PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Dog has lump on ribcage, won't lay down, hunched back

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Dog has lump on ribcage, won't lay down, hunched back

Postby Juska » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:46 am

My mom just called me about fifteen minutes ago and described a list of symptoms to me that Conte is showing. I told her a couple of times that I have no idea what's wrong.

She says he has a soft, flat lump under the skin right at the end of his ribcage, about the size and shape of a half dollar. She specifically said that it's flat, not rounded.

He also will not lay or sit down/run or jump, which is very abnormal for him. He would not go outside to potty. She says he will eat if given food. And his back is sort of hunched over, his back legs seem to spasm or lift up slightly.

She says the lump is very squishy and he does not react when she puts pressure on it. It wasn't there yesterday because she was playing with him yesterday and rubbing his belly and stuff (she checks for lumps and bumps on the dogs frequently) and she didn't feel it then where it is now.

I really have no idea. I told her to call the vet as soon as possible, explain the symptoms and take him in. The only thing I can think of is some sort of back problem that's causing the hunched back and refusal to lay down. The lump might be a bruise? I don't have a clue. He's very odd about showing when he's in pain. But that's a Schnauzer for you.

This dog has had so many random bouts of strange symptoms over the years, it boggles my mind. And then they just magically go away. Except for the whining/shivering thing every couple of years it's never really the same thing twice. I don't get it.

EDIT: He is going to the vet at 4PM today. She will call me and let me know how it goes.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dog has lump on ribcage, won't lay down, hunched back

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:28 pm

Juska wrote:He also will not lay or sit down/run or jump, which is very abnormal for him. He would not go outside to potty. She says he will eat if given food. And his back is sort of hunched over, his back legs seem to spasm or lift up slightly.

These are signs of pain. It could be any sort of pain, yes could be back but abdominal is a high likelihood too but they can show these signs due to any sort of pain.

The lump is almost for sure just a fatty lump she didn't notice and has nothing to do with his symptoms. I paw over my dogs daily too yet when I find one it is always already it's full size sometimes quite large.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:51 pm

Mom called me from the vet's office, she said the lump is indeed a bruise, and his pain is coming from his spine. Vet says he has intervertebral disk disease. He's gonna have to take pain meds for a few weeks, then he's going back for a follow-up. I trust our vet so I believe her prognosis.

The bruise probably came from him trying to jump up/down from something and falling. He's been missing his jumps sometimes the past couple of months and doesn't quite make it sometimes.

So, no more Frisbee or ball for Conte, no hopping up on furniture. Vet says if he continues to try and jump on furniture, when they're both gone from the house that "he should be caged". He's not going to like that. I told mom to see if her and dad could try and build a little ramp he can use to get onto furniture without having to jump. Maybe that would help him.

And maybe instead of getting a crate to put him in they could put him in the bathroom or something, nothing for him to jump up on in there and their bathroom is carpeted so it's somewhat comfortable. He's used to being in there when my parents are in there getting ready for work and stuff, and it's right by their bedroom with double glass doors so he can see out of them. It's rare that both my parents are gone from the house anyway.

I guess I was sorta right about both...the vet said they could CT scan him to confirm the spinal issue, but that it is expensive and probably won't reveal much more than what they already know. They did blood work and everything came back normal except a low white blood cell count, which might be due to the bruise.

Mom says he's about 50% better than he was this morning. Still is hesitant to lay down but doesn't seem to be feeling nearly as much pain. He was panting before and isn't now.

They also gave him his 3 year rabies shot. I got their 1-year shots last June so they're good for the 3-year one now, and she asked if it was okay to have them done.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:31 pm

That makes sense. Surprised he hit himself that hard though.
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:57 am

He jumps up on countertops, the kitchen table and the coffee table frequently. He's about 12 inches tall and about 15lbs, so when he falls, he falls harder than, say, a cat or 5-10lb dog. And he's fallen from the edge of the couch after trying to jump up on it as well, I've seen him do that and not quite make it. Sometimes when I'm there and he does that I can catch him before he falls. I'm more surprised he didn't hit his head.

Do you know of any supplements I could have my parents add to his diet to help with the pain or his actual spine/discs?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:03 pm

Curcumin helps with the pain and inflammation.

Then I'd recommend AniMed Dog Care ArthAway. It's got a bunch of things in it that will help instead of having to buy them all separate. Like hyaluronic acid, which helps to increase synovial fluid and chondroitan which does similar. The shot Hyzzie was prescribed for arthritis, but could never get cuz they stopped making it, was mostly chondroiten, though it's not as effective orally it does still help. It's got MSM which also helps with inflammation. The spine is really a bunch of joints so the joint supplements like this help. Even the creatine in it was shown to help protect the spine though it may be contraindicated for impaired kidneys which is why I keep the dose lower for her.

I actually just give Hyzzie 1/8 of a teaspoon once a day instead of the recommended. It really makes a big difference for her. She used to need her metacam regularly especially in winter and now it's rare. Actually the day she got the pinched nerve I hadn't given her supplements to her the night before but I don't know it that contributed, it surely didn't help though. She gets the curcumin too. I give it to her religiously since and she's back to chasing Beaker and playing with her toys now and then.
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:31 pm

I will forward that along to my mom. Maybe I can convince her to order a canister of the AniMed Dog Care ArthAway and the curcumin. Or maybe once I get this job I can just buy it and send it there.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:07 pm

He is now on an anti-inflammatory and is doing very well. I made a visit last night and it seems like he's feeling like himself again. He was happy, moving around, saying hello, giving us kisses etc. So I'm hoping we found this early and that with preventative care he can live for a long time yet without much issue. His bruise on the one side of his body is still healing, it's in the red phase now. It must have been a nasty one when it happened. I can see how whatever action caused that bruise (we think he must have fallen from a high place and landed on something or just very badly on the floor) may have triggered the reaction he was displaying that day.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:25 am

Just wanted to update, Conte is doing very well. Once in a blue moon his IDD will flare up, and mom gives him a prescription anti-inflammatory for it, which almost always helps it clear up within a day or so. Vet said to give him -I think- a quarter or half tablet every 8 hours (and they're tiny!) until he feels better. He is still incredibly active and bouncy. He will be 12 or 13 years old next month.
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:39 am

So glad he's doing well! It's great to great about a senior flourishing. :)
moloch

Postby moloch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:55 am

Hi,

I think you must not allow him to go near your hard furniture!
Life Interiors Furniture https://www.aushoppinghub.com/brand/life-interiors/ Online Australia.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:57 am

Juska,

glad to hear your dog is feeling better. thank you for the update.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:24 am

Conte is still his little rambunctious self. He needs a haircut soon once it gets warmer out, but otherwise healthy and happy as can be!

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”