please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Hello All! New here!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Katielovesleo3

Hello All! New here!

Postby Katielovesleo3 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:45 am

Well, hi everyone, my name is Katie. I am 22. I live in Crosby Texas, outside of Houston. I have 2 rabbits, a Lionhead (Buster) and a Californian (Phoebe), they are currently bonding and doing great, (both altered) can't wait for them to be able to be together. I am tired of seeing x-pens in my dining room lol. I also have a boxer, Rosco, who is just the greatest dog I could ever ask for. I just graduated from Karen Pryor Academy (the woman who sort of invented clicker training, I went into the dog trainer program) and I am now a Certified Training Partner. I am a crossover trainer meaning I used traditional methods before but now I only use positive reinforcement techniques. I have trained one of my rabbits and my dog and many other dogs. Well, my dad got in a fight with his wife the other evening and he went out with our renter and one of our friends and they went to Down South Offroad which is a offroad place where you can take your ATV/UTVs and play in the mud and sand. Anyway, a person was down there with a baby raccoon hanging all on their side-by-side. They were trying to sell it (they said they got it from a breeder at 3 weeks old) and our friend told my dad who was drunker than I have seen him in a LONG time, HEY LETS BUY IT! and then he spent an ungodly amount on this 8 week old-ish raccoon. They brought it home to me and I was SHOCKED! My first thought was omg get that out of my house what if it has rabies or parasites?!?!?! My dad is like "Here Katie I bought this for you, I challenge you! I want you to train her!" I was still so shocked and since then I had been doing A LOT of reading and worrying and I found this forum! (YAY!) I completely understand that it is a wild animal and not to keep it caged, that is how they get aggressive. So far, she is very sweet and like a puppy, PLAYFUL AND FULL OF ENERGY! LOL!!! She has been eating my Rosco's dog food and grapes and she found some tasties under the refrigerator and oven haha. I bought her some minnows and she played with them for so long it was adorable, she wouldn't eat them though. She has been very good about using the litterbox (I am using equine pine pellets as I understand they aren't to use clay litter), she will still pee in her water bowl though. I am really thinking, "How am I going to have a giant raccoon in a house full of rabbits and a dog? Will she always be crazy and full of energy? What about when she is in heat? Should I just give her to someone who wants her-but I know that they will cage her after she grows up and is not as *CUTE* as she is now-and just try not to think about it? I will feel so guilty. I know I can give her a great home but I am so worried. She is totally stuck on humans now, she follows you room to room, sleeps on your chest, and wants to shower with you, if you leave her or shower without her, she cries and cries and cries. She bites *HARD* when you mess with her while she is eating or playing in water, and when she is in what I call "PSYCHO MODE", hahaha, she runs around and tries to climb things she isn't supposed to climb, get on my desk, go into the bunny room and terrorize the rabbits which she is scared of but she doesn't care lol, and she is super bitey too. I have a few toys she plays with but she would much rather play with blinds and extension cords and a backpack and the wastebasket lol. Anyway, think I wrote enough!!!!!! HAHA!
Katielovesleo3

Re: Hello All! New here!

Postby Katielovesleo3 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:12 am

Oh and also, Rosco is SOOO patient and good with her. He just sits there or lays there and she gets into "SCARY COON MODE" and then she comes up and sniffs and runs away, well shes getting braver, she now gently bites at his jowls and he is just a wiggling his tail and lets her do it and he is so great. He is also great with the rabbits too. I am so proud of him :)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:38 am

welcome to sybils message board. sounds like you have a few nice critters.
raccoons usually like dogs. they generally play nice together.
helps keep the raccoon busy.

raccoons have busy little hands and will get into everything. they will learn words, the first one to teach them is "no" :lol:

I don't recommend bothering her when she is eating. that is probably the reason she is biting.

are you planning on getting her fixed? I highly recommend it.

look at the linkbar at the left under "care sheets" I have a basic one for raccoons.

could you please ask some of your questions under this link:
viewforum.php?f=91

one last request (for me anyway icon-smile ) could you please seperate your sentences, and not clump them all in one paragraph. it is easier to read if separated.

for the questions not answered, just copy and paste in a new post in the raccoon section.

thank you for joining us.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Katielovesleo3

Postby Katielovesleo3 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Sorry it was late and I had been up all day. Thank you.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've definitely got a challenge. ;)

Keep in mind that the raccoon will have to be kept separated from the bunnies. Even if he seems to be getting along with them now, things could turn out really bad if they are together all the time, even if supervised. Other peoples' exotics have been great with smaller animals, only to suddenly try and kill them for no reason! So be very careful with your bunnies.

Anyway, good luck with the new addition. What's his name?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Katielovesleo3

Postby Katielovesleo3 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:52 pm

THanks! Oh yes! I have been like the watchful hawk, she seems to be scared of them right now but I don't want her to suddenly be like, MMM they look tasty! Oh and the buns are doing their job, when they first saw her they both thumped at her, the bigger rabbit, Phoebe, thumped at her 6 times! I was proud of her for being so brave against the newcomer!
SHe doesn't quite have a name yet, but we have been calling her all kinds of names, Punky, Punk, Lil Terd, Lil S**** when she is bad, Coon-tang, Coonanie, Dora (like the explorer), Psycho, Lil Nut, etc!!!! SHe has tons of names but I mostly call her Coonanie

Return to “INTRODUCTION”