PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

How do I find out if a vet near me will look after a fox?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kasper

How do I find out if a vet near me will look after a fox?

Postby Kasper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:56 pm

So I know with a cat or dog you just bring them in and they are fine with that but, if I have fennec fox(which I hope to in the future) how do I find out if the local vets will do check-ups, neutering, etc for a fox or will they refuse?

Do I just contact them and ask? I feel rather confused by the process and would love it if someone would be happy to tell me how it works and if it is as simply as walking in and stating that I own a fox?

I am a UK citizen and it's rather uncommon to find someone with a fox/exotic animal anywhere, especially where I am.
New to the forums so I have much to learn :)
Critters interested in owning at a later date:
- Fennec Fox, Arctic Fox, Red Fox
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How do I find out if a vet near me will look after a fox?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:38 pm

Yes just call and ask. I called around when I moved here till I found one that said yes to anteaters and fennecs. She let me know she didn't have experience with the species but was willing to treat them and she's been fantastic. If I can afford to move someday I'd move closer to her office.

Tried the exotic vet later and hated that experience. I'm sure not all exotic vets are bad but not all are good and a lot look for a vet labeling themselves exotic like that. It's more important to find a good vet you like working with and can trust. If they have experience that's a bonus.

Also maybe Black Foxes UK has some sort of info like that. I know that's red foxes but if they treat reds they'd treat a fennec.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:02 pm

I just called and asked. It's as easy as that, so not hard at all. I do find phone calls intimidating though, lol.

The clinic I take my pets to only treat exotics, so they're really experienced and are used to seeing red foxes come through.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Kasper

Postby Kasper » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:32 pm

OK, if worst comes to worst and I can only find a vet that will treat them that is far away, is that really bad? Do they need fequent check-ups or are they normally ok provided I look after them correctly.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:09 pm

I simply asked my horse/dog/cat vet hospital if they'd see my raccoons, and they said yes, but also said they really didn't know the species, having worked with so very few of them. I find that I've needed to really educate myself, and in turn, educate them. The vet who mainly handles my raccoons is fresh out of vet school and has many contacts from her alma mater, so she'll often turn to colleagues or her professors to find answers if she needs to, which is great.
Since they've taken to treating my raccoons, many of my raccoon-owning friends in my area/state have begun bringing theirs to that practice, too, so they are getting lots of hands-on education. LOL
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:12 pm

My vet is about 1.5 hours away from me, but my foxes do fine. If it's an emergency, I have a local vet willing to see them.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:04 pm

My vet is an hour away. She's great but I've had animals die on the way to the vet. There's no local vet for me either, the Emergency vet is just as far away(and they don't see exotics) but I've had domestics die on the way there before too. There is an emergency number for my vet. It's supposed to be for the large livestock but since the E-vet wont see my exotics I can call it too and get her help. But distance is an issue.

So yeah being far away sucks but it's better than having no vet. Like I said if I ever can move I'd like to move closer to her(though it's an expensive area).
Kasper

Postby Kasper » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Right, I guess research into vets in one of the most important things I should so before I do anything.

Thanks for your input guys! It helps me a lot :)

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”