PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Help with handling an almost adult raccoon

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Crand

Help with handling an almost adult raccoon

Postby Crand » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:29 pm

I have a young male raccoon that was raised from only a few days old , he is fairly friendly as long as he isn't being forced , he only allows me to pick him up on very limited occasions, he lives in and out of the house sleeps on a pillow above my head most nights and loves to suck my thumb(left over baby habit) my problem is he is impossible to give meds to he has a wound that requires care and he needs some antibiotics ,oral is not going to work I can't hold him down I can't get hold of him he becomes very angry and dangerous if he things I am trying to give him something,although he loves worker.. I need to give him a shot , any body got a clue how to get hold of a Tasmanian devil to do this I hate this ,,this little guy means so much to me and he is not going to want anything to do with me after this but it has to be done, does anyone have experience that can help and offer advice
Ana

Re: Help with handling an almost adult raccoon

Postby Ana » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:50 pm

I'd do it while he's asleep, right in the bed. He might not even notice if you are giving him vigorous scratching to his butt?

With oral, I sneak it into a pudding or gravy.
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:59 pm

For oral meds, try giving the pill sandwiched in a little peanut butter between two small cookies. I buy teddy grahams just for this purpose. Let him try a sample one with a little smear of peanut butter first so that he can see that its something REALLY good, and then the "payload" cookie sandwich should go down the hatch no problems.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:00 pm

I also do the peanut butter & cookie method. For shots evidently I'm the only coon owner with iron assed coons, mine don't seem to realize they are getting a shot, but that won't help you. The only thing I can think of, and it would only work once, is to get someone who is experienced with holding animals to help. Have them gear (amour) up for protection and have them hold him. If you can get oral instead its much easier to give to a hard to handle animal. Good luck
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:46 am

the oral would be better. I use to have to give my oldest raccoon meds, but it was oral. I would put the meds in syringe and squirt it in the side of his mouth. it was pill form, but, I dissolved it in a little water.

otherwise for an injection, (best for a 2 man job) double scruff the raccoon, push him to the floor. (if you have your hands where he is scuffed more in the middle of his back) once the raccoon is scuffed and pushed down, someone else give him the injection.

otherwise see if you can get a liquid in place of the injection.

(please reply if you read responses to your question) we want to know what works and what don't.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:46 pm

If you can get ahold of a dose of Convenia (one-dose, long-lasting antibiotic), that's what I would recommend. It is given sub-Q (under the skin), and if you have someone to help you, it's best. One person scruff and hold (as described above), the other pull up the skin, sink the needle and push the plunger. Just make sure the needle is IN under the skin, rather than in at one place and out at another. (Heck, even my VET, who is far more experienced than me, did that one time when giving vaccinations on a uncooperative pet! LOL)

The Convenia is a once-&-done, not a long-term, twice-daily dosing like the typical antibiotics. My one raccoon just had a nasty wound that was infected. I tried Clavamox and managed to get 2 doses in before he said "No more, Mama!!" Called my vet, and she left me pick up the Convenia. It's quite pricey ($85.00), but I'd rather pay the $$ for it, than have to wrangle and fight with my bub twice a day for 7-14 days.

I've never tried the "hide-a-pill", as others have suggested above, but it's certainly worth a try!! Good luck, and let us know how you managed.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:26 pm

The vet usually gives my coons their shots, but when my dad did it he used the same method. I (the person the coon is most bonded to) hold the coon in my arms and the vet or another person gives the shot. The last time Chloe got a shot I had a hard time afterwards extracting her from under my tshirt but there was no aggression.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”