PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Next Mt Hope Exotic Animal Auction?

Dates and information for all type animal sale or auctions

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

inkslinger407

Next Mt Hope Exotic Animal Auction?

Postby inkslinger407 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:13 am

Does anyone know when the next Mt Hope exotic bird and animal auction is? I have tried calling the number listed on there website and can't get anyone to answer. And does anyone know what the laws are on coming from another state to buy animals at the auction?

Thank You!!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Next Mt Hope Exotic Animal Auction?

Postby pat » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:39 am

it is listed on their on the web site.
http://mthopeauction.com

here are the dates:
sept 18-20 auction
oct 17-18 swap meet
oct 31-11-1 auction

before all the changes in ohio, nothing was needed to buy an animal.
not sure if that still stands. you might need to show some type of permit and/or transit permit if you are out of state.
better to have too much than not enough :shrug: many people don't seem to breeding exotics like they use to.
mostly due to the law changes there. I use to go a lot, and would see tons of exotics, the last couple times I went,
it was mostly farm animal and domestic animals.

what animal/s are you thinking about?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
inkslinger407

Postby inkslinger407 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:12 pm

Hi Pat. My names David and I live in Central Florida. My parents are origionally from the Lucasville Ohio area. I remember going to the Lucasville trade days as a young kid and seeing all kinds of exotics at that swap. Now that I am older and have a family of my own, I want to share some of those same expierences with my kids. We still visit family members in Ohio about once a year. We took our kids up to the Lucasville Trade Days about 2 years ago and there was a very impressive amount of vendors at that swap, but No real exotics. This past June, We made a trip up to the Chillicothe Trade Days and were very disappointed, but we did meet a Skunk breeder at the swap who recommended checking out the Mt Hope Exotic Auction next time.

We are licensed breeders with Florida Fish & Wildlife and have recently applied for a USDA permit, but that is still pending inspection. We currently have Kinkajou's, Skunks, Foxes, Hedgehogs, Sugar Gliders, Prairie Dogs, Short Tailed Opossums, Mini Zebu Cattle, Emu's, Reptiles and African Grey Congo's. We are hoping to find Zebra's, Coatimundi, Raccoon Morphs, Lemurs, Marmosets, or more Foxes, Skunks or Kinkajou's at the Auction. Were also interested in exotic birds (Macaws, Parrots, Cockatoos) and ALL Reptiles. I know that Florida does require entry permits for most exotics, but I have also heard that your not allowed to transport some exotics across state lines so that was the legal part that I was hoping someone could clear up for me here. I was also curious to if i have to have a Ohio DNR permit to purchase and possess exotics in Ohio since I'm a Florida resident and have a valid Florida permit?

Have you seen any of these exotics at the past auctions? Someone also told me there was a big exotic auction in South Carolina and a exotic animal auction here in Florida, but I can't find any information or contact numbers for either. Do you know anything about either one of these sales? I do know of several small animal auctions here in Florida, but they rarely have any exotics.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:56 pm

This one is close to FL http://www.lollibros.com/

You can't transport things listed as endangered by USF&W(this includes some exotic things). Some things on the lacy act, like some large snake species, some mongooses and what not.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:37 pm

The exotic auction in Florida is up in north Florida, Mariana I believe. There are some posts on this board about it.

I am still questioning the value of traveling to auctions in this day and age of the internet. Do people find better prices there for same quality of animal or what?
inkslinger407

Postby inkslinger407 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:33 pm

lollibros is almost 1200 miles from where I live, but I would still be interested in going if it is worth the trip. Have you seen a lot of exotics there before? Thank you for your help and the recommendation. I have heard great things about lollibros in the past.

I've never heard of the Mariana Florida auction before, but I am going to look it up now. Have you ever been there? Is there normally a lot of exotic animals there? I'm a new member on this site, so I apologize that I have not read all the other threads on this forum yet. Thank you for your help.

I personally love the hole auction and swap expierences, but No, I do not goto the auctions looking for good deals. Sometimes cheap animals are NOT good deals especially coming out of the auctions!! We are very picky about what we bring back home. For the safety of our family and the health of our other animals, we will not bid on just anything. We travel too a lot of the reptile expo's, bird shows and the Ohio swaps occasionally. When we do this, we plan and turn it in to a week long family vacation with the kids. Were all animal lovers and love to travel so we enjoy the road trip expierences of going to new places and seeing things that we have never seen before.

Thank you all so much for your help.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:43 pm

I think lolli's is the biggest sale of all of them and has the most exotics.
broski1984

Postby broski1984 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:14 pm

Lolli Bros is considered the biggest, and is usually the best at listing animals on their website. You can look it up and they'll likely have their upcoming consignments listed. The last one I saw that looked really good though was the April 2013 one - most have been rather sparse (at least on pre-consignments) since then.

You can call them up and ask what they have, though.

Topeka is a decent auction, but it's the smallest of the three "big" ones. I'd go to it when you go to Mt. Hope, as they're usually around one another date-wise, but double check on that. They do not usually list consignments before sales, but you can call and ask what Lavern is bringing and what he knows will be there. Lavern usually brings some "big" exotics (zebra, coyotes, etc.) and I'd trust the health of his animals.

Mt. Hope I have never been to, but I hear it is getting small. The only videos I've ever seen out of it have not looked wonderful.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:57 pm

I haven't been to Mt. Hope since the new regs took effect. Before that they had lots of birds, doves,amazons, cockatoos,ect. And there were usually at least a couple of coons- usually common color, skunks,possums.Siberian chipmunks, ect. I haven't heard how the change in regs has affected the auction.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:42 am

don't waste your time at mt hope. they don't have near the exotics they use to. ever since the zanesville ordeal
and ohio regs changing. there are more birds, farm animals. very little exotics. still have some though.
the last time I was there was last year, didn't see much :shrug:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:37 pm

I wondered about that.
hillw

Postby hillw » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:01 am

I still believe that Mt. Hope is one of the best. All exotic sales are having problems with all the new regulations that have been imposed upon them. Lollie Bros. sale in Missouri is having the same problems. We have to continue to support them if we want to have exotic sales.

Return to “Animal AUCTIONS/SALES”