PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Introducing Freyja

Wolf hybrids or other exotic species crossed with domestic

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

iris

Introducing Freyja

Postby iris » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:23 pm

I introduced myself and some of my animals over in the introductions area but thought it would be nice to introduce my little girl over here. Ash suggested it might be nice to do a picture thread with "growing up" photos of her. She is growing so quickly in just the 4 weeks we have had her so I do think it would be fun to share the progression.

Freyja is a very low/no content wolf dog. She is the product of a cross between mid/low-mid wolf dog (I think she was probably wolf and siberian husky, her owner thought she was 98% wolf but she didn't look right) and a great dane/american bulldog father. She really looks pretty "doggy" to me, there are things here and there but she is still a baby and it is really hard to tell. Obviously having the mastiff in her takes away a lot of the northern dog look even though she got the coat type. Her behaviors have been more on the difficult side, nothing like my American Bulldog. She has been very difficult to housebreak, harder even than my little chihuahua terrier mix (who despite so many horror stories was not that difficult). She eats dry wall and wood work and so far I have not been able to find any motivators, not toys or treats which makes training more difficult. She is very loving though. She likes to cuddle, adores the other dogs and loves to meet new people. She sort of over loves the cats (a mix of prey drive and trying to wrestle with them just as intensely as she does the other dogs, they are not amused). As far as all of her paperwork we have her listed as husky/mastiff which is what we tell people when they ask. My youngest son has let it slip though (he loves the idea of having a wolf because he loves wolves so much).

about 8 weeks, the night after we brought her home.

12 weeks playing in the yard

because I love her pretty face
SFig

Re: Introducing Freyja

Postby SFig » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:46 pm

She's very cute! I grew up with a Malamute who liked dry wall. We used pepper as a deterrent. Mom would put some pepper juice on the wall he chewed to keep him away from it.
Matt and Sam, owners of Batman (tuxedo cat), Marco (American Short Hair cat), and Bear (Bi-color Long hair cat)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:49 pm

Hyzzie used to chew furniture and cables. I used cayenne pepper powder and it stopped her quick.
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:16 am

Pretty puppy. I don't see any wolf though. Perhaps as she ages but I doubt it.

Eating dry wall and not being particularly motivated are NorthernBreed traits. I highly suggest looking into getting her a crate or kennel and leaving her in there when you can't supervise. I also suggest kongs and puzzle toys. Fill them with her dinner and make her work for it. Definitely look into positive reinforcement training classes in your area. Socialization and early training are important dog big, strong willed dogs. :)
~RabbleFox
iris

Postby iris » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:28 am

Yes her mother was not the 98% her owner thought she was, she was mid or low mid. I wish I had a picture of her to post. Freyja doesn't really look like her much, none of the puppies did. She doesn't look like her father either, he was brindle and looked a lot like my AB but lankier and he didn't have any white. The other puppies sort of looked like Siberian huskies, somehow Freyja turned out looking more like an akita. Mom had gold eyes, the only boy had green, one of the girls had gold, one brown and Freya has the one brown and one parti blue/brown.

She is in a crate when we can't be with her but she gets up to no good very quickly. Usually it is in that one moment when everyone is with her but we all think some one else is watching her, or when we think she is sleeping. She has puzzle balls as well, they belonged to Remus but he has informed me that he is too good for them :roll: . She figured the first one out within the first day. She loves showing off. I am planning to enroll her in puppy kindergarten but she is still missing one parvo shot. She just had her 3rd round last night including rabies. We've been avoiding the dog park for similar reasons. We may go for more formal training later, though I usually prefer to train my dogs myself. It really depends on how she takes to training. So far she will only do things if Remus does them first. He is a good role model though.

Thank you both for the pepper suggestion, I am going to try that. She has been getting the hint about my wooden rockers but she still won't leave the dry wall around the back door alone. icon_confused.gif

Return to “Hybrids of Domestic/Exotic canines”