ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Do ducks make good pets? If so where can I buy a Duckling?

Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guineas,Turkeys. Pheasants etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:20 am

Do ducks make good pets? If so where can I buy a Duckling?

Postby Laughing Hyena » Thu May 01, 2014 5:01 pm

I've heard alot of positive stuff from people who've owned Ducks as pets saying how affectionate they are etc. The only downside to owning a Duck I've heard is that they are messy I'm trying to do as much research as I can before I buy one if I can find a place to buy one I live in Illinois I found out they are legal to have but alot of suburban areas in Illinois don't allow farm animals as pets unless you live on a farm. I really want a pet Duck been considering a domestic Mallard.
User avatar
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10448
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:42 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: Do ducks make good pets? If so where can I buy a Ducklin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 01, 2014 5:36 pm

One of my Fb fried "is" a house duck https://www.facebook.com/iamhowietheduck?fref=ts

She has a diaper put on and sometimes is crated, I think it a giant dog crate kennel so she has plenty of room. She is kind of good at getting her diaper off. And by the name they must have thought she was a boy at first but she lays eggs. She sounds like a fair bit of trouble but, yeah affectionate.

Edit: they normally have duckings at the farm stores in the spring or can order them for you.
User avatar
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6592
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:25 pm
Location: pa
Contact:

Re: Do ducks make good pets? If so where can I buy a Ducklin

Postby pat » Thu May 01, 2014 7:59 pm

from my experience with ducks and geese. I have found ducks are very messy.
they love water. a mallard can fly. so plan on a duck flying around your house, and making a mess.

personally, I think it is only fair for the duck to have water source. living in the house is not fair to the duck.

some of my ducks were friendly, some not. all depends on the way some are raised or their personality. :shrug:

there are many types of ducks, you might want to get a small one.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Trefoil
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:58 am
Location: MI,USA

Re: Do ducks make good pets? If so where can I buy a Ducklin

Postby Trefoil » Sun May 25, 2014 5:16 pm

Ducks make great pets, but I would get 2, same sex unless you want a lot more. Dollar stores, kmart, and a lot of other places sell the plastic kiddie pools that work great for ducks or geese. If you have a fenced in back yard, put the pool towards the back, as long as a hose will reach (they need to be cleaned out every day and refilled.) A large dog house with a door you can shut to lock them in at night and you're all set. Personally, for a pet, my muscovies are the easiest to tame and stay friendly. Its so cute when they wag their tails at you. Rouen ducks look a lot like a mallard but they are calmer, a little larger, and can't fly.
Laughing Hyena
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:20 am

Re: Do ducks make good pets? If so where can I buy a Ducklin

Postby Laughing Hyena » Fri May 30, 2014 3:17 pm

pat wrote:from my experience with ducks and geese. I have found ducks are very messy.
they love water. a mallard can fly. so plan on a duck flying around your house, and making a mess.

personally, I think it is only fair for the duck to have water source. living in the house is not fair to the duck.

some of my ducks were friendly, some not. all depends on the way some are raised or their personality. :shrug:

there are many types of ducks, you might want to get a small one.
Yea everyone tells me if I want a Duck to keep them outside in a cage but what worries me about that is Ducks will definately attract predators and I'm sure a Red Tail Hawk or a Coyote would love a Duck dinner! What kind of cage should I build that will keep predators like these away from the ducks? I'm more worried about Coyotes because if I build a roof for the cage it should keep the predatory birds out.
Laughing Hyena
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:20 am

Re: Do ducks make good pets? If so where can I buy a Ducklin

Postby Laughing Hyena » Fri May 30, 2014 3:19 pm

Trefoil wrote:Ducks make great pets, but I would get 2, same sex unless you want a lot more. Dollar stores, kmart, and a lot of other places sell the plastic kiddie pools that work great for ducks or geese. If you have a fenced in back yard, put the pool towards the back, as long as a hose will reach (they need to be cleaned out every day and refilled.) A large dog house with a door you can shut to lock them in at night and you're all set. Personally, for a pet, my muscovies are the easiest to tame and stay friendly. Its so cute when they wag their tails at you. Rouen ducks look a lot like a mallard but they are calmer, a little larger, and can't fly.
Yea I'm looking into a Rouen Duck they say they are very good with children too.
User avatar
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6592
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:25 pm
Location: pa
Contact:

Re: Do ducks make good pets? If so where can I buy a Ducklin

Postby pat » Sat May 31, 2014 7:46 am

the word "cage" makes me cringe. I hope you mean pen/enclosure.

I have a pond, at night my ducks and geese stay in or near the pond. this usually keeps them safe from prediators.
also, some geese will protect the ducks. mine do anyway.

you could leave them out during the day, and train them to go into their enclosure. I did that where I use to live.
(keep their food in the enclosure) they need some type of water for swimming.

where I use to live, I had a large enclosure with cemented around the base of the fence and a top on it pen.

if you want to put something together quick. you can look on craigs list or where for a used 10x10 dog kennel.
but, put it against a building where you would then have a 10x20 pen. or see if you can find 2 10x10 dog kennels.
also, would be a good idea to put chicken wire over that.

but, you should have a top on it, you can use the chicken fence for that.

to secure the ducks even better, you can put a fence skirt on the outside perimator of the pen.
usually, when foxes dig, they will do it close to the fence.
here is a video that explains what I am talking about the fence skirt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmDf-wTXzc

also a sensor light on the pen, or even a solar light.

however, ducks are not usually real friendly. as I mentioned, some might be. I had two that were.
one of my ducks I had use to play with my dog... it was really cute to watch.

one last thing, if you do get duck eggs, or even a male and female, and you don't want babies, gather up the eggs.
they are fine to eat.

hope this info helped........
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Laughing Hyena
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:20 am

Re: Do ducks make good pets? If so where can I buy a Ducklin

Postby Laughing Hyena » Sat May 31, 2014 11:17 pm

pat wrote:the word "cage" makes me cringe. I hope you mean pen/enclosure.

I have a pond, at night my ducks and geese stay in or near the pond. this usually keeps them safe from prediators.
also, some geese will protect the ducks. mine do anyway.

you could leave them out during the day, and train them to go into their enclosure. I did that where I use to live.
(keep their food in the enclosure) they need some type of water for swimming.

where I use to live, I had a large enclosure with cemented around the base of the fence and a top on it pen.

if you want to put something together quick. you can look on craigs list or where for a used 10x10 dog kennel.
but, put it against a building where you would then have a 10x20 pen. or see if you can find 2 10x10 dog kennels.
also, would be a good idea to put chicken wire over that.

but, you should have a top on it, you can use the chicken fence for that.

to secure the ducks even better, you can put a fence skirt on the outside perimator of the pen.
usually, when foxes dig, they will do it close to the fence.
here is a video that explains what I am talking about the fence skirt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmDf-wTXzc

also a sensor light on the pen, or even a solar light.

however, ducks are not usually real friendly. as I mentioned, some might be. I had two that were.
one of my ducks I had use to play with my dog... it was really cute to watch.

one last thing, if you do get duck eggs, or even a male and female, and you don't want babies, gather up the eggs.
they are fine to eat.

hope this info helped........
Thanks for the info! :mrgreen: And Yea sorry I meant enclosure. :lol:

Return to “FOWL”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests