HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637[/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Kits go everywhere including in the litter

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Drake

Kits go everywhere including in the litter

Postby Drake » Sat May 21, 2016 8:17 pm

Hey guys, I've noticed others have written about similar issues but I really am at a wall here. I got my kits some weeks ago and was potty training them. Putting their droppings in the litter box and so on. At first they were sometimes going in there but not always. Now, after the move, they don't usually go in the litter box all that much. Sometimes Todd does but Vixie usually goes everywhere else. I mean they go all over the place. I'm wondering if I need to get them both their own litter boxes or if one is okay. In the meantime the houseowners are getting very angry about this but I can't seem to get them to take to the litter and they're getting older now. I'm concerned they won't take to it at all.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kits go everywhere including in the litter

Postby pat » Sun May 22, 2016 9:42 am

you need more litter pans. what kind are you using now?

actually, try having 4 litter pans. I use the cement mixing pans. only need a little litter, line the bottom with newspaper for easy clean up.

on another not, the one that does not use the litter , might follow suit with the one that does.

lets us know the progress.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun May 22, 2016 11:45 pm

The move probably really threw them off.

The BEST way to get a fox to use the litter box... is to limit the fox's space. Most of the time they understand the concept of the litter box, but they become lazy when it comes to the idea of returning all the way back to the box to go potty. When my foxes were little, I started them out in a big dog crate--half of which was the litter box.

After that, leave their cage door open, and put barriers around it so maybe they've got a 5x5 space to run around in. Put the litter box in a convenient spot. Keep putting their waste back in the box until they understand. Sometimes I would spray the litter box with Windex (make sure it's safe). Since it was a strange scent, they would go over to smell it, and sniffing behavior often would lead to urinating there. Sometimes they just wanted to cover up the smell with their urine. So hopefully trying those things will help.

I hope you can get into your own place soon. It's hard living under someone else's roof when you're owning animals.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Tue May 24, 2016 10:45 am

As mentioned above, limiting their space, offering multiple litter boxes, and making other areas where they go less appealing (adding a toy or blanket that they don't want to soil). Some animals also do well if they have an outdoor run to go out into. Animals naturally prefer to mark the outdoors above their indoor "den".

Best of luck! : )
Drake

Postby Drake » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:23 am

Well to update (I just made another post about this), they're a couple months old now. And the owners have finally allowed me to let them out of the cages because someone else left, so I moved into their room. Originally, I was sleeping on the floor and the foxes were in the cages. But now I'm moving into a room temporarily and the foxes are going in there with me. They love the room, tear into everything though and have been very affectionate with me.

But, they're still not taking to the litter. I got two litter boxes in the room. And sometimes they go in there but most of the time they don't. I imagine that them being in those cages for so long has something to do with this. But I'm really trying to get them potty trained. Maybe I'll try hat Windex after all.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:30 pm

If you did not start them out on litter boxes from day one, you will have a harder time litter training them.
However, as Ash mentioned the move may of discouraged the litter box habit. they must have litter box with them 24/7, especially at a young age.
(of course as adults too) but, I think it is important for them to access to litter boxes from day one.

I don't know what your future plans on for your foxes, however, if you plan on keeping them inside 24/7, may as well expect problems with destruction and a very foul odor that most likely will smell the whole house. if you rent, I doubt the landlord will be very happy.

Keep in mind, at a young age, they usually don't mark, however, as they get a little older, they will mark everywhere, especially if they are in a limited area. I apologize if I am wrong on your plans. (sorry, I don't always get time to read all the posts)

as you know, they will need an outdoor enclosure as they get older. if you have close neighbors, chances are they will smell the urine, some might be bothered by it.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:54 pm

It's my understanding she got the foxes but then hard times fell and she had to move in with family. I assume the family owns. But it's a similar situation to renting as family could be jerks at some point and say they have to go. Right now they kind of are as they want them only in small cage or one room rather than nice large enclosures being built on their property.

Foxes will always mark which means pee on things. You can't train that out of them.

You can get them to poop in the litter box most of the time but, yes best done from a young age. At this point I'd say clicker training is your best hope. You can click and give a fabulous treat any time you see one go in the box. Pua now goes religiously in her outhouse when she gets up because she gets some spray cheese for doing so and that's the only time she gets that special treat.

I had tried less positive techniques before with Stewie and they were major fails. He just became more determined to go in those forbidden spots. You instead need to motive them to go in the right spots. It does make it more difficult to have two needing to be trained at the same time. They will want to go where they smell the other has gone, but again marking will never stop. If you are lucky you might be able to get them to do their major bladder emptying in the box though and poo should for sure be doable but take some time.
Drake

Postby Drake » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:23 pm

Thank you for the replies! And yes, Taman was right. I had them since they were very little, and I have always supplied them with Corn Cob litter. The clay would get stuck in their paws. But they always had litter in their cages too. Sometimes they'd go but not always. I was thinking about trying some positive reinforcements, but I wasn't sure if they'd be able to understand they were getting the treat for going in the litter box, or that they're just getting a treat just "because". As far as an enclosure, yes, my family and I are planning on getting a 10ft by 10ft outside cage. It'll be wedged against the side of the house with a doggy door going out to it. So they'll have their outside places too. But like I mentioned before. There's a lot going on, and my foxes aren't priority to them at the moment.

On another note, they got in some serious trouble yesterday. They did some serious damage (chewed through wires and destroyed the cable box). I'm gonna have to replace it, but should I expect more damage like this? I don't want to put them back in the cages to keep them from destroying things but I'm not really sure what my options are. It sucks that this whole situation hit at this time. I mean we bond very well; we actually watched The Fox and the Hound together yesterday lol. It would break my heart to have to give them to a zoo or something, but I'm not sure what to do.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:47 pm

You will probably have to have them caged when not supervised if you can't secure everything they could damage. Foxes tend to be destructive in a house.

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”