PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Our cat was diagnosed with heart disease.

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Vagrant

Our cat was diagnosed with heart disease.

Postby Vagrant » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:54 am

Our cat Indy was diagnosed with heart disease early yesterday morning. He had come down with another illness, and we took him to the vet to get that treated, but he appeared to only get worse afterward. When we took him for a second appointment, the vet heard a heart murmur that wasn't there before, wanted to redo his x-rays, and told us about the heart disease. He is currently taking benzapril and furosemide, and we're hoping that he'll do fine with just this, but if that doesn't work he'll have to go to a cardiologist.

The vet gave us an educational pamphlet that told us some things about the disease, but I was wondering if anyone else here has kitties with this condition and could give us some advice? Is there anything we can do for him other than give him medication? Are there any other resources you would recommend for information/support?

If it matters at all, he was a stray cat that we adopted from a shelter about four years ago. He's around four years old and is a brown tabby.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Our cat was diagnosed with heart disease.

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:14 pm

Do you know what grade it was? Heart murmur isn't treated just heart failure so I'm assuming it's a loud murmur. Maybe the infection got into his system and damage the valve. A lot of times, at least in dogs in some breeds of dogs it can be common due to genetics and they live a long time but it slowly gets worse with age till there is failure then that is treated to make the heart work harder for as long as possible. We tried some alternative herbs and such for Quasi dog but they didn't help him live any longer. They basically just do what the drugs do just not as well.
Vagrant

Postby Vagrant » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:56 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Do you know what grade it was? Heart murmur isn't treated just heart failure so I'm assuming it's a loud murmur. Maybe the infection got into his system and damage the valve. A lot of times, at least in dogs in some breeds of dogs it can be common due to genetics and they live a long time but it slowly gets worse with age till there is failure then that is treated to make the heart work harder for as long as possible. We tried some alternative herbs and such for Quasi dog but they didn't help him live any longer. They basically just do what the drugs do just not as well.

I don't know what grade it was. There was a lot of fluid build up around his heart and lungs, I know that much. It can also be genetic in cats, or due to injury, but I don't think his previous problem was listed as a common cause of heart disease. He had stomach inflammation and we're not sure what caused that either, but maybe he had a birth defect in his heart and since this was the first time he got seriously sick, the stress had something to do with it. I don't know.

The vet doesn't give Indy very long to live even with treatment. Apparently heart disease of all types progresses extremely rapidly in cats. He's at least starting to improve on the medication.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Just odd nothing was noticed before now but I've only experienced it with dogs. Yeah by the time fluid is in the lungs it's bad. Quasi dog lived for a long time with a murmur but once he had fluid in his lungs he didn't last very long but the meds did help for some months.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:42 am

I had a dog that had a heart murrow. I found out when he was 9 years old I think the vet gave him a script, now sure.
he lived to be almost 13. I think he had a heart attack.

with cats, I don't know either if a dog and cat would differ. maybe try another vet.
I would think the vet would prescribe some type of med. for the fluid, maybe lasix would help that.
I had a yellow lab that had fluid build up in his lungs. he lived to about 12. he got pretty bad toward the end,
I had to put him down.

I don't know what cause your cat to have this. but, guess any cat or dog could get it.
also as mary mentioned, it could be genetic.

I am hoping you find something that will help your cat.

keep us updated
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Vagrant

Postby Vagrant » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:56 pm

Sorry for the late reply. After he was started on his meds, he still wouldn't eat (he had stopped eating before going on the meds) and the vet had to resort to an appetite stimulant. That didn't seem to work either, until we tried to give him baby food and he took it. That was almost a week ago. Now he has the issue of gaining his weight back too.

I wonder if he associated his regular food and treats with being sick and rejected them. When my aunt bought him a different kind of treat, he ate it really well too.

He hasn't yet had the breathing problems the vet said he'd get, so maybe it's not as bad as it seemed and he still has a good amount of time. I'll try to convince my brother to try a different vet for a second opinion.

Thanks for the replies and support! I should post a picture of him, but he's still kind of thin and not at his most photogenic. He's definitely doing much better though.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:42 pm

It seems the heart has to work so hard due to not being healthy that they just don't have energy left over to eat but if he didn't have fluid in his lungs yet, maybe it was him associating the food with being sick. I've seen that with animals a few times where they got sick then would refuse the last thing they ate even though not what made them sick. At least you found something he'll eat for now.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”