please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

New Member, With Bobcat

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: hecate, minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

hecate
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Member, With Bobcat

Postby hecate » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:28 pm

Happy World Cat Day!

I just joined this forum. For about a year and a half I've been helping a friend who volunteers with a wildlife rehabilitation group. I held my tongue with the mangy coyote while the rehab group's "mandatory" treatment and care protocols slowly killed the animal. But when the orphan bobcat kittens showed up I just took over.

We successfully released Mulder (who turned out to be Samantha Mulder, not Fox Mulder -- don't get me started) a month ago, but Scully is not releasable. She was found at three days of age by a man who does feral cat rescue, and he thought he had an ordinary Felis catus. He imprinted her on humans perfectly according to accepted feral kitten hand-rearing methods before he realized what he had.

So with any luck I'll be taking care of an absolutely delightful, purring, cuddling, loves-absolutely-everybody bobcat for the next twenty years or so.

I'm looking forward to comparing notes with and learning from you folks. Thanks!

ETA: Oh yeah, I've kept snakes in the past, volunteered in zoos, and successfully rehabbed wildlife back when you didn't need to beg a permission slip from the government to do the right thing. Also retired racing Greyhound rescue and adoption (over 400 dogs fostered and placed) and OTTB rescue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Member, With Bobcat

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:03 am

Welcome. The group let you keep one?
hecate
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hecate » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:44 am

She still "belongs" to the group, I'm the caretaker. Technically under state law unreleaeable animals must be put down or placed with an educational or research organization. I have a situation lined up with an excellent educational program where I could still take care of her, but the director of the rehab group claims that she sees that as "exploitation."

Funny how when she wanted to release both of them last fall as a big publicity event before their annual fundraiser, that wasn't "exploitation." They still had their deciduous teeth and would have died. So she released an adolescent badger instead, cold release, with nice big crowd of newspaper and television reporters on hand. The badger had been living in a dog crate eating canned cat food and frozen-thawed pup rats. I asked a wildlife biologist who specializes in badgers how that probably turned out and he said the badger almost certainly died.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:25 pm

welcome hecate

thank you for your love of these animals. sad how some people look at them differently.
I don't know much about exotic cats. again thank you for caring for the bobcat.
I hope you can continue to give her what she deserves, good care and a loving owner.

sad about the badger and how it was released. icon-sad all for attention icon-sad
no regard for the animal.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:14 pm

Welcome to the forum, it's great to see exotic cats!

Animal "rescue" has become a big business, but for all the fund raisers and people
clicking their "like" buttons, the need is always greater than the resources.

I call it "intervention" at this point, because so often, there is no real certainty as
to whether or not the quality of life was improved for the animals we act on behalf
on.

I'm glad the sweetie found someone who cares about her as an individual. I hope
so much you can find a way to caretake for her legally, forever. :-)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:25 pm

Hope you can work something permanent out.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:23 am

Hi, and welcome. :) Maybe try to get USDA-licensed to exhibit her and teach others about bobcats. Then you would be a perfect candidate to own her. Sounds like you have tons of experience already with animals.

Geez, 400+ fostered dogs? :shock: How do you do it? I'm taking care of one, and I can't even imagine doing 399 more... That's quite an accomplishment.

Rehab groups need to get off their high horse. Most are high-strung elitists. We've got some of them in my state too. Obviously not all are like that, but it's sad that it seems the majority of them are. :/
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
hecate
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hecate » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Well, I only had about 20 or so in my care at any one time. ;)

The people who want to take her suggested I get licensed. It's actually a good time to look into that since my house was destroyed by storms last year and I'm planning to replace it with a new, completely critter-designed home.

When I started learning about raising baby bobcats last year, the exotic pet people provided the most useful information, along with a friend from when I lived in Chicago who has worked at the Lincoln Park Zoo for over 40 years. She doesn't think very highly of rehabbers. She says they ask for advice and then never follow it. As she puts it, "We have to live with our mistakes. They don't."

It was on a different exotic pet site that I read if you can handle uncertain housebreaking, regular destruction of home furnishings, airlock doors, and living with an animal that can kill an adult deer, bobcats are great. That just described living with Greyhounds.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:27 pm

hecate wrote:Well, I only had about 20 or so in my care at any one time. ;)

Yep, only 20. That's nothing compared the one fox I own :lol:

Anyway, welcome icon-smile
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
TidbitandHope

Postby TidbitandHope » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:56 pm

