ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Aggressive coon, need help!

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Firefox450

Aggressive coon, need help!

Postby Firefox450 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi, I have an 8 month old coon named Bumi and my boyfriend and I are having trouble dealing with his attitudes! Ant time someone comes near his cage he starts growling, and he has gotten so bad that he will chase people down snarling and biting when we let him out. We thought we weren't feeding him enough so we upped the food but he threwup everywhere when we gave him too many peanuts. He is definitely overweight too hahaha. We have gotten him fixed already and we moved his cage inside because it Is dropping in the negatives now and that's when he started getting more aggressive. He has always bitten me hard but it was always when he was scared. We can get him in a harness no problem but he is SO aggressive that we can't let him free roam or he will attack someone. We got him from a breeder so he's not wild and he's up-to-date on all his shots. We have tried everything to help him not be aggressive. Our roommate got a new dog and they aren't aloud to interact but Bumi has been pretty good around dogs in the past so I don't think it is that.

Any suggestions would be great!!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Aggressive coon, need help!

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:23 pm

What kind of cage is it? How big? Keeping them in a cage will make them aggressive sounds too small if you could move it. He needs a large outdoor enclosure or his own room with outside access to an enclosure. A good den box with hay in it is enough even in negatives. That's what they are designed for. They will just sleep a lot and live off their fat then you wont have such a fat coon come spring. But if you remain worried you can make a heated shed/den box for him.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:53 pm

Raccoons don't belong in cages. They are one of the most intelligent and adaptable animals on the planet. Without constant enrichment, neurosis WILL ensue. It's not a maybe, its a guarantee. How big the cage is doesn't matter - you are frustrating a wild animal. It's wrong to do this, and the consequences you are experiencing are partially due to that. At this point, with so much damage done to the relationship, you can:

Release him immediately, never cage him again, and try to rebuild the relationship.

Leave him in the cage until he grows old and dies.

Send him to a rehabilitation facility.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:42 pm

I think releasing him a bit extreme at 8 months, even if feeding him it will attract other animals that might fight with him over the food and could be hard for him to find a shelter with it being winter.

Giving him a large enclosure should help a lot since his behavior issues only started recently when brought in. In the mean time he could be given his own room with enrichment to stay in when not watched instead of the cage till the enclosure is built. If he already had a room then you could do as some do and built the outdoor enclosure next to it so he can come and go from it to inside as he pleases, but close the room door when you aren't home.

I asked the size though because some people will call 10X10 dog pens kennels or cages even though I hold those words for smaller things myself. But most people would not be able to move something like that into their house so went on the assumption it isn't big enough while still asking, just in case.
Firefox450

Postby Firefox450 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:31 pm

He normally free roams around the house and the cage is just for sleeping and for work. He didn't progressively get mean it was a literal one night turn but now he just wants food or to bite and acts fine when he is away from his bowl he is still lovey when he plays in the bath and when we have him in our room it's almost solely when he is near his food bowl.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Most people sleep 8 hours on average. If working full time that's another 8 hours. That's 16hrs in the cage. You said earlier it was any time someone is near his cage. Since he spends most of his time locked in there that's all he's got and he's protecting it. He needs a nice large enclosure or at the minimum his own large room till you can make him an enclosure come spring. 10x10 is the bare minimum and then they need lots of enrichment for that.

You could try hiding his food and toys all over the house since he doesn't really have his own space to give him enrichment but that might encourage him to get into things.
Firefox450

Postby Firefox450 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:52 pm

He is more aggressive towards his food than his cage. When I gave him a bath today he was great! He gave me kisses and let me hug and hold him. I let him out of the bathroom and he went straight to where we keep his food, he tried climbing up the counter to get his container of food, and when I went to get him fown, all the while saying no, he growled at me and bit me so hard he split my thumb nail. I really don't think the cage is the problem. He is solely aggressive around food. My boyfriend and I are trying to get it to where he can free roam our bedroom while we are at work but I am very allergic to him. I already take 5-6 tablets of allergy medicine a day. We are trying and despite how people feel, I know we are raising him well. But we cannot let him out in the main house or in public if he is getting this aggressive over food. As stated above, when I take him out of the room where he gets fed he was fine. In fact he loved up on me and gave me kisses more than he ever has. I will try and get him back into the bedroom, but his aggression is only towards food so I don't believe that will stop him from mauling my hands.

He is in a ferret nation two tier cage right now. When he calms down we are hoping to let him free roam our room.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:40 pm

By release I meant take down the cage completely, no more cage. Not throw him outside to fend
for himself!

The cage is the problem because he's becoming impatient and neurotic. The food is a catalyst
for the behavior you've created through isolation and confinement. Keeping a raccoon in a cage
is cruel, full stop. They are too intelligent, they are full of thoughts and ideas. The aggression is a manifestation of that. That you would say 'despite how people feel' you think you're doing well,
then what's the point of asking for help? You know best, right?

However you feel, wild animals do not belong in cages. Not for 8 hours a day, not for any hours a day. Adjust the house to conform to standards of utility and safety for this raccoon you sought out, and brought to share your home. He didn't ask to be there, and you owe him. Don't ever betray his trust by confining him, and hope he is able to regain his sanity and self control.

I've been sharing my house with raccoons for years. It took a year of carpentry to create a
space where they can be raccoons, and we can be people. It's expensive and difficult. Realize
you are his entire world. He has no friends, no job, no life. Raccoons aren't domesticated. They
don't wait patiently for their person. He needs a life. He needs to explore and forage and make messes. Ditch the cage, fix things as they are ruined, and make him part of the family.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:08 am

Ana wrote:By release I meant take down the cage completely, no more cage. Not throw him outside to fend
for himself!

