PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

What do I do if this happens?

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kasper

What do I do if this happens?

Postby Kasper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:38 pm

So I read the thread on "What to do if animal control comes knocking at your door" and I know that it's legal in the UK to own a fox without a permit/license but I'm worried.

I don't currently own a fox of any kind at the moment but I hope to in the future but there's one thing I'm worried about.
What if the police/council come to my house after someone saying I have a fox in my house/garden and they want to take the fox away from me? Claiming it isn't legal?

I don't know what I would do in this situation where I go through all this effect to get a fox only to have it taken away from me because someone thinks I'm doing it illegally.

I'm sorry if this makes no sense but it's been my main concern since I thought about getting a fox.

Is there anyway I can prove that I am the owner of the fox?
Critters interested in owning at a later date:
- Fennec Fox, Arctic Fox, Red Fox
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What do I do if this happens?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:34 pm

The seller should give you a bill of sale. You need to hold onto that to prove it didn't come from the wild.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:05 pm

Keep a copy of the city laws in your possession. And underline the places where it says it's okay or where it doesn't say otherwise. And then also the bill of sale is a big one. Keep a hold of veterinary records as well.

You could have your fox microchipped if you're worried about someone claiming the fox isn't yours. That's proof of ownership. Two of my foxes are chipped.

If you have these things, then there shouldn't be much to worry about. If the worst of the worst happened and your fox did get seized for some reason, you would have two legs to stand on in court with those documents and you'd be able to get the fox back. That's probably the worst case scenario, but I don't foresee that happening if you have all your legal ducks in a row to start with.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:32 am

In the UK, it is legal to own any animal, there is a list of 'dangerous wild animals' which one needs a licence for, but foxes aren't one of them. If a member of the public tried to 'report' you for keeping a fox, the people who would be calling out to you should know the law.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Kasper

Postby Kasper » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:26 pm

TamanduaGirl: OK will do :)

Ash: Understood and by city laws do you mean I should print out this document? http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007 ... edule/made . Also I will definitely be getting the fox microchipped.

TamanduaGirl & Ash: You both mentioned bill of sale. What is it? and if I get the fox from somewhere like the USA and ship them to the UK, would the papers be sent with the fox or emailed to me?

Naja-naja: Is this for any and every kind of fox or just a red fox? (Double checking :))
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Bill of sale is basically a fancy term for receipt but it has more info on it like both parties contact info and signatures along with the date, price, a description of the animal(gender, color, age, ect.).
Kasper

Postby Kasper » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:38 pm

OK that makes more sense, thanks for clearing that up :)

And how would I recieve this bill of sale? Email, papers, or something else?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:13 pm

If the breeder you were getting your fox from was reputable, they'll give you the bill of sale at the time of the purchase. So when you go to pick your baby up. If for whatever reason they're not giving you one, refuse to buy unless they give you one because that would just be shady otherwise.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:15 pm

That form would be one of the documents you'd want to print out, yet. And then if there are additional city regulations you'd want those as well too.

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”