OKLAHOMA
OREGON
PENNSYLVANIA
SOUTH DAKOTA
UTAH
VERMONT
WASHINGTON

:bear: :eleph: :piggy: :peng: :rhin: :kitty
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: States that allow pure wolves.

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:34 pm

There is a difference between a zoo being allowed to have a wolf and an individual. You could list every state as allowing wolves if there is no criteria for what allowed means.

If you mean for an individual to own as a pet then the list does not work.

The 27 States that allow pure wolves as pets:
ARIZONA NO
ARKANSAS NO a native species not allowed for pets
CALIFORNIA NO
COLORADO NO
DELAWARE permit needed not given for pets
FLORIDA YES with permit
IDAHO ? they wont let you import for sure
INDIANA NO permits not for pets
IOWA NO
KANSAS ?
MAINE ?
MARYLAND NO
MINNESOTA pretty sure they aren't allowed as being native wildlife but not 100% sure
MISSISSIPPI permit required probably fairly hard to get as listed as dangerous
MISSOURI YES just need to register it
MONTANA ? my info currently is only on exotics
NEVADA NO Wolves are native game mammals
NORTH CAROLINA ? don't know
NORTH DAKOTA permit required probably fairly hard to get as listed as dangerous
OHIO license for native wildlife
OKLAHOMA ? permit required not sure what is required to get permit
OREGON NO USDA only
PENNSYLVANIA NO
SOUTH DAKOTA ? permit required not sure what is required to get permit.
UTAH NO
VERMONT NO
WASHINGTON NO
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:57 pm

I don't know where you got your info, but I did include only states that allowed wolves as pets..?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Where did you get you're info from Splashstorm, because you are wrong on most of those states allowing wolves as pets.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:12 pm

I read the actual codes from those states.

I'm not going to go and copy paste every state's laws here but all the red NO's I am sure on.

USDA required means not pet

ASH is in Utah and has delt with the board and knows for a fact wolves are not allowed.

CA even legally requires an owner who manages to get a permit to tell people it is not a pet, they need USDA and 2 years experience in a licensed facility, permits are given for a select few purposes that are not pet. I was in the state when some "wolves" were confiscated and made news. It was not a permit issue wolf-dogs are allowed wolves are not, the state declared them pure wolves.

I'm not going to cite them all but you are giving out false information. If info is posted here people might trust it when deciding to get an animal or move somewhere to get an animal. It is important the be as thorough as possible to try and ensure accurate info is given, even then the state laws section has a disclaimer that we don't claim 100% accuracy and to check for themselves.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:16 pm

ARIZONA NO
"Possession of wolves in Arizona is prohibited without a permit. They may not be imported or possessed except as otherwise permitted by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission."

ARKANSAS NO a native species not allowed for pets
"The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission does not address the domestic ownership of pure wolves."

CALIFORNIA NO
"Ownership of pure wolves is illegal except by the few people qualifying for a valid permit from Fish and Game. Among the criteria for such a permit are rigid requirements for facilities and experience in raising such animals, along with approval of the USDA."

COLORADO NO
"Pure wolves require commercial licensing and appropriate carnivore facilities. #1101 (A). No person shall possess ... unless he first obtains a proper license as provided in this chapter."

DELAWARE permit needed not given for pets
"No person shall ... possess ... a wild mammal ... not native to or generally found in Delaware without first securing a permit under this chapter." They say nothing about how the animal will be used.

FLORIDA YES with permit

IDAHO ? they wont let you import for sure
"Any person who obtains ... a wolf that was born or held in captivity for any purpose must apply for a license for each animal within three (3) days of possession capture or commencement of captivity."

INDIANA NO permits not for pets
"A Class III wild animal permit is required for each individual wolf. Additionally, a USDA permit must be possessed by the owner for each wolf." Again, it does not specify how the animal should be kept.

IOWA NO
"Under the Department of Natural Resources, owners of two or more purebred wolves must have a game breeder's permit. Their facilities are inspected and permits issued by the Department of Natural Resources... Wolf/wolf hybrids would be subject to the same entry requirements as dogs coming into Iowa from elsewhere."

KANSAS ?
"Any person possessing a wolf must have a possession permit. There is no charge for the permit. Proof of purchase or receipt is required. A game breeders permit is required to engage in the business of raising and selling wolves."

MAINE ?
"A person may possess a wild animal after obtaining a permit." http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_ ... ummary.php

MARYLAND NO
"A person or incorporated or unincorporated organization may not harbor or move within Maryland any live wolves or hybrids... without first having obtained a permit from the Service."

MINNESOTA pretty sure they aren't allowed as being native wildlife but not 100% sure
"Pure wolves may not be taken from the wild, may only be obtained from properly licensed breeders and require a permit for their possession."

