PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Wolf Subspecies

For all topics on wolves

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Splashstorm

Re: Wolf Subspecies

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Last year, I went to a talk at my zoo with the Wolf Biologist Doug Smith,who is head of the Wolf Reintroduction Project and asked him about it and he confirmed that the Yellowstone Wolves are the Great Plains subspecies. They have nothing to do with Alaskan wolves. The Alaskan Wolves are Mckenzie Valley Wolves and Arctic Wolves.

That's odd. I've heard a lot of other sources that said different. That's why there was such an outcry when they first introduced them.

"The Farm Bureau's of Idaho, Wyoming and Montana opposed the plan on the basis that the wrong subspecies of wolf—Canis lupus occidentalis (Mackenzie Valley Wolf (Canada)) instead of Canis lupus irremotus (Northern Rocky Mountain Gray Wolf) was selected for reintroduction. These objections were overcome and in January 1995, the process of physically reintroducing wolves into Yellowstone began.[17]"

And Arctic wolves aren't Alaskan wolves ^^" (Sorry had to point that out. I hate when people confuse the two since Alaskan wolves are my favorite wolves/animals of all time. :happyfox: )

Also, I said that that site has domestic dogs and red wolves on the page as not being true wolves when they are. The page is called "Pseudo" Wolves meaning fake of false wolves. Red Wolves are also not considered Gray Wolves anymore. They are either considered Gray Wolf-Coyote hybrids or their own species of Canis rufus

Ohh okay I didn't get what you were saying lol. And where did you hear that (about the red wolves)?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:23 pm

That's odd. I've heard a lot of other sources that said different. That's why there was such an outcry when they first introduced them.

"The Farm Bureau's of Idaho, Wyoming and Montana opposed the plan on the basis that the wrong subspecies of wolf—Canis lupus occidentalis (Mackenzie Valley Wolf (Canada)) instead of Canis lupus irremotus (Northern Rocky Mountain Gray Wolf) was selected for reintroduction. These objections were overcome and in January 1995, the process of physically reintroducing wolves into Yellowstone began.[17]"

And Arctic wolves aren't Alaskan wolves ^^" (Sorry had to point that out. I hate when people confuse the two since Alaskan wolves are my favorite wolves/animals of all time. :happyfox: )

Ohh okay I didn't get what you were saying lol. And where did you hear that (about the red wolves)?

Where did you get that quote from about the Yellowstone wolves? Also,there is no such thing as "Canis lupus irremotus". That was a subspecies that was reclassified under Canis lupus nubilus(the Great Plains Wolf).

The red wolves are from here(which says it's been updated in 2012):
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/wow/re ... iology.asp

and also here:
http://redwolves.com/rwc/about_wolves/facts_stats.html

and here:
http://www.fws.gov/redwolf/

Also for the Yellowstone wolves being Great Plains wolves,some info is here:
http://www.californiawolfcenter.org/learn/wolf-facts/

Canis lupus nubilus (Great plains wolves) once occupied most of the Western United States, southeastern Alaska, and central and northeastern Canada. It had the largest range of any subspecies in North America. It is also known as the buffalo wolf. It was thought to be extinct by 1926, but studies indicate that the wolves in Minnesota, Wisconsin and upper Michigan are descendants of this subspecies

So,the wolves in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and upper Michigan are Great Plains wolves.

Also,this site talks more about the reclassifcation from 24 subspecies into only 4 subspecies of North American wolves:
http://www.wolfsongalaska.org/gray_wolf_tax.html

At the 1992 North American Wolf Symposium, based largely on statistical analysis of skulls, taxonomist Ron Nowak suggested that North American Canis lupus be classified into the following five groups:

(1) occidentalis: of most of Alaska and western Canada (including alces, columbianus, griseoalbus, mackenzii, occidentalis, pambasileus, tundrarum)

(2) nubilus: of most of the western United States, southeastern Alaska, and central and northeastern Canada (including beothucus, crassodon, fuscus, hudsonicus, irremotus, labradorius, lycaon of Minnesota, ligoni, manningi, mogollonensis, monstrabilis, youngi)

(3) lycaon: of southeastern Canada and the northeastern United States

(4) arctos: of most of the Canadian Arctic islands and Greenland (including arctos, bernardi, orion)

(5) baileyi: of Mexico and the extreme southwestern United States.

[/quote]
All of those wolves I bolded are currently exsisting wolf subspecies that were reclassified as Great Plains Wolves and one of the bolded ones is irremotus, meaning scientists determined that Great Plains Wolves and Rocky Mountain Wolves were/are actually the same subspecies. Also,the Hudson Wolf, Vancouver Island Wolf, Labrador Wolf, Alexander Archepalago Wolf, and Baffin Island Wolf are also now considered to be the same subspecies as Great Plains wolves.

Seems you were right about Alaskan Wolves though. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that arctic wolves could be found in Alaska,but apparently it's Canada where they are found.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:45 pm

"pop"

Return to “Wolves”