PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

frozen bloodsicle treats?

Recall info and Home Made Receipes

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Vata Raven

frozen bloodsicle treats?

Postby Vata Raven » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:23 am

I was reading a blog on fox care and their needs: http://foxrescue.weebly.com/arctic-foxes1.html

Under the arctic fox care sheet, it brings up bloosicles and making them as treats to help cool down the fox during the summer season, or any animal for that matter.

Does anyone make bloodsicles for their animals? Is it even safe? I imagine it would be safe so long as you know where the blood came from and trust the cleanliness of the facility. Where would I even be able to purchase animal blood? Could liquid blood builder work as a substitute?

Thanks in advance.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: frozen bloodsicle treats?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:52 am

You can just ask the butcher to special order you some. People sometimes use it in dishes like blood pudding and some exotic foods. There's a Malaysian place in town and had a "black soup" which was pig's blood, it was actually good. Anyway because humans do eat it it is available if you ask. Since you would be giving it raw I'd stick with beef blood.
hecate

Postby hecate » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:54 am

Asian food markets can be amazing resources. The biggest one in my area sells USDA inspected and passed frozen beef blood by pints and quarts. Also goat chunks with hide and bone, chicken hearts by the pound, fresh fish heads, pig heads, duck feet, frozen "giant water bugs," and other fun stuff.

The chicken hearts really came in handy when Scully was on prednisone for her hematoma. They are perfect pill pockets for carnivores.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:51 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:You can just ask the butcher to special order you some. Anyway because humans do eat it it is available if you ask. Since you would be giving it raw I'd stick with beef blood.

Would any butcher do? I do go to Kroger every week, or would a more family/specialized meat shop be better? Also, what is a normal price range on blood? I was reading that someone spent over $50 for a gallon.
hecate wrote:Asian food markets can be amazing resources. The biggest one in my area sells USDA inspected and passed frozen beef blood by pints and quarts. Also goat chunks with hide and bone, chicken hearts by the pound, fresh fish heads, pig heads, duck feet, frozen "giant water bugs," and other fun stuff.

There is a few Asian grocery stores near my place, I will check them out, thanks for suggesting that. What is the price range of the blood they sell at your amazing market?
hecate

Postby hecate » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:13 pm

I didn't notice the price the last time I was there. I'll be sure to look next time.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:17 pm

hecate wrote:I didn't notice the price the last time I was there. I'll be sure to look next time.

Thank you in advance for checking. I read someone was quoted over $50 for a gallon of animal blood; not sure if that is normal or what.
hecate

Postby hecate » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:40 pm

I went to the Asian market today. They didn't have any of the larger containers of frozen blood, just the small ones. The had beef and pork, USDA inspected for human consumption, 10 ounces for $2.99. That would work out to $38.27 per gallon. Usually the larger the package the lower the unit price.

For my crew I got bone-in goat with the skin, lamb hocks, meaty beef neck bones, and an entire half of a beef heart.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:41 am

hecate wrote:10 ounces for $2.99. That would work out to $38.27 per gallon. Usually the larger the package the lower the unit price.

$2.99 is not too bad of a price. I am guessing you just defrost the blood and pour it into the desired shape for the bloodsicle treat.

Thank you for checking; I hope my international grocery stores nearby have all the goodies your place has.

Return to “PET FOODS”