That makes more sense :)

Firefox450 wrote:He is in a ferret nation two tier cage right now. When he calms down we are hoping to let him free roam our room.

That is the bare minimum for a ferret or fennec, animals that weigh like 3-ish pounds. That is way too small. He simply wont calm down while caged in that and will keep getting worse as he fully grows up. Without proper stimulation and space all he has to live for is food.
Arakun

Postby Arakun » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:01 am

I think a better title would be 'lady needs help !' - living with a raccoon...
To start with, I'm a proud mom of 2 angels - read: raccoons. They are now 9 months old now. I bought them from a breeder, when they were 5 weeks old...so they were born in captivity. Their captivity STOPPED once they were in my arms. NO CAGE. EVER. They are born free and so they'll live till their last day will come...I hope I'll die before them. CAGES = CRUELTY, it's as simple as that !!! :-x :-x :-x
BEFORE adopting a sweet soul - 'coz they are souls and NO pets or toys - one must read and inform about his/her choice. By adopting a raccoon, you start a commitment for life ! One can't make it void !!!
To make it easier, treat the sweet soul with respect - putting him / her in a cage, is NOT a sign of respect !! :-x Treat him/her as if it's your baby !!
FIRST STEP : show LOVE, as much as you can give...
SECOND STEP : understand him/her behavior...
THIRD STEP : PATIENCE...mountains of it ; you need to establish a BOND with your angel, therefore you need TIME, PATIENCE and LOVE.
FOURTH STEP : don't PUSH or RUSH anything !
YOU MUST LIVE WITH YOUR ANGEL, not only visit him /her...he/she is your BABY !!!

For the rest, I FULLY AGREE with Ana...she has a WIDE experience with these lovely souls ! icon-smile

Questions are welcome...
Ain't No Thing Like Me, Except Me!
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:19 pm

My "angels'" nickname is heathen devil monster child. And she earned it as a terrible 1 & 2 yr old. You want your baby to be able to be "caged" quietly so you can get him to the vet when necessary. I didn't and my vet gets real snarky about me holding them on my lap at visits. About the food problem- is he getting enough to eat, I know, not usually a problem with coons. 2. is his diet healthy? 3. Do you hand feed him? This is usually started when they first start to eat solid food and it teaches them not only where their food comes from ((you), but to take it softly. 3. When he's done eating maybe try taking his food dish up and putting it in his cage 4. NEVER bother him when he is eating or in his cage. That should be somewhere he goes when he wants to be alone and unbothered. His cage should be out of traffic patterns. My 2 coons have never been in a cage since I've gotten them. Chloe will be 9 and I got her as a baby so she's never been caged except once when I tried to appease my vet by putting her in a carrier, which she totally destroyed. Scooter was almost a year old when I got him and he hasn't been in a cage since. Every now and then I again try to get them accustomed to a carrier using treats, but so far that isn't going anywhere. Oh and get him a golf ball, mine love rolling it around the bathtub at 3 a.m. Mine also love pistachios and they are better for them than peanuts.
Arakun

Postby Arakun » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm

Every angel, a.k.a. raccoon, is different. Every raccoon has his / her own personality. Concerning healthy food, it is the same...what other raccoons like, yours might not ( own experience )....You might get loads of tips, not all of them...or even none, will apply to your angel. The only key, I THINK, is to start knowing him / her, and vice versa too...all is based on experiment...There are NO BOOKS with RULES applying to ALL angels...you have to find out by yourself...you need mountains of TIME, PATIENCE and LOVE...my angels learnt some things from me and I learnt from them...no problems whatsoever !
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 pm

I agree with every ones response. the cage is the problem. Please consider an outdoor enclosure when you are not at home.
I can give you some ideas on an enclosure if you want to consider that.

do you have dogs? if so, raccoons usually will play with a dog, and even learn a little from them.

I have raised many raccoons over the years, never got bit, even if I put my hand in their food dish.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Arakun wrote:Every angel, a.k.a. raccoon, is different. Every raccoon has his / her own personality. Concerning healthy food, it is the same...what other raccoons like, yours might not ( own experience )....You might get loads of tips, not all of them...or even none, will apply to your angel. The only key, I THINK, is to start knowing him / her, and vice versa too...all is based on experiment...There are NO BOOKS with RULES applying to ALL angels...you have to find out by yourself...you need mountains of TIME, PATIENCE and LOVE...my angels learnt some things from me and I learnt from them...no problems whatsoever !

True only to an extent. Some things are just wrong no matter the personality of your animal. Like keeping a raccoon in a ferret nation. Full grown they wont even be able to fit through the hole from one level to another. Keeping an animal, especially a smart one, in a cramped cage much too small for it is not good for it's psychological health and simply never okay(baring something like being confined for medical reasons). Sometimes something is actually wrong to do and it has to be okay to say that.
Arakun

Postby Arakun » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:01 pm

I suppose everybody lives in a house and NOT in an apartment. An angel CANNOT live in an apartment...for him/her it's just a bigger cage. My kids roam around freely for quite some time. Such an angel is a curious soul and I'm happy with it. They didn't destroy anything, even if they are free. If you want to avoid your stuff being destroyed, SHOW it to these curious souls, once, twice...and afterwards they aren't interested anymore....even in my jewelry...they take it, study it and then I have to put it back in the box. Nothing happened.
Talk softly...show your hands...show and give loads of love...and freedom...try this combination...
I talk to my kids all day long, they don't understand but my voice tells them that everything is just fine, mom is here...

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”