please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Greetings from New England!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: hecate, minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

mieu

Greetings from New England!

Postby mieu » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:30 am

Just another animal lover joining the fold!

I have a great appreciation for all animals, great and small. I've grown up with many different pets, my family had a little bit of everything--bearded dragons, tree frogs, hermit crabs, budgies and finches, hamsters galore, a lone rabbit, five rescue pups and a couple of kitties, too!

Since moving out, my current furry family is small, but I love them all to death. I've got a pair of finches, a feisty leopard gecko, and will be adding a puppy to the mix in a few weeks. The research process caused me to stumble on this site, and I couldn't help but join! I love seeing all of the discussion about exotic pets!

It's my hope one day to have a place big enough (and an income cushy enough) to keep at least one exotic, I'm thinking of a blue tree monitor (after significant research and mentoring, of course). It is also my goal to foster rescue dogs and prepare them for their new families when I have more room as well!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from New England!

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Hello, and welcome! It's great to have another animal lover here. ;)

What breed of puppy are you getting?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
mieu

Postby mieu » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:25 am

We've decided on a pug! I've found an ethical breeder in the area who produces some beautiful and healthy pups (a friend of mine got a Boston Terrier from her a few years ago). I'm a software developer living in an apartment on the edge of a city so the breed's temperament and needs are a perfect fit. My first 'family dog' growing up was a pug, and I've always loved them!

Thanks for the welcome!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:27 pm

Welcome to the forum!

It is also my goal to foster rescue dogs and prepare them for their new families when I have more room as well!

I do this right now, and let me just say, it is SO hard to give up your fosters. I'm a notorious failed foster. Two of my three dogs were fosters. One is technically still a foster, but as soon as I talk to my boss, I think I'm going to adopt her too. I just love her. Despite it being hard to give up your fosters, it is SO rewarding to watch a fearful, abused dog change and blossom into a trusting animal that doesn't have to wonder when the next time it will get to eat will be. My current foster was left alone for so long that she had taken to eating insulation and was very very sick when she was removed from the situation. She has her own thread here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10647 I look forward to hearing about you new puppy and seeing pictures of your animals! icon-smile
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:02 am

Love your icon, though I'm partial to Fluttershy and Princess Luna myself. ;)

Blue tree monitors are absolutely gorgeous. I've always been more of a fluffy-canine-person myself (as evidenced by my two dogs and fox), but those are beautiful animals as well. I've had a ball python and two anoles in the past though. If you ever get one, pictures would be much appreciated.
mieu

Postby mieu » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 pm

sarajeku wrote:Welcome to the forum!

It is also my goal to foster rescue dogs and prepare them for their new families when I have more room as well!

I do this right now, and let me just say, it is SO hard to give up your fosters. I'm a notorious failed foster. Two of my three dogs were fosters. One is technically still a foster, but as soon as I talk to my boss, I think I'm going to adopt her too. I just love her. Despite it being hard to give up your fosters, it is SO rewarding to watch a fearful, abused dog change and blossom into a trusting animal that doesn't have to wonder when the next time it will get to eat will be. My current foster was left alone for so long that she had taken to eating insulation and was very very sick when she was removed from the situation. She has her own thread here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10647 I look forward to hearing about you new puppy and seeing pictures of your animals! icon-smile

Oh gosh! I definitely anticipate the emotional attachment! I don't blame you--I like to think that I'll have a strong will inspired by the calling of rescue (or that I'll at least be motivated by the next set of sad eyes I see waiting for someone to come pick them up) but we'll see! I don't think you're a faliure, you've given three innocent souls a lifetime of love that they deserve!

Alynn wrote:Love your icon, though I'm partial to Fluttershy and Princess Luna myself. ;)
Luna is one of my faves, for sure. Rarity seems to be one of the most well-developed characters in the show. Plus, as an avid seamstress and an aloof older-sister I've literally 'lived' two of her episodes, so I became a little attached to her character.

Blue tree monitors are absolutely gorgeous. I've always been more of a fluffy-canine-person myself (as evidenced by my two dogs and fox), but those are beautiful animals as well. I've had a ball python and two anoles in the past though. If you ever get one, pictures would be much appreciated.

Dogs are definitely tops for me, but seeing as how my spare time is spent in a book or in front of a computer screen I'm cool with any beastie that likes to chill on my lap, shoulder, head and just 'be' with me. We lost power when Sandy blew by last year, and the leo had a full belly (shedding does not wait for inclement weather). I feared he would have stomach issues if he got too cold...so we ended up snuggling quite a bit those two days. Am I weird yet? Where did everyone go? xP
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:42 am

Aw, anything to save a scaley friend. That sounds a lot like me, so if you're weird, we're both weird. ;) If ever there were to be a power outage, I've already got a plan to keep my snakey babies warm. I'll put them in pillow cases, tie them shut, and then sleep with them under my blanket (though having some hot packets would probably be a good thing to have too).

If you have time, I would love to see some pics of your leo. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
mieu

Postby mieu » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Here's one! It's a still grabbed from video--I'm not actually that good of a photographer to get this shot xD

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Aaw! He's so cute. I love his little pink tongue.

Do you know what morph he is, if any? I've just recently started teaching myself about geckos.
mieu

Postby mieu » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Ash wrote:Aaw! He's so cute. I love his little pink tongue.

Do you know what morph he is, if any? I've just recently started teaching myself about geckos.

Not 100%, he was simply listed as a 'possible albino' and he looks like a Bell or Tremper albino in pattern, but a bit darker and with grey-gold eyes. He's pretty handsome regardless! This is him:

He had a very bad shed when he was a hatchling wherein he lost the tips of his claws :[ His tail is nice and thick but he's still a little lean in the leg than I would like. He's a picky eater after having had that stomach bug, but he has a very sweet disposition and loves to interact. He comes trundling out of his hidey holes whenever I'm outside the tank to say hi.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:54 pm

He's beautiful. I think they're gorgeous animals. Thanks for sharing the pic!

Return to “INTRODUCTION”