Fox breeders in Ohio?

Information on Breeders, brokers, and other dealers

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fox breeders in Ohio?

Postby Ash » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:14 am

I've gone through Tiny Tracks twice, and I have been very happy with my experience with them. Dave and Tammy are older, and are blunt with their advice. Many mistake their bluntness with rudeness, but they are not rude people. Quite the opposite.

Fable is the sweetest puffball you can imagine, lol. He has such a wonderful, winning personality, and is ultra fluffy. He is also calm and laid back. Ifrit on the other hand is crazy! She loves people and is a really good fox, but she's so funny. Very hyper. Bouncing off the walls.

My two are both awesome and I wouldn't trade them for the world. For my next foxes I have every intention of going through Tiny Tracks again. I'm in Utah, so the fact that I drive to and from Indiana to pick up my foxes from them tells you that I'm a satisfied customer.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:31 am

The one thing that concerns me with TinyTracks is the import permit. Does that come with your fox? Also I have terrible anxiety and thus I often find blunt to be rude. I know people don't always mean anything by it but it just seems very hurtful to me. Then again most of the time when people are blunt/"honest" with me it's not helpful advice it's condescending.

I've been mostly hearing recommendations for TinyTracks, Hillview[Sanitation problems?], Lost River, and a few have suggested Fox Paw. Then there's quite a few advising against Wess. Though I contacted fox paw and it doesn't seem like they will have arctic marbles, only red marbles. Which is a shame. I like red marbles too and may go for one but I was really hoping for an arctic marble.

Also seems my message to Wild Adventures was "seen" but no response. Guess I'm going to have to either try texting/calling sometime or just move on sadly. I don't want to have to heckle and annoy them to much.
Leopard geckos 3.4 Ball pythons 1.1 Cats 1.2 Fox 1.0
The Household Geckos Tumblr
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:39 am

I would not recommend Fox Paw.
Lost River I've heard are very kind people.
I dealt with Tiny Tracks and I recommend them highly.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:35 am

The import permit is a certificate of health, and yes, breeders should have those to give to you when you pick up your fox kit. Dave and Tammy are really nice people--I wouldn't be worried if I were you.

I have really bad anxiety too when it comes to talking to people and making phone calls.

Lost River is also known to be a good breeder too.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to who you want to go with. One thing about Tiny Tracks is I'm sure they still have openings on their waiting list for marbles since they produce so many each year.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:01 am

I'll go ahead and give tiny tracks a try then as well, though they claim that if I have a snake that the fox won't trust me because foxes and reptiles don't get along. If I state that I have reptiles will they automatically disqualify me?
That $200 deposit though, ouch.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:43 am

I don't think so, ash, you had them too, right? How much are the average costs of a gray or red from them?
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:46 pm

In Dave's experience, reptiles and foxes do not mix. I don't think they will even ask if you have reptiles or not, and if they do, it should not disqualify you. That's just their advice on their page. And if that's been their experience, then they should share it.

In my personal experience, I have not had any problems as long as I just wash my hands in between handling the reptiles and being with the foxes. I have six snakes, three iguanas, and a monitor lizard. My two foxes don't mind.

$425 is the cost of an arctic marble from them (regular marble). They do price their foxes higher than the average breeder does, but they have higher quality animals and rarer colors.

Dave provides a certificate of health which will help with importing your fox into Ohio.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:14 pm

Ash wrote:In Dave's experience, reptiles and foxes do not mix. I don't think they will even ask if you have reptiles or not, and if they do, it should not disqualify you. That's just their advice on their page. And if that's been their experience, then they should share it.

In my personal experience, I have not had any problems as long as I just wash my hands in between handling the reptiles and being with the foxes. I have six snakes, three iguanas, and a monitor lizard. My two foxes don't mind.

Well that's why I was asking, because on the form thing they have to fill out inquires about what pets you have, that's all.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:24 am

I totally get the pricing with the foxes, if you take better care of your animals you have to price them higher. I help out with a rabbitry, and our bunnies are $100 because we clean every day, have organic food and hay, let our rabbits run around in pens daily, and try to spend time with each one. I would love to get a gray sometime, can you keep them with reds?
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:03 pm

Whisper wrote:I totally get the pricing with the foxes, if you take better care of your animals you have to price them higher. I help out with a rabbitry, and our bunnies are $100 because we clean every day, have organic food and hay, let our rabbits run around in pens daily, and try to spend time with each one. I would love to get a gray sometime, can you keep them with reds?

Grays are much smaller and genetically speaking are not at all closely related to red foxes. They're also a lot smaller. I'd imagine they can get along under supervision, but they shouldn't be housed together.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:50 pm

Oh, yeah, I phrased that wrong, I meant playing. The reason I asked is I would love to get a gray, but I want a fox that could play with zorr. I will probably get a vixen if I get another(:
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:26 pm

Ah, oh gosh.. I forgot the phone number when I submitted it.. Oh dear, I hope they won't brush it aside because of that.. Should I fill it out again and re-submit it with the phone number? ><;
Guessing I may have to in order to pay, unless I mail the cash/check.. Though I don't exactly want to do that without some sort of confirmation that they got the submission and accepted it..
Sorry I'm just really anxious and don't want to mess this up.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:28 am

Sorry for the double post but it won't let me edit the other one after a certain period of time.[Really wish I could though..]
Anyways I went ahead and re-sent the form with the missing information, hopefully they won't get mad about that. Will I get some sort of confirmation that it was received/accepted then asked to send the deposit or am I supposed to just send the money without knowing what's going on?

Now I just gotta find a Tractor Supply company that has the dog pen I wanted to look at to measure the gap on the door.. Sadly the one I went to doesn't have the display or the item itself anymore it seems.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:12 pm

KaitouCat wrote:Sorry for the double post but it won't let me edit the other one after a certain period of time.[Really wish I could though..]

The inability to edit after a bit of time is a security measure. Occasionally someone goes nuts and goes back and blanks out all their posts or get in an argument with someone and edits after replies to make it look like the conversation went differently than it did and things like that.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:28 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:
KaitouCat wrote:Sorry for the double post but it won't let me edit the other one after a certain period of time.[Really wish I could though..]

The inability to edit after a bit of time is a security measure. Occasionally someone goes nuts and goes back and blanks out all their posts or get in an argument with someone and edits after replies to make it look like the conversation went differently than it did and things like that.

Ah, fair enough. I'm just used to double posting being a bad thing. xD;
Also still waiting on a response from them, not sure what's supposed to be done here. Am I supposed to just call them? I really am not comfortable sending that much money without confirmation of some kind.

Return to “BREEDERS & DEALERS”