Wow! You've had your hands full with all them dogs! I like dogs, but I have been more of a cat person honestly... most likely because my mom hasn't really allowed me to keep dogs much. My dad was more of a dog person, and we had several when my parents were still together (they divorced when I was 13 going on 14 or so). Since then I had only two dogs. One was a schnauzer my mom was talked into purchasing by her sis. I loved that dog, and taught him all sorts of tricks and took him out for runs while riding my bike a lot. I went to college, and didn't have much time for him so my mom gave him away against my wishes. My mom told me that the lady who got him I hear is an elderly lady and she spoils him, but I have never had the courage to contact her myself because I fear I'll want to take him back. I was also told her vet said that he was the healthiest, most muscular Schnauzer he'd ever seen at his age... made me feel proud! The other dog was Dixi, who had passed due to old age. She was a puppy I rescued off the streets, she was found in a tunnel under a road. I gave her to some neighbors (this was way before I had Spencer). They didn't treat her well or spoil her like their other dogs when she was out of her puppy stage. Any chance she got to break off her chain she came to be with me. Many years had passed and the people abandoned her when they moved away to leave their house rot. Dixi always stuck around my home and guarded it as her territory, but was free to roam to her hearts content and even went on runs with Spencer and I.

You must have a great heart of compassion to have the patience, space, and means to provide for all those fur babies! 20 at a time is a lot! Taking on a bobcat is really awesome and congrats to you! With all the past experiences with domestic and wild animals alike, you sure are a great companion/provider for it. I do hope that you could use it an an educational animal, and spark an interest towards the public in those amazing creatures!!!

I have had only one close encounter with a bobcat, and I apologize for saying this, but I hit it accidentally late one night when I was picking my fiance up (he cannot drive due to Optic Atrophy) to take him to a friend's house for the weekend. I was totally stunned and upset with myself. I happened to be on the phone with my fiance over halfway from my work to his place when out of nowhere one darted in front of my passenger-side tire. I turned around to check on it, but it was in fact dead... I kept saying repeatedly, "I hit a bobcat!!! I hit a bobcat!!! I hit a freaking bobcat!!!" My fiance told me to just try and calm down. I told him I was so upset for doing that, even if it was unintentional because they're such beautiful creatures! I would love to oneday have the opportunity to have a much better encounter with one.

Right now I have been raising orphaned raccoons (which amazingly my mom said yes to!, and I am not in college so I've had the time) and they have been so fun! I have seen so many hit(which is what happened to their mom) and I don't want the same to happen to them. I have raised various animals, but my experience with raising kittens has given me the most experience which I think has helped a lot in me raising the coon babies. Of course doing research helped and this website has been a good help ;) One such time with kittens was when I had to help with their mother as well. There were some very troubled people who I heard rumors were not good with their pets or kids, and they were being evicted from the house they were renting. They happened to live near my fiance's friend and showed up the day before leaving and begged me to take their cat and her babies, even though I was a stranger to them. I told them I didn't think my mom would be ok with it and I needed to ask her first... the people left anyway without the momma and babies. I got a call from my fiance's friend's mother, saying that Sable was seen locked outside (she was an indoor cat) and distressed, and that the neighbors called to let her know the kittens were in the backyard.... one dead and they discarded it but still wasn't taking the others. So I showed up with my younger brother's help in finding them. The living situation Sable had been was terrible because the house was very broken down and unclean. I looked at Sable and she was emaciated and could tell she wasn't producing much milk from starvation. My brother happened to hear the mewing of the babies better than me. I was shocked to find them in a bucket under a bush collecting rainwater, and the poor things didn't even have their eyes open!!! I was so distressed and frantically gathered them up with neighbors staring and we took them inside and got them all cleaned up. Sadly, a second (the only girl) died but I managed along with the help of my family to raise the last four boys and their momma. After weaned, we got the kittens all homes, but couldn't find Sable a home. My mom didn't want to keep her, so I had to take her to a shelter. I paid extra to ensure that she'd be kept alive and visited her when I could (she was over an hour away). The people at the shelter saw that I cared for her, and had her sent to a no-kill Shelter in Chicago. I have no idea what has become of her since.
Well, thanks so much for sharing such wonderful pics and news of your bobcat! Good luck with it! ;)
TidbitandHope

Postby TidbitandHope » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:32 pm

Oh also good luck with your new home!!! :)
hecate
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hecate » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:25 pm

About all I've completely made up my mind on is the flooring:

http://www.equiturf.com/what.html

I wonder if they can put it on the walls as well?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:06 pm

They make plastic wall panels http://www.delpro1238.com/
TidbitandHope

Postby TidbitandHope » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:16 am

Sounds like both would be beneficial!

Btw TamanduaGirl nice blog! Cute pics and vids!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:58 am

Thank you. I so need to get that caught up but it feels like work when I'm this far behind.

I would so love the plastic walls and ceiling for the anteaters. The ceiling's only a problem where they eat but still I had no idea scrubbing the ceiling would be part of the bargain of having anteaters, lol.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”