please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

DIY Driftwood Basking Platforms Including Preparing wild wood

Enclosure, cage, nest box, building and enrichment ideas for any species.

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

DIY Driftwood Basking Platforms Including Preparing wild wood

Postby minervasden » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:50 pm

You'll need to scroll down some. The top portion is about preparing wild collected wood using a pesticide (but some good notes on choosing wood). This is a turtle specific page but the platforms are not limited to turtle use.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articles/How%20to%20Build%20a%20Driftwood%20Basking%20Platform.htm

I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ana

Re: DIY Driftwood Basking Platforms

Postby Ana » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:10 pm

I've always had curiosity about treating and prepping wild wood! Thank you for this!
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:22 pm

Ana wrote:I've always had curiosity about treating and prepping wild wood! Thank you for this!

I don't know much about the pesticide method on the page, so I certainly would do more research before using.

EDIT: This is the method most commonly used-Bleach and Baking. http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-articles/enclosure-wood-sanitation/
Ana

Postby Ana » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:02 pm

Yeah, I've read so many different things, I might try writing some of them down for my next trip to the vet, but if I know him, it'll be the blank stare again, LOL
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:40 pm

I just grabbed some driftwood from the lake and a tree like branch from a pruning pile and Pua is still alive.

Of course I also bring in buggy wood on [purpose for them to play with and the house is still standing.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:47 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:I just grabbed some driftwood from the lake and a tree like branch from a pruning pile and Pua is still alive.

Of course I also bring in buggy wood on [purpose for them to play with and the house is still standing.

It just depends on the purpose and animals involved. I certainly don't see a point in cleaning a wild log for a tamandua
icon-smile

It's a good idea to clean driftwood and even wooden hamster houses from the pet store as well. Don't want to take home something (mites) you didn't purchase.
Ana

Re: DIY Driftwood Basking Platforms Including Preparing wild wood

Postby Ana » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:06 am

SOMEHOW, I'd get some outrageous, pernicious bug/fungus/entity that would work it's way into the ears of EVERY animal in the house and cost me a million dollars. I cannot count the times I've brought mites and ringworm here, and once a fungus the vet couldn't even frigging identify. YEAST, termites, carpenter ants, SOMETHING would be in there to create havoc. Somehow. :lol:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DIY Driftwood Basking Platforms Including Preparing wild wood

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:44 pm

Depends on the animal, as Minerva said. :) For snakes, I like preparing any wild wood. On the other hand, the LAST thing I want to do is de-bug the wood when it comes to lizards. The bugs in the branches help make the rest of the enclosure bio-active. In the case of tropical lizards, bugs are our friends, lol.

But I definitely wouldn't use plain, wild wood on just anything. Some animals need the extra protection.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Housing & Enrichment”