids are not fertile. Occasionally horse/donkey crosses are fertile too. Hybrids that are occasionally fertile are not the same as always fertile, well as fertile as often as normal noncrosses. All the "dog" crosses are normally fertile.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:34 pm

Exactly! Ive noticed that too with the canine and feline hybrids.maybe that explains how there can b so many breeda of dog.... Hmmm.

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:39 pm

Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:53 pm

For some reason my computer isn't letting me go to the sites you listed. :shrug:

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Splashstorm wrote:For some reason my computer isn't letting me go to the sites you listed. :shrug:

It's all from the same site. And yeah,sometimes it takes awhile to load. It works eventually though.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Yeah, it started working after a while. ._____.

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:16 pm

For those who are having trouble seeing the site, here is the complete list of recognized subspecies from it:
1.Egpytian Wolf(Canis lupus lupaster)
2.Tundra Wolf(Canis lupus albus)
3.Arabian Wolf(Canis lupus arabs)
4.Eurasian Wolf(Canis lupus lupus)
5.Indian Wolf(Canis lupus pallipes)
6.Eastern Wolf(Canis lupus lycaon)
7.Italian Wolf/Appenine Wolf(Canis lupus italicus)
8.Iberian Wolf(Canis lupus signatus)
9.Arctic Wolf(Canis lupus arctos)
10.Mexican Wolf(Canis lupus baileyi)
11.Great Plains Wolf(Canis lupus nubilus)
12.McKenzie Valley Wolf/Northwestern Wolf/Rocky Moutian Wolf(Canis lupus occidentalis)
13.Russian Wolf(Canis lupus communis)
14.Caspian Sea Wolf(Canis lupus cubanensis)

Recognized species from it are:
Red Wolf(Canis rufus)
Gray Wolf(Canis lupus)
Ethiopian Wolf(Canis simensis)
And Eastern Wolf is also listed as Canis lycaon as well as Canis lupus lyacon with a note that scientists are currently arguing over whether or not it should be classified as its own species or stay as a subspecies of Gray Wolf.

Return to “Wolves”