MISSISSIPPI permit required probably fairly hard to get as listed as dangerous

MISSOURI YES just need to register it

MONTANA ? my info currently is only on exotics
"Wolves ... are required to be tattooed and records of the same maintained by the Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks.... All 50% or greater crosses and pure wolves are required to be tattooed and registered."

NEVADA NO Wolves are native game mammals
"...A Division of Wildlife license or permit is not required to import or possess (wolves)."

NORTH CAROLINA ? don't know
"Possession of eastern timber wolves or red wolves (100% purebred stock) would require a wildlife captivity license, which may be obtained by written request to the Division of Wildlife Management for a captivity application and then by following the application procedure."

NORTH DAKOTA permit required probably fairly hard to get as listed as dangerous

OHIO license for native wildlife

OKLAHOMA ? permit required not sure what is required to get permit

OREGON NO USDA only

PENNSYLVANIA NO
"Wolves ... may be possessed if they are purchased or received from any lawful sources from within or without the state and if the owner first secures an Exotic Wildlife Possession Permit from the Pennsylvania Fish and Game Commission."

SOUTH DAKOTA ? permit required not sure what is required to get permit.

UTAH NO
"Pure wolves and any other species listed as threatened or endangered, "may not be imported or possessed without first obtaining a certificate of registration from the division, a federal permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and an entry permit number from the Department of Agriculture."

VERMONT NO
"It is unlawful for any person to bring into the State of Vermont any live wild bird or animal ... unless, upon application in writing therefor, the person obtains a permit to do so." The definition of "Wild Animals" include "the family Canidae, any hybrids with domestic dogs."

WASHINGTON NO
"Private ownership of a wolf requires proof of legal acquisition, health certificate, proper holding facilities."

Sources:
http://www.wolfdogalliance.org/legislat ... elaws.html
http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_ ... ummary.php

ImageImage
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Wait, you are saying that USDA does not mean pet? Why is that?

ImageImage
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:22 pm

They do not go into all the details but only give very brief info on those sites. All those states on there are not saying you can have them as pets. Plus that site has not been updated in years. Many of the laws have changed in several states sense it has been made.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Oh. D: Well that stinks. :wall: I just wanted to make an informative list but turns out my sources are all outdated. :nogif: Blahhhh. >.<"

And what's the deal with USDA? How come everyone makes such a fuss about it? There are plenty of exotic pet owners who are USDA licensed? How hard can it really be? I read over their requirements and it seems you really just need to renew permits or whatever it is, pay a yearly fee, and have the right enclosures and healthy animals?

ImageImage
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:04 pm

USDA does NOT give a license for pets. This means you must exhibit or breed or broker. While you need the license to breed or exhibit in many areas USDA gives people a hard time about getting the license even when they qualify. They do NOT want people getting the license just so they can have pets.

I could have a fox since I'm USDA already for exhibition of my anteaters. Foces are banned for personal but USDA is exempted from the exotic law. I could not have a native fox though. Native fox fall under other laws. USDA can be a viable option if you want a banned animal and USDA is exempt but it's not ideal you MUST exhibition or breed and sell to keep the license and many pet owners wouldn't really want to do that. There are records that need to be kept ect and some inspectors interpret things differently so it can be harder for some than others.

The thing about the list is as stated it's only a small snippet of the law and what's included. If it's banned without a permit you need to look at what's required for the permit. CA again is a prime example, especially since I know it well, the permit is NEVER given for pet and is very hard to get and you need 2 years experience, there are caging requirements that are petty large, need USDA ect. The average person wanting a pet is not going to be able to qualify. The average person who actually wants to exhibit and gets USDA will still have trouble qualifying there.

In PA they officially have permits for exotics but they never give them out any more. What is on paper no longer matters then but it also requires 2 years experience.

Idaho is an odd one. I considered moving there and called the state vet. While exotics are not banned on paper they need an import permit and they simply refuse to give out import permits. As for wolves I'd have to look deeper but again it really matters what the requirements are.

I actually wrote to the official office in Wyoming to clarify their laws. I know not on your list but another good example of there being more to the laws than you see on paper. They officially ban very little but require import permits and possession permits for exotics. I didn't ask about wolves but the foxes are banned for import, so you can't have them. To have an anteater there are a few other hoops to jump through before being granted an import permit, like having a property with cage set up first. I also said up front I have my USDA so do not know if the answer might have been different had I not.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:56 pm

So,does anyone have a proper list of all the states where pure wolves actually really are legal?

I know Florida is one,but I'm not sure on others.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:40 pm

I guess you can take my list and look up which ones don't need USDA licensing.

ImageImage

Return to “Wolves”